Strib coverage of bowl victory

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
The signing day press conference generated some controversy and discussion concerning how the Strib reporter chose to frame and repeat her questions. It is hard to pose coverage of the fantastic bowl win in a non-positive way and as you might expect the main article is predictably good natured and positive.

But for you conspiracy theorists, note this secondary article covering the Martin suspension, individual player records set during the game, player injuries, etc. Note the order in which the information was shared and which items got the main headline and which items got sub headlines.

http://strib.mn/2BGqnnA

I'm beginning to think that the Strib does this to get a rise from posters on this board first and foremost.

I won't click on the link. I won't give the Strib satisfaction of my click or purchase because of the routine agenda chasing on Gopher sports and other topics. There are plenty of better options...many are free.

I'm still waiting for Rochelle's article on the 2019 class of recruits...

I won't click on the link. I won't give the Strib satisfaction of my click or purchase because of the routine agenda chasing on Gopher sports and other topics. There are plenty of better options...many are free.

Agreed. When someone posts here with strib info, I'll read what they copy/paste, but I'll never give their website a click.

I'm beginning to think that the Strib does this to get a rise from posters on this board first and foremost.

OK, I gotta speak. I haven't wanted to weigh in on this, but now that the season's over...

Nothing really surprises me anymore, but I have to admit to being taken aback by all the ill will (OK, hate) directed at P.J. and Gopher football - not necessarily by the media, who's geared toward stirring things up - but by a broad spectrum. On Christmas eve I was hanging with my wife's family, and out of nowhere my brother in law says something like, what do you think of Fleck. Before I could answer, he went ahead and told me what he thought of Fleck, and none of it was any good - and practically all of it was essentially not liking his personality. Se he finished his little rant and just stared me down, waiting for my reply...but I didn't say anything; I just nodded my head. I got the definite feeling that he was disappointed that I didn't argue or defend P.J. or the Gophers. And that's my take on the larger vocal Fleck-hating community - that they're not satisfied if they don't get some response or defense. They're definitely as vocal as they are in order to get the fans' goat and draw return fire, which they then ridicule as being overly sensitive. The best (worst), of course, is Reusse, who intentionally comes with nonsensical and illogical stuff, which can then be self-dismissed as satire or joking around. These are bored, pathetic people.

I guess if I would have answered my brother in law, it would have been something like, P.J. has his own style, just like you or I or anyone has their style. The school knew what he was like when they hired him, and this should come as no surprise to anyone.

OK, I gotta speak. I haven't wanted to weigh in on this, but now that the season's over...

Nothing really surprises me anymore, but I have to admit to being taken aback by all the ill will (OK, hate) directed at P.J. and Gopher football - not necessarily by the media, who's geared toward stirring things up - but by a broad spectrum. On Christmas eve I was hanging with my wife's family, and out of nowhere my brother in law says something like, what do you think of Fleck. Before I could answer, he went ahead and told me what he thought of Fleck, and none of it was any good - and practically all of it was essentially not liking his personality. Se he finished his little rant and just stared me down, waiting for my reply...but I didn't say anything; I just nodded my head. I got the definite feeling that he was disappointed that I didn't argue or defend P.J. or the Gophers. And that's my take on the larger vocal Fleck-hating community - that they're not satisfied if they don't get some response or defense. They're definitely as vocal as they are in order to get the fans' goat and draw return fire, which they then ridicule as being overly sensitive. The best (worst), of course, is Reusse, who intentionally comes with nonsensical and illogical stuff, which can then be self-dismissed as satire or joking around. These are bored, pathetic people.

I guess if I would have answered my brother in law, it would have been something like, P.J. has his own style, just like you or I or anyone has their style. The school knew what he was like when they hired him, and this should come as no surprise to anyone.

I've also met some people that are casual fans that seem to really like his style. He's a polarizing figure that isn't your typical Scandinavian/German Minnesota personality. He rubs some people the wrong way but others love him. Oh well. As long as he wins I don't really care what his personality is like. I'm a pretty reserved Scandinavian/German myself and I really like his positivity. Not a huge fan of the RTB plastered everywhere and the canned sayings, but if you get past all that stuff, his vision makes sense and works well with young people.

The signing day press conference generated some controversy and discussion concerning how the Strib reporter chose to frame and repeat her questions. It is hard to pose coverage of the fantastic bowl win in a non-positive way and as you might expect the main article is predictably good natured and positive.

But for you conspiracy theorists, note this secondary article covering the Martin suspension, individual player records set during the game, player injuries, etc. Note the order in which the information was shared and which items got the main headline and which items got sub headlines.

http://strib.mn/2BGqnnA

I think it is pretty common practice to group relevant articles together like this, especially in the sports section.

I've also met some people that are casual fans that seem to really like his style. He's a polarizing figure that isn't your typical Scandinavian/German Minnesota personality. He rubs some people the wrong way but others love him. Oh well. As long as he wins I don't really care what his personality is like. I'm a pretty reserved Scandinavian/German myself and I really like his positivity. Not a huge fan of the RTB plastered everywhere and the canned sayings, but if you get past all that stuff, his vision makes sense and works well with young people.

Well I love PJ Fleck and would argue with anyone about it. I love his energy. I love his positivity. I love that he sells Minnesota. I love that he stands up and sings the Rouser when we bring back the Axe at a rally. I love that his goals and expectations aren't a 9 win season, because my goals are higher than that. Gopher football isn't going to be the sport it can be and have community excitement with 9 win seasons. Of the Gopher fans I talk to most love the excitement and energy he brings, but I have a few friends who don't like him or the fact that he is so "rah-rah" that he would stand up and sing the Rouser.

I don't know how long PJ Fleck will stay here. I hope he is here a long time and if decides to stay, I think he has a chance to become an icon like Bud Grant in Minnesota. He has a chance to build something he tells his recruits they can build if they come here to play for him. If they don't change the rules on how to make it to the B1G Championship game, I think we will play in it within the next 3-5 years. A lot of people don't like Fleck because they liked Claeys and were disappointed he was fired. Claeys was 9-4 playing a super soft schedule. Our signature wins that season were a win against Northwestern who were 7-6 and the win against Washington State who were 8-5. I know one thing, there is no way PJ Fleck would stand and watch his team at the half yard line let the clock run from :19 seconds to :06 seconds without snapping the ball. After a few of the offensive shifts PJ would have been sprinting down there and called timeout with :15 seconds left. Claeys lost me that game, and no number of 9 win seasons against the easiest schedule we will ever play and zero rivalry wins was going to get me back, because that was his ceiling.

For those who don't like RTB, read the book, "The Boys in the Boat." It might change your mind.

Last edited:

Well I love PJ Fleck and would argue with anyone about it. I love his energy. I love his positivity. I love that he sells Minnesota. I love that he stands up and sings the Rouser when we bring back the Axe at a rally. I love that his goals and expectations aren't a 9 win season, because my goals are higher than that. Gopher football isn't going to be the sport it can be and have community excitement with 9 win seasons. Of the Gopher fans I talk to most love the excitement and energy he brings, but I have a few friends who don't like him or the fact that he is so "rah-rah" that he would stand up and sing the Rouser.

I don't know how long PJ Fleck will stay here. I hope he is here a long time and if decides to stay, I think he has a chance to become an icon like Bud Grant in Minnesota. He has a chance to build something he tells his recruits they can build if they come here to play for him. If they don't change the rules on how to make it to the B1G Championship game, I think we will play in it within the next 3-5 years. A lot of people don't like Fleck because they liked Claeys and were disappointed he was fired. Claeys was 9-4 playing a super soft schedule. Our signature wins that season were a win against Northwestern who were 7-6 and the win against Washington State who were 8-5. I know one thing, there is no way PJ Fleck would stand and watch his team at the half yard line let the clock run from :19 seconds to :06 seconds without snapping the ball. After a few of the offensive shifts PJ would have been sprinting down there and called timeout with :15 seconds left. Claeys lost me that game, and no number of 9 win seasons against the easiest schedule we will ever play and zero rivalry wins was going to get me back, because that was his ceiling.

For those who don't like RTB, read the book, "The Boys in the Boat." It might change your mind.

Not sure PJ could have got the TO called. I was sitting at the 5 yd line (visitors side) and Harbaugh did come sprinting down the sideline, but the officials did not call it.

That "laundry list" of game notes was going to be there, regardless. But the bungling of reporting Martin's suspension to the media directly resulted in it getting the top billing in this particular article.

If the U had come out with a "Martin violated team rules and will not be traveling to Detroit" press release a while ago, then the fiasco at the signing day press conference wouldn't have happened, and his not playing would've been a minor footnote in this article or not mentioned at all, instead of being the headline.

Fleck proved nothing, gained nothing, and instead did a minor, but noticeable, amount of disservice to the Gophers in how he handled it. Again, I don't know if it was his decision alone to handle it that way, or if it came from the top down, but he certainly looked like he was enjoying himself at the press conference. I think he should have apologized for how this was handled, when he disclosed the Martin was the suspended Gopher player. Oh well, time to move on.

That "laundry list" of game notes was going to be there, regardless. But the bungling of reporting Martin's suspension to the media directly resulted in it getting the top billing in this particular article.

If the U had come out with a "Martin violated team rules and will not be traveling to Detroit" press release a while ago, then the fiasco at the signing day press conference wouldn't have happened, and his not playing would've been a minor footnote in this article or not mentioned at all, instead of being the headline.

Fleck proved nothing, gained nothing, and instead did a minor, but noticeable, amount of disservice to the Gophers in how he handled it. Again, I don't know if it was his decision alone to handle it that way, or if it came from the top down, but he certainly looked like he was enjoying himself at the press conference. I think he should have apologized for how this was handled, when he disclosed the Martin was the suspended Gopher player. Oh well, time to move on.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Have you completed your investigation of this yet? Was there a press release? Was Paul Johnson less that forthcoming? Was this posted in the Atlanta newspaper? Are we, as fans, owed an apology for this cover up?

Please let me know the results of your in depth findings. It must be important to get to the end result as you have probably 20+ posts on the topic.

Not a criticism at you, but in my circle of friends, if a statement was made like that of your brother in law, there would have been a heated debate with facts and figures, but mostly made up stuff to support our beliefs. Jump right in next time, it's what makes for a memorable holiday. Tell you your brother in law to go stick where the sun don't shine and you are going to support the Gophs regardless of who their coach is or what his style is. PJ is the awkward salesman that makes the owner a **** load of money, regardless of his style. And remember, always leave every argument with...The SEC is over rated!

Not sure PJ could have got the TO called. I was sitting at the 5 yd line (visitors side) and Harbaugh did come sprinting down the sideline, but the officials did not call it.

We also would have been out of TO’s by then. [emoji12]
I still don’t understand how Harbaugh wasn’t granted the TO. As he got right next to the ref.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you feel like you're making some kind of relevant point, that proves something.

I assure you, you are not.

You said it would be a main storyline of the broadcast - barely mentioned in passing.
You said it might make the national news, after the fact - hasn’t happened.

PJ handled this one to perfection.

I think it is pretty common practice to group relevant articles together like this, especially in the sports section.

The lead sets the tone of the article. This is the issue not that the Martin suspension was reported. It's like the Strib doesn't want the reader feel anything positive about what the football program accomplished the last two months of the season.

Yeah, I get that. That wasn’t my point at all. I found the order in which the articles appeared, and the size of the typeface on the subheadings to be curious choices. That was the point.

I believe that PJ Fleck knows what he is doing. He has a lot more experience at this than anyone on this forum and I trust his decisions.

As far as negativism in the press, I have perceived for a long time that there is significant negativism in both the Minneapolis press and on this board. Reusse is in his own category of
drittsekk. (from google translate)

My relatives of Norwegian descent have mentioned that negativism is a common characteristic of those of Norwegian immigrants and their descendants. Don't mean to offend anyone.

I know you feel like you're making some kind of relevant point, that proves something.

I assure you, you are not.

You've spent numerous days and posts saying fans had a right to know who was involved and the exact nature of the incident. You were demanding facts. Do I need to quote your posts?

Ga Tech had something similar happen and didn't say a word about it until right before kickoff. Why aren't you outraged? According to you teams should release stuff like this just like the NFL does.

Point is you've been hellbent on this topic now and it's very apparent that it happens at other institutions and you just don't know about it. All of your posts were without merit...that is my relevant point.

For the most part, anyone saying they can’t/won’t support the Gophers football team because they don’t like the coach was looking for just about any reason to not support the team; feelings toward the coach just happens to be an easy out at this time. If it wasn’t Fleck, it would be Coyle, or something else

I believe that PJ Fleck knows what he is doing. He has a lot more experience at this than anyone on this forum and I trust his decisions.

As far as negativism in the press, I have perceived for a long time that there is significant negativism in both the Minneapolis press and on this board. Reusse is in his own category of
drittsekk. (from google translate)

My relatives of Norwegian descent have mentioned that negativism is a common characteristic of those of Norwegian immigrants and their descendants. Don't mean to offend anyone.

Man, this is the most positive board on the planet for a program that has been as bad as long as we've been.

Following the Illinois loss, I think the poll on this board about firing Fleck was something like 200 "no's" to 1 "yes".

That wouldn't be the case for most schools who got destroyed by Illinois.

We aren't that negative here. We are pretty sensitive, but GopherHole is extremely positive in comparison to other sports message boards.

You said it would be a main storyline of the broadcast - barely mentioned in passing.
You said it might make the national news, after the fact - hasn’t happened.

PJ handled this one to perfection.

100% correct. Here's the ESPN recap of the game. One small blurb that was mixed in with the Ga Tech player and that fact Cashman is preparing for the draft. Not exactly making national headlines or taking away from the dominating victory.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401032068

DETROIT -- Mohamed Ibrahim took full advantage of holes his teammates created to burst through the line or get to the outside.

And when defenders were in Ibrahim's way, he simply lowered his shoulder to run over them.

Ibrahim ran for career-high 224 yards and two touchdowns, leading Minnesota to a 34-10 victory over Georgia Tech on Wednesday night in the Quick Lane Bowl.

The Golden Gophers (7-6) won three of their last four games, and Ibrahim had a lot to do with that. The 5-foot-10, 205-pound redshirt freshman running back had 121 yards rushing in a win at Wisconsin that made Minnesota bowl eligible and ran for 155 yards last month in a victory over Purdue.

"He's not the biggest, strongest or fastest," coach P.J. Fleck said. "He has that too short, too small, too this, king of the toos, which is right up my alley. This kid's got more heart, passion, courage and plays the game the right way more than anybody I've ever met."

The Yellow Jackets (7-6) did not have the speed or strength to slow down Ibrahim, who was so effective Minnesota didn't have to punt once. And, their triple-option offense was stunted in coach Paul Johnson's finale .

"They did pretty much whatever they wanted," said Johnson, who is retiring as Georgia Tech's coach. We never stopped the run and then we let them throw it over our head a couple times.

"I wasn't expecting that, but that's life and you move on."

The Gophers limited Georgia Tech to 206 yards on the ground after it led the nation with 335 yards rushing per game.

Minnesota led 13-0 early in the second quarter after Tanner Morgan threw an 18-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Johnson in the first quarter and Emmit Carpenter made two field goals. Ibrahim's 3-yard touchdown run midway through the third quarter made it 20-3.

The Yellow Jackets responded with Nathan Cottrell's 20-yard touchdown run, but their defense allowed Ibrahim to score again on the ensuing drive. Morgan connected with Johnson on a 30-yard touchdown strike with 6:19 left, giving the Gophers a 24-point cushion.

THE TAKEAWAY

Minnesota: Ibrahim has the potential to be one of the top players on offense in the Big Ten next season. He runs with a mix of speed and power.

"He's a physical back," Johnson said. "He broke tackles and he ran through us some."

Ibrahim had the best day on the ground for a Gopher since 2005 when Laurence Maroney had 258 yards rushing against the Badgers.

"That's big," Ibrahim said. "He's a superstar and he had a great career."

Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets were in trouble when they fell behind because they don't pass much, making it tough to come back. They averaged fewer than 10 passes during the regular season and it was clear both of their quarterbacks were not comfortable dropping back to throw.

"It's tough to go out this way," Marshall said. "We didn't come ready to play and it showed."

RECORD WATCH

Johnson set single-season school record with 1,169 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns. He finished the season with 78 catches, six short of another Minnesota record.

"The hard work and dedication paid off," he said.

MISSING MEN

Georgia Tech linebacker Charlie Thomas and Minnesota linebacker Kamal Martin were suspended for undisclosed violations of team rules.

"If you don't do the right things, you're not going to travel," Fleck said.

The Gophers also were without senior linebacker Blake Cashman, who announced his intention to skip the bowl game to focus on preparing for the NFL draft.

UP NEXT

Minnesota: The Gophers had a nation-high 52 percent of their roster filled by freshmen, giving them a lot of hope for next season when they open at home Aug. 29 against South Dakota State.

"We have a bright future -- for sure," Ibrahim said. "We're coming together as a team."

Georgia Tech: It will be challenging for Geoff Collins to win in his coaching debut with the Yellow Jackets. They play Aug. 22 at Clemson in the first game on the ACC Network. The former Temple coach, who is from Georgia, will be installing a new offense without a handful of starters on offense and the defense is losing eight starters.

Man, this is the most positive board on the planet for a program that has been as bad as long as we've been.

Following the Illinois loss, I think the poll on this board about firing Fleck was something like 200 "no's" to 1 "yes".

That wouldn't be the case for most schools who got destroyed by Illinois.

We aren't that negative here. We are pretty sensitive, but GopherHole is extremely positive in comparison to other sports message boards.

Amen. You need to look no further than the GT board right now for proof of this.

You've spent numerous days and posts saying fans had a right to know who was involved and the exact nature of the incident. You were demanding facts. Do I need to quote your posts?

Ga Tech had something similar happen and didn't say a word about it until right before kickoff. Why aren't you outraged? According to you teams should release stuff like this just like the NFL does.

Point is you've been hellbent on this topic now and it's very apparent that it happens at other institutions and you just don't know about it. All of your posts were without merit...that is my relevant point.

He already assured you that you weren't making a point.

The lead sets the tone of the article. This is the issue not that the Martin suspension was reported. It's like the Strib doesn't want the reader feel anything positive about what the football program accomplished the last two months of the season.

Well, the OP was writing about the secondary article placement (suspension), which was the focus of my response.

Not a criticism at you, but in my circle of friends, if a statement was made like that of your brother in law, there would have been a heated debate with facts and figures, but mostly made up stuff to support our beliefs. Jump right in next time, it's what makes for a memorable holiday. Tell you your brother in law to go stick where the sun don't shine and you are going to support the Gophs regardless of who their coach is or what his style is. PJ is the awkward salesman that makes the owner a **** load of money, regardless of his style. And remember, always leave every argument with...The SEC is over rated!

Yes, you're clearly the voice of reason. ;) The wine does that to me - makes me mellow.

Truly, the best advice someone can give is to not try and be someone you're not. It's tempting to try and alter your personality in order to meet people's tastes and expectations, but all you end up being is some lame facsimile of someone else and fail to play to your strength. Why people want Fleck to adopt Glen Mason's or Jerry Kill's personality is beyond me. He was hired because of the success he had being himself and doing things his way. This sounds so elementary that it shouldn't have to be said, but it's amazing how much pressure gets put on people in their homes and workplaces to be someone they're not.

Top Bottom