Rochelle Olson Strib reporter mocking Fleck

Who is Rochelle Olson?

None of her last articles were about the Gophers (except maybe the one about US Bank Stadium's prep for the Ok State game). And only two about the U in general.

Rochelle Olson - Star Tribune

Last edited:

Rochelle smiles when she sees her name posted on Gopherhole. Same for Reusse and Souhan.

Makes their day.

Yep, it would be better to just never post about them again. Nothing would make them more mad.

I hope she keeps trolling, it makes her look pathetic.

Don't click on the tweets or articles!

Yes, it was a generalization but but not one made of ignorance. How many fantastic sportswriters has Minneapolis seen in the last 20-30 years?

Sid? Nope. Barrerio? Nope. Myron? Nope. This lady? Nope. Souhan? Nope and he should have been fired for mocking Kill's seizures. Shelman? Nope but he was pretty good but also note he left to write real news. Ruesse? Not for me. He takes the easy route too much. Barreiero? Nope. Doogie? Nice guy but nope.

Enlighten me. Who are the fantastic sports writers I should read if I am a Minnesota sports fan?

I was talking on an overall national stage. Your post didnt specify "Minnesota" sports writers.

But since you asked, I think Marcus Fuller and Chip Scoggins do a really nice job currently. Also Jon K (formerly with the AP) of The Athletic does some very good work.

I was talking on an overall national stage. Your post didnt specify "Minnesota" sports writers.

But since you asked, I think Marcus Fuller and Chip Scoggins do a really nice job currently. Also Jon K (formerly with the AP) of The Athletic does some very good work.

I'll add Michael Russo, formerly on the Strib's Wild beat, one of the best ever (for any sport), now with the Athletic.

Funny to say, but sometimes we get better coverage from the Fargo Forum.

She took a shot at Pitino last week. It's sad and pathetic that some people will do anything to make a name for themselves. Does anyone actually respect sportswriters? I sure don't. They can't write well enough to do news/ write meaningful stuff and can't play sports well enough to be athletes.
It's the editors as well. Editors could put the kibash on these things, but instead they approve them.
I was sitting next to a sports writer at a bar while he was trying to meet a deadline. In short conversation I asked him how much the editors messed with his work. He said that often he had three or four revisions before the editor would approve.
My point: There is a deeper virus at the Strib than just the writer whose name is on the article.

Literally had never heard of her until she took a cheap-shot at Pitino last week or whatever.

I'd be fine never hearing from/about her again.

I’d say Sid was a fantastic sports reporter. He was a one man Minnesota sports internet for a lotta years. He worked tirelessly to uncover interesting nuggets, tips, quotes about local sports. His writing may not have been award winning but his information was. I enjoyed Sid for a lotta years. If he wants to keep working in his 90’s I’ll cut him some slack. I appreciate what Sid has done for me for Minnesota sports.

Agree with much of what you say. Sid's Rolodex was chock full of reliable sources. But we have to remember that Sid was a columnist more than a beat writer and, as such, didn't offer a ton of balanced analysis that a market should expect. He has consistently been a tremendous promoter of all Minnesota teams and for that he should be greatly appreciated. He can work as long as he wants.

Yes, it was a generalization but but not one made of ignorance. How many fantastic sportswriters has Minneapolis seen in the last 20-30 years?

Sid? Nope. Barrerio? Nope. Myron? Nope. This lady? Nope. Souhan? Nope and he should have been fired for mocking Kill's seizures. Shelman? Nope but he was pretty good but also note he left to write real news. Ruesse? Not for me. He takes the easy route too much. Barreiero? Nope. Doogie? Nice guy but nope.

Enlighten me. Who are the fantastic sports writers I should read if I am a Minnesota sports fan?

Scoggins is probably the one exception. For the most part he is very fair and does a nice job.

Let me clear this up for all of you. Olson is a "general assignment" reporter for the Strib. She is not a sports reporter. If there is anything remotely resembling a scandal at the U, she's the one they send. She for sure covered the Reggie Lynch assault case, and I believe she was involved in the football sexual assault scandal/boycott. The Strib (mistakenly) sent her to the signing day press conference specifically to press Fleck about the "suspended" players. When Fleck refused to provide additional info (which is his right....team rules, not a legal issue), she continued to press the issue to no avail. Since then, she's taken to passive-aggressively mocking U coaches on Twitter. It's highly unprofessional and if KFAN has actually managed to quiet Meatsauce on his aggressive trolling of the football program, you'd think the Strib could do the same.

(mistakenly) if KFAN has actually managed to quiet Meatsauce on his aggressive trolling of the football program, you'd think the Strib could do the same.

I have only heard Meatsauce on rare occasions. What's his beef? I know that John Kreisel has thrown shade at the Gopher fooball program, but I saw a retweet of him at a bar in Detroit as it said he was going to the bowl game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Let me clear this up for all of you. Olson is a "general assignment" reporter for the Strib. She is not a sports reporter. If there is anything remotely resembling a scandal at the U, she's the one they send. She for sure covered the Reggie Lynch assault case, and I believe she was involved in the football sexual assault scandal/boycott. The Strib (mistakenly) sent her to the signing day press conference specifically to press Fleck about the "suspended" players. When Fleck refused to provide additional info (which is his right....team rules, not a legal issue), she continued to press the issue to no avail. Since then, she's taken to passive-aggressively mocking U coaches on Twitter. It's highly unprofessional and if KFAN has actually managed to quiet Meatsauce on his aggressive trolling of the football program, you'd think the Strib could do the same.

At least we now know who our fav new poster G4L is...

Spells “GAL”.

Mods, can you please change the title of this thread to: Rochelle Olson Strib "reporter" mocking Fleck?

remember George Dohrmann? He was the Pioneer Press reporter who broke the story on the Gopher men's BB academic fraud case. He won the Pulitzer Prize for reporting for his coverage of the story.

message to reporters - break a story on a scandal, advance your career.

If it bleeds, it leads. in other words, scandal and tragedy will always top positive stories.

Does that mean that some reporters may over-reach in going for a story? sure.

Who knows - maybe the Strib staff sits around every day plotting their next negative article about the U of MN. I tend to think that is an exaggeration.

The U should just ban the Strib from their pressers. Absolutely no point in keeping these ******-bags around.
The only coverage they provide is a smear campaign. Give the spots to GopherIllustrated and The Daily Gopher instead.
Could also give a pass to GopherHole. I'm sure the people here would love to go ask a question or two about the program without being complete jerks.

Do it subtly, deny their press passes without saying anything about it, and when they complain, respond with quotes from Ruesse's and Olsen's Twitter feeds.
That would call attention to their complete lack of professionalism and hopefully get them both completely canned.

Last edited:

I have only heard Meatsauce on rare occasions. What's his beef? I know that John Kreisel has thrown shade at the Gopher fooball program, but I saw a retweet of him at a bar in Detroit as it said he was going to the bowl game.

Meatsauce has a horrible self-esteem and I think constantly ripping on less successful programs made him feel better. I am not saying this as a rip on him, it's honestly my arm-chair assessment of the guy.

He essentially got RubeChat removed from KFAN's website (despite it generating a lot of clicks) for personal reasons.

Rochelle smiles when she sees her name posted on Gopherhole. Same for Reusse and Souhan.

Makes their day.

That's weird, because the fatass is always whining about gopherhole..........and yet he loves when his name is posted here.

Could you connect the dots for me on this? Thanks

Meatsauce has a horrible self-esteem and I think constantly ripping on less successful programs made him feel better. I am not saying this as a rip on him, it's honestly my arm-chair assessment of the guy.

He essentially got RubeChat removed from KFAN's website (despite it generating a lot of clicks) for personal reasons.

I miss good 'ol RubeChat. The Meatsauce/Fallon divorce stuff is what ended it?

Yes, he did get rube chat removed.

He would rip anything and everything.

Then, when it magically turned back on him with his divorce and all..........all of sudden ripping someone was not fair. It's how those losers operate. Rip anyone you want, just not them.

That guy keeps a job somehow. It is KFAN though, so that explains a lot.

Last edited:

Just checked out her Twitter, wow, strange. So she’s trying to be funny? As a writer she should know sarcasm and humor isn’t conveyed easily through words.

I literally had no idea who this chick was until I read this thread.

That's weird, because the fatass is always whining about gopherhole..........and yet he loves when his name is posted here.

Reusse is a champion-level troll. He trolls all the local fanbases but has said often that Gopher fans are the easiest to reel in. He throws crap out there just to get a reaction, and we fall for it every time. When we complain, he wins.

I miss good 'ol RubeChat. The Meatsauce/Fallon divorce stuff is what ended it?

Yeah.

The story is that she was cheating and it was obvious via something on social media. From what I understand, people weren't even that cruel (like they weren't mocking him that she cheated), but he essentially got his dad involved and somehow got Rubechat taken down. I didn't really post there much at the time and I don't really follow social media that closely, so I am not intentionally being vague.

But essentially yes, he ripped people all of the time and then when it was turned on him, he got RubeChat removed.

]That's weird, because the fatass is always whining about gopherhole..........and yet he loves when his name is posted here.

I think FtF is saying that for them, they just want attention.

Reusse is a champion-level troll. He trolls all the local fanbases but has said often that Gopher fans are the easiest to reel in. He throws crap out there just to get a reaction, and we fall for it every time. When we complain, he wins.

I've heard him talk of gopher hole. He hates this place with a passion. It's no trolling act. Take that to the TCF bank! I love that he legit hates us. I love it.

He apparently also really wanted Les Miles to get the Gophers coaching job, so basically this season he'd live tweet during games (especially the losses) and continually post pictures of Les Miles and make backhanded comments about running to the other side of the field. Basically, since KFAN is the broadcast home of all Gophers sports, the brass told him to knock it off or he'd lose his cushy gig.

I do feel bad for him about the divorce though. Falen #$%&ed him over. There were a lot of rumors that the whole marriage was a publicity stunt, but it's almost like nobody told him that.

Top Bottom