Next year's depth chart

I don't ever recall being this excited about both the Offense and Defense.

One thing I'd like to see is the Gophers having eighteen OLs on scholarship as PJ Fleck alluded to.

I don't ever recall being this excited about both the Offense and Defense.

One thing I'd like to see is the Gophers having eighteen OLs on scholarship as PJ Fleck alluded to.

^This.

We have had too many seasons derailed by injuries to the OL. Let’s get a few more OL on the roster and build that depth again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the irony department: people are discussing the depth chart 8 months before the next game. The way the Gophers handle their depth chart, half the time we don't know who's going to start or be the backups the day before a game.

Hey, I get that Coaches are trying to gain any advantage, but I just think that, if the official depth chart released by the team is not always accurate, why release one?
I cover HS football, and 99% of the time, I can call a coach mid-week and get his two-deeps for the next game, and they are correct - unless some kid gets hurt in practice late in the week. If a HS coach can release an accurate depth chart, a D1 FB program should be able to do the same.

In the irony department: people are discussing the depth chart 8 months before the next game. The way the Gophers handle their depth chart, half the time we don't know who's going to start or be the backups the day before a game.

Hey, I get that Coaches are trying to gain any advantage, but I just think that, if the official depth chart released by the team is not always accurate, why release one?
I cover HS football, and 99% of the time, I can call a coach mid-week and get his two-deeps for the next game, and they are correct - unless some kid gets hurt in practice late in the week. If a HS coach can release an accurate depth chart, a D1 FB program should be able to do the same.

For comparison, college hockey releases line charts, but not til an hour or two before the game starts.

STrib: Glimpse into the Gophers' future: A projected 2019 starting lineup

per Randy:

How the Gophers’ starting lineups on offense and defense could look next year, with player’s class in 2019:

Offense

QB: Tanner Morgan, sophomore

RB: Rodney Smith, senior

WR: Tyler Johnson, senior

WR: Rashod Bateman, sophomore

WR: Chris Autman-Bell, sophomore

TE: Brevyn Spann-Ford, freshman

LT: Jason Dickson, junior

LG: Blaise Andries, sophomore

C: Conner Olson, junior

RG: Curtis Dunlap Jr., freshman

RT: Daniel Faalele, sophomore

Defense

DE: Winston DeLattiboudere III, senior

DT: O.J. Smith, senior

DT: Keonte Schad, junior

DE: Esezi Otomewo, sophomore

LB: Carter Coughlin, senior

LB: Thomas Barber, senior

LB: Kamal Martin, senior

CB: Terell Smith, sophomore

S: Antoine Winfield Jr., sophomore

S: Benny Sapp III, sophomore

CB: Kiondre Thomas, junior

http://www.startribune.com/glimpse-...e-a-projected-2019-starting-lineup/503592122/

Go Gophers!!

If Spann-Ford is supposed to start next year, why didn't we see more of him in the few games he played? He had 1 catch right?

I think Smith gets the waiver and comes back.

Im not sure Brooks will. If he does Im not convinced he will be the same player
I'm not sure why you think Brooks won't come back. If he can stay healthy he has a legitimate shot at the next level. Especially now with AAF(?) and XFL, even if he doesn't make an NFL roster. Once his other knee is repaired they may never have another problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If Spann-Ford is supposed to start next year, why didn't we see more of him in the few games he played? He had 1 catch right?

He never played TE in HS and was never asked to be an in-line blocker so I would guess he just needed to work on his blocking technique and add strength. And since he already played in 4 games, he wasn't able to play in the bowl.

His receiving ability, especially in the end zone, looks to be superior than Paulsen, Kieft, Witham and Beebe. I honestly think there's no reason he can't be as good as any TE in the country. Was by far my favorite recruit of the 2018 class. I just hope Ciarrocca calls his name a few times each game. We hardly ever threw to the TE's this year but then again, we hardly ever threw to anyone besides Johnson, Bateman and Bell.

Last edited:

He never played TE in HS and was never asked to be an in-line blocker so I would guess he just needed to work on his blocking technique and add strength. And since he already played in 4 games, he wasn't able to play in the bowl.

His receiving ability, especially in the end zone, looks to be superior than Paulsen, Kieft, Witham and Beebe. I honestly think there's no reason he can't be as good as any TE in the country. Was by far my favorite recruit of the 2018 class. I just hope Ciarrocca calls his name a few times each game. We hardly ever threw to the TE's this year but then again, we hardly ever threw to anyone besides Johnson, Bateman and Bell.

The offense doesn’t feature the tight end. The tight end in this offense will have trouble cracking 20 catches on the year.

I'm curious about the RB's beyond the top 3. I wonder if Femi-Cole ends up playing more of a FB role.

The future of our offense is so bright. Returning 9 starters next year and then even in 2020 we will likely return 9. Exciting times ahead.

Otomewo and DeLattiboudere play the same position. If coughlin moves to LB the starting rush end is likely Mafe. Plus the dline needs at least 8-10 to rotate through so basically 1a/1b starters

Otomewo and DeLattiboudere play the same position. If coughlin moves to LB the starting rush end is likely Mafe. Plus the dline needs at least 8-10 to rotate through so basically 1a/1b starters

Are right and left DE’s not interchangeable in our defense? What I mean is, if the offense motions the strong side over from left to right, the DE’s don’t run over to the other side of the formation ... so seems like both need to be able to play both types of looks?

I saw BSF multiple times at open practices. He is, without a doubt, the most physically impressive TE on the team. I can’t tell you why he redshirted, but it wasn’t because he needed to add strength.

I saw BSF multiple times at open practices. He is, without a doubt, the most physically impressive TE on the team. I can’t tell you why he redshirted, but it wasn’t because he needed to add strength.

I agree with this take.

He has the strength already, which is why part of me starting wondering about a position switch.

A more plausible scenario, maybe it has something to do with the QBs. Adding in a pass-catching TE is another wrinkle for two FR QBs and PJ knew we weren't going to utilize him enough anyways, so we might as well RS and let him get even bigger. I'm not sure.

The offense doesn’t feature the tight end. The tight end in this offense will have trouble cracking 20 catches on the year.

I'm i'm hoping/expecting Ciarracca to adjust if/when Spann-Ford turns into the game changing TE I think he can be.

Really? How much was he cleaning and squatting on the sideline?

Really? How much was he cleaning and squatting on the sideline?

I think he's referring to his size and how he looked in the practice.

Traditionally, when we think of a guy who is a TE but was usually split out in HS, we think of a person who is a bit of a tweaner.

BSF is 6'7" and 260 lbs. It's the main reason why I had always thought (still kind of do think) he'll end up at defensive line. He could easily add some weight to get up to 280 / 285 and he is borderline the size of a DT.

When you see a guy at that size who is playing TE, you don't think he lacks the appropriate strength.

A stab at next years starters

from the strib?

http://www.startribune.com/glimpse-...e-a-projected-2019-starting-lineup/503592122/

Offense

QB:Tanner Morgan, sophomore

RB: Rodney Smith, senior

WR:Tyler Johnson, senior

WR:Rashod Bateman, sophomore

WR: Chris Autman-Bell, sophomore

TE:Brevyn Spann-Ford, freshman

LT: Jason Dickson, junior

LG:Blaise Andries, sophomore

C: Conner Olson, junior

RG: Curtis Dunlap Jr., freshman

RT: Daniel Faalele, sophomore