Matt Garin all-star game stats!

FiveStarFan

Reaction score
Garin appeared to dominate the first ever Mainland All Stars vs. Hawaii All Stars. I think his performance was over shaddowed by Ohio State committ Corey Brown having 3 picks. Here is Garin's stat line: 4 tackles, 1 pass break up, and the big one...3 sacks! Nobody else on the whole mainland team even had 1 sack! Sounds like a great classic under the radar Minnesota kid! :D:D

I was hoping to see this game, but I read somewhere the only tv for it was west coast based. let me know if you find any youtube vid.

I play football at Eagan High School and we play Eastview every year so I got a chance to watch Garin in person this year and he was a force. He may be undersized, but he is faster and quicker than any tackle he will face. He pretty much single handedly carried that defense and his whole team. The thing that was most impressive about him was that he was the smartest player on the field. He could sniff out a screen or swing pass and completely shut it down. He should be a great Gopher DE.
________
Mexico City Hotels

Saw him play twice against Rosemount - think he had a total of 2 tackles in 2 games. The unheralded junior tackle from Rosemount made him invisible in 2 important games for Eastview. I wasn't impressed - hopefully he is better than he showed those games.

Garin was never blocked one-on-one. Rosemount did a great job against him, but they certainly didn't block him with just a tackle. He was schemed against and run away from all season.

Garin was never blocked one-on-one. Rosemount did a great job against him, but they certainly didn't block him with just a tackle. He was schemed against and run away from all season.

Not true

I watched the match-up closely both games and #55 for Rosemount (Considine, 6-3, 210) had him one on one the majority of the time.

When they ran at Garin, he was doubled by the wing most of the time. When they ran away, or rolled away, he was one-on-one. Rosemount had a pair of very good tackles, but they did not always go man-up on him.

Rosemount's scheme was tough on a DE with thier option game. I think they neutralized him well by having success with their big FB up the middle, and also getting their QB to the edge. Garin was trying to stop both plays and it's just not possible.

Extrapolate

What does this guy look like with an equal or better player directly next to him or on the other defensive end?

This is based on the point that it might be easy to neutralize an all world player some of the time. But two all continent players might be the better way to go. The question is can he contribute, and how soon?

When they ran at Garin, he was doubled by the wing most of the time. When they ran away, or rolled away, he was one-on-one. Rosemount had a pair of very good tackles, but they did not always go man-up on him.

Rosemount's scheme was tough on a DE with thier option game. I think they neutralized him well by having success with their big FB up the middle, and also getting their QB to the edge. Garin was trying to stop both plays and it's just not possible.

Garin will definately be redshirted. He's undersized for DE by a lot. Honestly, i question him being able to get to 250. He's got thin legs. However, he does have a lot of room to grow and fill out. Lee Campbell added a lot of weight in a hurry, and i would say Garin's frame is similar.

A HS D-Lineman can be neutralized by the double team fairly easily. They don't quite have the repetoire or the technique to beat 2 men, no matter how talented they are.

Garin is very solid fundamentally. He's got a high football IQ and plays with a lot of energy. If he can put on the weight, i don't see why he can't be every bit as good as WVD. If he can't put on the weight, i wouldn't be suprised to see him shift to LB or TE. He's a very good athlete.

mainland vs Hawaii

This game was played for many years during the 70's

Totally Dominate

Matt Garin will totally dominate at the next level, he's guero and from Minnesota, how could he not dominate? Will he be as good as Willie Vandesteeg? probably not, but who could? No one is better than Willie and don't try to argue that anybody is because that is not accepted here.

Put it to rest, lawrence21. You are making yourself sound like an idiot.

Top Bottom