Next year's depth chart

It is pretty impressive the depth that has been built at O-line, D-line, and wide receiver by this staff.

The depth at O-line is a hope at this point...Olson, Andries, Faalele are solid... apparently Dunlap can play, Schlueter in some role can play.

After that, we are hoping on the unknown in Dickson, Schmitz, Beier, Sassack, Davis, York, Boe and Guedet...Cooper to gray shirt...would love to see a grad transfer or juco OL added to the mix...only 13 scholarship olineman on roster for next Fall as it stands now...PJ has said he'd like to have 18

so what is the two-deep at safety to start 2019?

Jacob Huff leaves...he was very solid

Winfield returns...can he stay healthy? is he a true safety or more of a hybrid lb/cb/s?
Howden returns...got thrown in the mix as a true frosh when Winfield and then Shenault went down.

After that, all unknowns.

Can Chris Williamson play safety?...Williamson was a big piece of the Rossi turnaround as a run stopper/pass rusher/cover guy/physical presence in the secondary...kind of a hybrid role...he and Coughlin set wide and close to line of scrimmage on the edge outside of Mafe and Winston basically shut down the Tech option game

Sapp, Swenson, Aune, CJ Smith were listed as safeties on depth chart...I would guess Sapp is front runner to take Jacob Huff's spot...none of these guys got significant minutes beyond special teams...none really stood out on special teams (like young Cashman, young D Travis)

Kiondre, T Smith, Coney Durr were your cover guys...Durr would be guy most likely to move to safety?...Justus Harris has played some...Bishop McDonald sat year out after transferring from UM-Duluth

juco Clemmons has some size...listed as a corner...he had to be promised some likely immediate playing time to flip on UK
high school recruit Nubin has some size...listed as a corner
high school recruit Solomon Brown primarily a corner?

a grad transfer, juco, or late high school signing still possible?

move a current wr or rb to the secondary? lot of bodies at both spots...Phil Howard had been mentioned as possibly doing this...tough to break into WR mix of Tyler, Bateman, Autman Bell, Douglas...Fleck seems to like Manns potential at WR...Seth Green still listed as a WR...sounds like SpannFord is in plans as a pass catching option...sounds like Nnamdi, Brown-Stephens and maybe Potts could be in WR/pass catching back mix right away

I think Howard will make the move to defense full time and be on the depth chart by the 2019 opener. He is way too athletic to not be on the field more.

Doesn't it concern you that would be removing our best player away from our biggest weakness. Coughlin was our ONLY pass rush last year.

I'd argue that we really need him at LB with Cashman gone and also we have young guys on the rise at DE: Otomewo, Mafe, Reigelsberger and Ahantou

I think Howard will make the move to defense full time and be on the depth chart by the 2019 opener. He is way too athletic to not be on the field more.

Wouldn't we say the same thing about Douglas? Someone already brought up the idea of him moving back to defense. Seems like TJ, CAB, and Bateman are a tremendous trio.

Initially I thought we'd see Dickson at LT, but after yesterday's game, I'm penciling Andries there.

QB: Morgan / Annexstad / Clark
RB: Smith / Brooks / Ibrahim
WR: Johnson / Manns / Gibson / Van Dyne
WR: Bateman / Green / Adim-Medumere / Geary
WR: Autman-Bell / Douglas / Howard / Brown-Stephens
TE: Paulson / Spann-Ford / Witham / Bursch
LT: Andries / Dickson / Guedet
LG: Olson / Beier
C: Schmitz / Boe
RG: Dunlap Jr / Sassack
RT: Faalele / Schlueter / York

DE: DeLattiboudere / Otomewo / Reigelsperger
DT: Smith / Silver / Cheney / Carter
DT: Schad / Renner / Teague / Hickcox
DE: Coughlin / Mafe / Devers / Anderson
OLB: Martin / Oliver / Gordon
MLB: Barber / Sari-Marin
OLB: Willis / Rush / Guthrie
CB: Williamson / Thomas / Brown
SS: Sapp III / Howden / Swenson
FS: Winfield Jr / Nubin / Aune
CB: Smith / Durr / Harris

I think Mafe will start (he has been outstanding) and Carter moves to LB.

I'd argue that we really need him at LB with Cashman gone and also we have young guys on the rise at DE: Otomewo, Mafe, Reigelsberger and Ahantou

Plus, I don't believe having Coughlin at LB will necessarily make him a less effective pass rusher.

I am in no way convinced Smith and/or Brooks are going to play here again...maybe one of the two, both would surprise me...great if it happens, but I will believe it when I see it...Smith has to get a waiver, has to recover, has to decide this is best option for him...Brooks has to recover, has to decide this is best option for him...Ibrahim body of work in last few weeks has to make both of them think a little bit...

I think Olson may move to center.

Kiondre seems to be overlooked by a lot of people as a very good cover corner.

So are you saying that Martin was talking to an agent, and that's why he was punished?

Otherwise, I can't think of something he could have done that was so bad that Fleck suspended him AND would bury him on the depth chart for the rest of his career here ... but that wasn't illegal and didn't trigger a university investigation.

I am in no way convinced Smith and/or Brooks are going to play here again...maybe one of the two, both would surprise me...great if it happens, but I will believe it when I see it...Smith has to get a waiver, has to recover, has to decide this is best option for him...Brooks has to recover, has to decide this is best option for him...Ibrahim body of work in last few weeks has to make both of them think a little bit...

That is interesting regarding Brooks and Smith. Smith may be ready to go by fall camp, but Brooks might not be ready until mid season again.

I agree on Kiondre. He was really good when he was healthy this year.

I think Smith gets the waiver and comes back.

Im not sure Brooks will. If he does Im not convinced he will be the same player

Wouldn't we say the same thing about Douglas? Someone already brought up the idea of him moving back to defense. Seems like TJ, CAB, and Bateman are a tremendous trio.

I would not...DD made the field quite regularly at WR, and I expect he will get more targets in 2019. Will be primary returner for the foreseeable future as well.

I would not...DD made the field quite regularly at WR, and I expect he will get more targets in 2019. Will be primary returner for the foreseeable future as well.

He could be returner playing defense, too ... but you make a good point!

So are you saying that Martin was talking to an agent, and that's why he was punished?

Otherwise, I can't think of something he could have done that was so bad that Fleck suspended him AND would bury him on the depth chart for the rest of his career here ... but that wasn't illegal and didn't trigger a university investigation.

If something occurs, but law enforcement doesn't know about it, is it still illegal?

Doesn't it concern you that would be removing our best player away from our biggest weakness. Coughlin was our ONLY pass rush last year.

He played LB yesterday, that seemed to work out OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He played LB yesterday, that seemed to work out OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be fair, Georgia Tech wasn't going to pass the ball much, so removing your best pass rusher from the equation wasn't as big a deal. If they feel they can get enough pressure with the other DE's then I think we'll see Coughlin move to LB. But that remains to be seen.

If something occurs, but law enforcement doesn't know about it, is it still illegal?

So you're saying Fleck covered up a crime??? No, I don't believe there is any chance of that happening. Not at the U .... not after the absolute scandal that happened with J Robinson.

Agreed. Ibrahim is a tough runner and a very solid back, but the offensive line was dominant in the bowl game. Cole Banham would have put up 150.

Rachel Banham would have been good for at least 75.

I forgot Ahanotu when I posted. Quite frankly, our D-Line is as deep as I can remember. Should be able to rotate bodies and keep everyone fresh.

I also forgot the Juco corner Kelvin Clemmons. He likely cracks the 2 deep as well.

100%. They didn't bring in a Juco to sit on the bench.

He rooms with Winfield, Coughlin and Barber, and all of them seem to be pretty clean cut and disciplined. Can’t believe it was anything too major and feel he will be back in his role to start the spring and remain there all of next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It involved breaking a team rule, after the Wisconsin victory, late Saturday night. Something just about every college football player & student, has done. Not the kind of thing that keeps a guy off the team.

No one, hence the use of quotation marks. Glad I could educate you on how that works.

I'm not sure you know how quotation marks work.

You quoted something, a quote is something that someone says.

For instance, you couldn't "educate" any one on anything. That is a proper use of quotation marks, because you actually said "educate" (see, I did it again).

It involved breaking a team rule, after the Wisconsin victory, late Saturday night. Something just about every college football player & student, has done. Not the kind of thing that keeps a guy off the team.

Well someone was saying he wasn't going to play LB here again, and made it sound like it was because of the violation. That could be bad info.

Is he not 21 yet? Must be close. None the less, a MIP is something. As is smoking weed. But suspending a player for either of those things? I get making an example out of someone, but those are two pretty minor offenses in my book ...

Top Bottom