Next year's depth chart

Jaykay

Reaction score
Obviously very early, but does anyone have a guess as to what the depth chart might look like next year?

I'll help but I'm not doing the QB's.

Initially I thought we'd see Dickson at LT, but after yesterday's game, I'm penciling Andries there.

QB: Morgan / Annexstad / Clark
RB: Smith / Brooks / Ibrahim
WR: Johnson / Manns / Gibson / Van Dyne
WR: Bateman / Green / Adim-Medumere / Geary
WR: Autman-Bell / Douglas / Howard / Brown-Stephens
TE: Paulson / Spann-Ford / Witham / Bursch
LT: Andries / Dickson / Guedet
LG: Olson / Beier
C: Schmitz / Boe
RG: Dunlap Jr / Sassack
RT: Faalele / Schlueter / York

DE: DeLattiboudere / Otomewo / Reigelsperger
DT: Smith / Silver / Cheney / Carter
DT: Schad / Renner / Teague / Hickcox
DE: Coughlin / Mafe / Devers / Anderson
OLB: Martin / Oliver / Gordon
MLB: Barber / Sari-Marin
OLB: Willis / Rush / Guthrie
CB: Williamson / Thomas / Brown
SS: Sapp III / Howden / Swenson
FS: Winfield Jr / Nubin / Aune
CB: Smith / Durr / Harris

Initially I thought we'd see Dickson at LT, but after yesterday's game, I'm penciling Andries there.

WR: Autman-Bell / Douglas / Howard / Brown-Stephens
TE: Paulson / Spann-Ford / Witham / Bursch

DE: DeLattiboudere / Otomewo / Reigelsperger
DT: Schad / Renner / Teague / Hickcox
DE: Coughlin / Mafe / Devers / Anderson
OLB: Willis / Rush / Guthrie
SS: Sapp III / Howden / Swenson

Pretty solid, but I made some changes below and noted in parentheses

RB: Smith / Ibrahim / Brooks (with Brooks' health, I don't think he can be counted on to be #2 to start the season)
WR: Autman-Bell / Douglas / Howard / Brown-Stephens (wasn't Howard potentially moving to DB?)
TE: Spann-Ford / Paulson / Witham / Bursch (I think Spann-Ford has so much more upside and will start; also wasn't Bursch moving to the OL?)

DE: DeLattiboudere / Reigelsperger / D Harris
DT: Schad / Teague / Renner / Hickcox (We burned Teague's redshirt, so no chance he is #3 on the chart. He may even start the year depending on how well Schad acclimates)
DE: Otomewo / Mafe / Devers / Anderson (I think there is a chance Mafe pushes for the starting job, but both will see a lot of snaps)
OLB: Coughlin / Rush / Willis (I feel like we will move Carter back to his "pro" position and I don't see how a true frosh would jump Rush - he played a lot)
SS: Howden / Sapp III / Swenson (I would love to see Sapp starting, but do we have any indication that he would be better than Howden, especially after Howden got so much PT this year?)

Still intrigued by a possibility of moving Douglas to CB, if he is willing. He could still return kicks and punts.

I actually think Teague and Smith start next season at DT.

OL will be interesting. Andries' versatility really means the following people are in for a battle:
Schlueter (who played really well yesterday), Dickson, Sassak and Schmitz. The versatility of Andries and Olson really allow for us to let those 4 battle.

LB will be interesting. We start many games in nickle and it's not really important whether we call Coughlin a DE or an OLB. I think he is a rush end in the nickle package/passing downs and a LBer on normal downs.

It's absolutely astounding to me that posters can still list Ibrahim as 3rd on a projected depth chart (especially behind two injured players). Talk about failure to incorporate new information!

Teague’s redshirt was not “burned”. He could play 4 games next year and still have 5 to play 4...

It's absolutely astounding to me that posters can still list Ibrahim as 3rd on a projected depth chart (especially behind two injured players). Talk about failure to incorporate new information!

My depth chart assumes everyone is healthy.

In my opinion Rodney Smith is the clear #1 back. Nearly 3,000 yards rushing in his career behind a very suspect OL.

I think the Indiana game clearly showed the difference between a healthy Brooks and Ibrahim.

Ibrahim is a nice back and is solid all around. He keeps the chains moving. He just doesn't have the receiving ability of Smith or the home run ability of either.

There are so many battles this spring. No point in attempting this until after the spring game. Even then, some impact freshman could arrive in the summer/fall.

Sure, for fun though!

I highly doubt Martin is a starting linebacker here next season.

I have no idea what he did, but it sounds like it wasn't a horrible offense.

Assuming it was something less than super serious, I don't think PJ gives up on a guy who has, by all accounts, been a good citizen, hard-worker, and an important part of the team because of one bad decision.

If it's a series of bad decisions, I agree with you. If it's one, he'll be back and he'll be starting.

Probably got caught skipping class or something like that, which wouldn't even be against University rules, but against team rules and Fleck wanted to make an example out of it. Guaranteed he won't do it again!

In my opinion Rodney Smith is the clear #1 back. Nearly 3,000 yards rushing in his career behind a very suspect OL.

I think the Indiana game clearly showed the difference between a healthy Brooks and Ibrahim.

Ibrahim is a nice back and is solid all around. He keeps the chains moving. He just doesn't have the receiving ability of Smith or the home run ability of either.

Agreed. Ibrahim is a tough runner and a very solid back, but the offensive line was dominant in the bowl game. Cole Banham would have put up 150.

Yes, Rodney Smith is the #1 next year imo, but Ibrahim looks like #2 over brooks. Trying to figure out which order to put these guys in is a nice problem to have though. :D

Brooks had 157 yards in the one game he played. So what? Ibrahim had three games of that many or more and had a 5.7 average per carry for the season.

The fact that Smith had been a starter for so long doesn't mean he's better. It just means that no other back performed well enough to overcome the presumption of Smith as the starter. After Ibrahim's rookie year, Smith likely doesn't, and shouldn't, have that presumption anymore. We also don't know how good Ibrahim would be as a receiver because, with the three good receivers they had this season, there wasn't much of a need to use Ibrahim for that task.

Mayan Ahanotu will also be on the two deeps next season.

Keep an eye out for Umlor and Hickox as well.

Keep an eye out for Umlor and Hickox as well.

Yeah, the scout team player of the year usually turns out to be pretty good. Last year it was Mo and Otomewo if I remember correctly. I think we see heavy doses of Ahanotu next year.

I forgot Ahanotu when I posted. Quite frankly, our D-Line is as deep as I can remember. Should be able to rotate bodies and keep everyone fresh.

I also forgot the Juco corner Kelvin Clemmons. He likely cracks the 2 deep as well.

It is pretty impressive the depth that has been built at O-line, D-line, and wide receiver by this staff.

so what is the two-deep at safety to start 2019?

Jacob Huff leaves...he was very solid

Winfield returns...can he stay healthy? is he a true safety or more of a hybrid lb/cb/s?
Howden returns...got thrown in the mix as a true frosh when Winfield and then Shenault went down.

After that, all unknowns.

Can Chris Williamson play safety?...Williamson was a big piece of the Rossi turnaround as a run stopper/pass rusher/cover guy/physical presence in the secondary...kind of a hybrid role...he and Coughlin set wide and close to line of scrimmage on the edge outside of Mafe and Winston basically shut down the Tech option game

Sapp, Swenson, Aune, CJ Smith were listed as safeties on depth chart...I would guess Sapp is front runner to take Jacob Huff's spot...none of these guys got significant minutes beyond special teams...none really stood out on special teams (like young Cashman, young D Travis)

Kiondre, T Smith, Coney Durr were your cover guys...Durr would be guy most likely to move to safety?...Justus Harris has played some...Bishop McDonald sat year out after transferring from UM-Duluth

juco Clemmons has some size...listed as a corner...he had to be promised some likely immediate playing time to flip on UK
high school recruit Nubin has some size...listed as a corner
high school recruit Solomon Brown primarily a corner?

a grad transfer, juco, or late high school signing still possible?

move a current wr or rb to the secondary? lot of bodies at both spots...Phil Howard had been mentioned as possibly doing this...tough to break into WR mix of Tyler, Bateman, Autman Bell, Douglas...Fleck seems to like Manns potential at WR...Seth Green still listed as a WR...sounds like SpannFord is in plans as a pass catching option...sounds like Nnamdi, Brown-Stephens and maybe Potts could be in WR/pass catching back mix right away

I have no idea what he did, but it sounds like it wasn't a horrible offense.

Assuming it was something less than super serious, I don't think PJ gives up on a guy who has, by all accounts, been a good citizen, hard-worker, and an important part of the team because of one bad decision.

If it's a series of bad decisions, I agree with you. If it's one, he'll be back and he'll be starting.

He rooms with Winfield, Coughlin and Barber, and all of them seem to be pretty clean cut and disciplined. Can’t believe it was anything too major and feel he will be back in his role to start the spring and remain there all of next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom