Tyree Jackson Buffalo Grad Transfer

When I watched him play, I didn't think of him being a running QB. He has a big arm and is a large athletic man. We pretty much ran the ball down the throat of GT and Wisconsin. I thought TM's INT's and play in the Northwestern game were a huge reason why we lost. I don't like ripping a 19 or 20 year old kid and would never boo him, but I think there is a pretty big upgrade from Morgan to Jackson.

Tough to gauge a QB, good or bad, on one game. For instance, here are Morgan and Jackson's numbers from the same week as the Northwestern loss you mentioned.

Morgan vs Northwestern (lost 24-14)
19/32
59.4% completion
197 yards
1 touchdown
2 interception
108.90 QB Rating

Jackson vs Ohio (lost 52-17)
9/21
42.9% completion
116 yards
0 touchdowns
2 interceptions
70.21 QB Rating

Right or wrong, I'm sure many Buffalo fans blamed Jackson that day.

I want no part of him. It's a huge red flag that he's willing to bolt from his team where is the established starter.

Keep developing the guys you have and keep your chemistry intact. They will have 4 solid options next year, and one will emerge as a good starter.

Now, if Justin Fields wants to RTB, well......

Looks like he was just ok from a stats perspective. I think Morgan is a winner. I’d roll with him until enough evidence accumulates to say otherwise. He makes plays. For a first year starter coming off the bench thought he did a phenomenal job. IMO his arm strength is just fine. He doesn’t have any trouble threading the needle through the middle of the field. Timing on deep balls might be a bit off at times but nowhere near as bad as Annexstad.

If we want a tall, thick big armed QB with average stats at a lower level of competition we already have him on the roster in Seth Green. And Green is a better athlete.

I've changed my mind on Jackson.

At first, I didn't think it made sense, but now I've come around. I think he has his eyes on a bigger prize but he would make sense for us.

(1) He would only be on scholarship for 1 season, so it would re-open up a scholarship for next year;
(2) We would have more class balance in the QB room (Jackson - SR; Morgan - SO; ZA - (RS - FR); Clark & Kramer - FR);
(3) If he beats out Morgan, we have improved QB play, if he doesn't, see (1) and (2) - - depth and low risk.

Tanner will be a RS Soph and ZA will be a Soph.

I want no part of him. It's a huge red flag that he's willing to bolt from his team where is the established starter.

Keep developing the guys you have and keep your chemistry intact. They will have 4 solid options next year, and one will emerge as a good starter.

Now, if Justin Fields wants to RTB, well......

I would have taken Russell Wilson...

I've changed my mind on Jackson.

At first, I didn't think it made sense, but now I've come around. I think he has his eyes on a bigger prize but he would make sense for us.

(1) He would only be on scholarship for 1 season, so it would re-open up a scholarship for next year;
(2) We would have more class balance in the QB room (Jackson - SR; Morgan - SO; ZA - (RS - FR); Clark & Kramer - FR);
(3) <b>If he beats out Morgan, we have improved QB play, </b>if he doesn't, see (1) and (2) - - depth and low risk.

Downside of that is if we win more games due to a better QB then PJ is more likely to be offered other jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyree is an elite talent unlike anything we’ve seen here. Fleck wanted him badly at WMU and he may want him badly here.

If he decides to go to the NFL he would get drafted highly based on raw ability. Now if he decides to stay in school for a year, he may want to transfer to get more exposure and improve his numbers.

He may feel like his receivers, coaches, offensive line etc. held him back statistically and he may want to show what he can do with better talent around him.

If Fleck wants him, I’m all in. You’ve gotta trust PJ in this situation. He’s shown he can recruits quarterbacks and also shown he’s not just going to give the job to the incoming transfer QB.

Agreed, good chance JaCkson is grad transfer because he wants to improve NFL chances. I would take him. Allows us to red shirt Annexstad, and also two incoming freshman. Builds the program where we are starting Juniors and Seniors. Morgan then competes with Annexstad and they are bigger, stronger and seasoned Qb's by then. Get Jackson get big leads and Morgan plays anyways.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

‪If you can get Jackson, it’s a no brainer. All you have to do is look around the conference for why you don’t think twice about this. Michigan’s got more 4* QBs than they can count but they still went and got Shea Patterson, Ohio State’s got a similar situation and Tate Martell is made for their offense but they are still going after Justin Fields, Northwestern went and got Hunter Johnson. If you aren’t doing everything you can to get better in any way possible then you are going to get left behind at this level. If the kid wants to come here, I don’t think PJ allows him to finish his sentence before saying yes. We have a bright future but we aren’t good enough to be turning down NFL talent. ‬

‪My guess is he ends up down south but who knows. Fleck’s pulled enough rabbits out of the hat already that anything is possible especially with a kid he’s recruited previously. ‬

I wonder how the heads would spin if people learned that the staff kicked the tires really hard on Kalil Tate before he decided to return to Tucson.

I wonder if bringing in Jackson might drive either ZA or TM to transfer. They might welcome the competition and see Jackson's appearance as something that could help the team or they might resent the implication that they aren't good enough after helping the program grow to this point.

I wonder if bringing in Jackson might drive either ZA or TM to transfer. They might welcome the competition and see Jackson's appearance as something that could help the team or they might resent the implication that they aren't good enough after helping the program grow to this point.

Jackson is a freak athlete and perhaps a better runner than Morgan, but his passing stats are basically the same as a junior as Morgan's were as a Freshman. I don't see why you'd bring in someone that would be a marginal upgrade at best and then rock the boat (pun intended) with the rest of the QB crew. Just keep developing the guys we have. Let Annexstad and Clark redshirt next year and go from there.

The more I marinate on this, the more I've come around to thinking we'd be fools not to pursue Jackson. The same way I changed my mind on aspiring NFL players playing the bowl game, when Fleck said "We want to be that kind of program" (a program that sends players to the league and is known to support their decision when it's time).

On that note, I think it'd be good to be known as the kind of program where big time players come for one year, before they go pro. It would bring a lot of good publicity to the team when we signed him, most likely making us the cool pick to win the West & when he gets drafted next year, we'd get more publicity still.

I wish I knew what Fleck is thinking. Unfortunately he can't tell us.

Sometimes I wonder what I’m missing but why, in a qb-friendly spread system at a lower level are his stats, eg completion percentage relatively average? Sometimes things like receivers and protection can play huge roles in that. Anyone have a legit analysis on this guy? Accuracy issues? Progressions?

Sure, it’s nice to be able to throw lasers 30 yards down field but the Gophers really need a solid run game and a solid short/intermediate game to go along with stout defense. Those are the absolute essentials. Move the chains. I think most FBS QBs can throw it deep enough to keep most defenses honest. In the NFL velocity and range increase in importance. I guess I’m a bit concerned he hasn’t ripped it up in the G5 like Vernon Adams did in the FCS. I’d like to see total domination. Lots of transfer busts over the years.

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Given how well the gophers coaching staff does with QBs, I'd say he could be coached up even more & his cannon arm put to good use.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jackson is a freak athlete and perhaps a better runner than Morgan, but his passing stats are basically the same as a junior as Morgan's were as a Freshman. I don't see why you'd bring in someone that would be a marginal upgrade at best and then rock the boat (pun intended) with the rest of the QB crew. Just keep developing the guys we have. Let Annexstad and Clark redshirt next year and go from there.

Perhaps?

Wonder when he is going to make his decision. He needs to learn a new system, get acquainted with his new teammates etc.

Jackson only ran for 161 last year. Also seems like Fleck doesn't want to use qb as a runner. Hard to see Jackson's running being a big factor here.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Good year to do that, not a lot of QB talent hitting the draft this year. That will boost his stock for sure. He'll get over-drafted because of that alone

He reminds me of that Virginia Tech QB from a few years ago. Huge kid with a strong arm and will get drafted based off potential.

Top Bottom