Tyree Jackson Buffalo Grad Transfer

Just say no!

We're good with what we have. By the time the guy comes here, gets acquainted with the receivers etc, learns the plays, disappears, what does that do for loyalty for the guys that you recruited for the long haul? If we had a desperate need, I'd say go for it. We don't however.

He will have some big time options anyways so I wouldn't expect we'd get him even if we wanted him.

ND QB Brandon Wimbush is also on the market as well as Justin Fields from Georgia. Will be interesting to see where all three end up.

Rumblings are Fields is a done deal to OSU. And agree, I think Tyree Jackson ends up at a much bigger football school than Minnesota, but I'm fine with that. I like the QB situation this team is in right now.

Rumblings are Fields is a done deal to OSU. And agree, I think Tyree Jackson ends up at a much bigger football school than Minnesota, but I'm fine with that. I like the QB situation this team is in right now.

Yep.

Would be interesting if OSU took Jackson as their one year stop gap as Fields sits out a year.

This might be a little off topic but I guess it's kind of related to the thread.

I saw this tweet from Tate Martell today and apparently when people asked if it was referring to Fields, Martell favorited those tweets. OSU fans seem to be praising his competitive spirit and fight for this tweet.

My question is if a current gopher player ever said something like this referring to a prospective incoming recruit or transfer, would you guys praise them or be disappointed? I'd be pretty pissed if this happened here and would hope PJ would talk to the player, make to delete that crap and tell him that he I am going to do what's best for the program and you need to do you part.

This might be a little off topic but I guess it's kind of related to the thread.

I saw this tweet from Tate Martell today and apparently when people asked if it was referring to Fields, Martell favorited those tweets. OSU fans seem to be praising his competitive spirit and fight for this tweet.

My question is if a current gopher player ever said something like this referring to a prospective incoming recruit or transfer, would you guys praise them or be disappointed? I'd be pretty pissed if this happened here and would hope PJ would talk to the player, make to delete that crap and tell him that he I am going to do what's best for the program and you need to do you part.

Agreed 100%. This just shows Martell’s immaturity. Martell isn’t near as good as he thinks he is. They won’t even hardly let him throw a pass when they do play him.

I’m not sure ZA5 or TM2 are good enough that we should say no to a legit grad transfer. Moot point tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed 100%. This just shows Martell’s immaturity. Martell isn’t near as good as he thinks he is. They won’t even hardly let him throw a pass when they do play him.
Martell is a good QB but a punk. Has growing up to do.

Washington State would seem like an ideal landing spot for Tyree Jackson.

What is wrong with this guy saying he isn’t going to miss his second chance to be the starter?

I’m not sure ZA5 or TM2 are good enough that we should say no to a legit grad transfer. Moot point tho.

Agree it's a moot point, but is Jackson that much of a sure thing upgrade? Maybe, but not from what I can see.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

What is wrong with this guy saying he isn’t going to miss his second chance to be the starter?

Thats not what he's saying.

He's telling Fields you already missed on your first school because you couldn't beat out Fromm so don't come here because you won't beat out me.

Thats not what he's saying.

He's telling Fields you already missed on your first school because you couldn't beat out Fromm so don't come here because you won't beat out me.

You have no idea what he is saying. Nor does anyone except him

Jackson will be a great get for someone, but it's not the right fit for the Gophs, imo. We're better off developing the 4 young QB's on the roster next season and trying to better ourselves incrementally.

Except Martell was favoriting tweets that asked if he was referring to Fields.

If he was saying what I wrote, that is also referring to fields because that’s his competition

Not sure we will take a grad transfer at QB. But I see a cornerback from Spanish Fort, Al by the name of D.J. James, who didn’t sign with Aiabama, has official visits with Nebraska and Iowa this month. Mentioning in the article he still was open to other visits. Come on PJ, fly down to Mobile.

Jackson will be a great get for someone, but it's not the right fit for the Gophs, imo. We're better off developing the 4 young QB's on the roster next season and trying to better ourselves incrementally.

I think I would take him. Only having one year makes it tough, but I think he could really be the difference maker to take us to a new level. If I didn't think he could truely be a game changer I'd say pass.

Last edited:

I think I would take him. Only having one year makes it tough, but I think he could really be the difference maker to take us to a new level.

He's not that good. The only plus he would have over our current QB's would be he can throw over our line. Something Jacob Clark can do as well at 6'5. Save the spot for a player who actually will help us win games. Watching the Buffalo games has convinced me he would only work if he converted to TE.

He's not that good. The only plus he would have over our current QB's would be he can throw over our line. Something Jacob Clark can do as well at 6'5. Save the spot for a player who actually will help us win games. Watching the Buffalo games has convinced me he would only work if he converted to TE.

He has a stronger arm and is more mobile as well. He isn't always super accurate though.

I've changed my mind on Jackson.

At first, I didn't think it made sense, but now I've come around. I think he has his eyes on a bigger prize but he would make sense for us.

(1) He would only be on scholarship for 1 season, so it would re-open up a scholarship for next year;
(2) We would have more class balance in the QB room (Jackson - SR; Morgan - SO; ZA - (RS - FR); Clark & Kramer - FR);
(3) If he beats out Morgan, we have improved QB play, if he doesn't, see (1) and (2) - - depth and low risk.

At first, I didn't think it made sense, but now I've come around. I think he has his eyes on a bigger prize but he would make sense for us.

(1) He would only be on scholarship for 1 season, so it would re-open up a scholarship for next year;
(2) We would have more class balance in the QB room (Jackson - SR; Morgan - SO; ZA - (RS - FR); Clark & Kramer - FR);
(3) If he beats out Morgan, we have improved QB play, if he doesn't, see (1) and (2) - - depth and low risk.

Yup, and if he really is a difference maker at QB just imagine the season we could have. The offensive weapons are there for him.

That's what I'm thinking. One year of schollie use and allows us to redshirt a bunch of guys. Morgan still gets experience in mop up duty.

Tyree averaged just 179 rushing yards each season the past two years. His mobility (ie running ability) is being overstated by some. And playing in the wide open MAC tends to inflate passing numbers.

Chemistry seems to be very good with the team right now. I wouldn't risk upsetting it with adding him to the QB mix.

Tanner Morgan went 4-2 in his 6 starts. Extrapolate that out to a full season (12 games) and his numbers are:

152 completions
260 attempts
58.5% completion
2,304 yards
18 touchdowns
8 interceptions
149.59 QB Rating

By comparison, Tyree over his last 12 games

208 completions
380 attempts
54.7% completion
2,942 yards
22 touchdowns
12 interceptions
132.56 QB Rating

Like I said, I'd stick with Morgan. Two years in the offense and shown to be a winner on this team.

Well, Fleck said he's keeping a couple scholarships for "free agents".
Jackson's top 3 receivers really have some nice yards per catch averages.
Also, I say this without knowing a thing about his pass catchers, his percentage might look a little better with the Gopher receivers.

I was surprised everyone seemed so against this at first. We have no idea if ZA or TM will be any better than Mitch Leidner. I only went to one Gopher game this year, against Northwestern. TM had two bad INT's that game and I was surprised his arm didn't look stronger. If Jackson is that good he might make the difference in a couple of wins. I only saw him play one game, but I thought he looked pretty good in the Bowl Game for Buffalo. They mentioned that he was going to a grad transfer and the first thing I thought about is that he would look good in Maroon and Gold. I had no idea he already had any relationship with Fleck at the time. It would seem the Gophers would be a great place for Jackson also with so many weapons we have coming back. I have a feeling that Jacob Clark or someone in the 2020 class is going to be the QB of the future for the Gophers, and not ZA or TM.

Tyree averaged just 179 rushing yards each season the past two years. His mobility (ie running ability) is being overstated by some. And playing in the wide open MAC tends to inflate passing numbers.

Chemistry seems to be very good with the team right now. I wouldn't risk upsetting it with adding him to the QB mix.

Tanner Morgan went 4-2 in his 6 starts. Extrapolate that out to a full season (12 games) and his numbers are:

152 completions
260 attempts
58.5% completion
2,304 yards
18 touchdowns
8 interceptions
149.59 QB Rating

By comparison, Tyree over his last 12 games

208 completions
380 attempts
54.7% completion
2,942 yards
22 touchdowns
12 interceptions
132.56 QB Rating

Like I said, I'd stick with Morgan. Two years in the offense and shown to be a winner on this team.

When I watched him play, I didn't think of him being a running QB. He has a big arm and is a large athletic man. We pretty much ran the ball down the throat of GT and Wisconsin. I thought TM's INT's and play in the Northwestern game were a huge reason why we lost. I don't like ripping a 19 or 20 year old kid and would never boo him, but I think there is a pretty big upgrade from Morgan to Jackson.

We have competent quarterbacks. Use the grad transfer on important needs that are specific to next season.

Top Bottom