Strib coverage of bowl victory

Andennn....
73f8c0907f8184fe09139ff1a1c66782.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll play on this, and I won't insult you either as you had mentioned. We can just agree to disagree if need be.

I think Fleck did what he did because he has gotten pretty beat up by the media over the last 2 years and frankly I can see where some of that is deserved. I do think that they made it personal at times and I think that rubbed him the wrong way and other than Sid, I don't think he cares for the writers at the Strib. I also think he's smart, and knows that he could be baited into making a statement that could be concluded as supportive in the wrong way, or perhaps viewed negatively, and rather than doing that he played coy. Now, that rubbed the reporters the wrong way but why did it rub them the wrong way? I think there is a certain amount of personal baggage regarding the two (Fleck and the media). Something happened and Coach is doing what he needs to do but he's not going to throw them a bone due to the perceived rub.

So while you view it as a disservice to the Gophers I think he was kind of doing the opposite, "like hey, you are going to constantly be looking to throw my players under the bus well then I'm not going to help you" as a way to insulate the program and protect the U. I guess it can go both ways but I think that's why he did it like he did it. I don't think he's obligated to point out why they were suspended, just that they were suspended for a team rules violation, vague but common in college football ranks.

I appreciate the tone of your post, and the words you used. Thanks for the post and the thoughts.

It's clear that several of you hate some of the things I say, and some of my takes. Perfectly fine.

But rather than activating the ignore feature on me, as you should, instead you choose to hurl insults, belittle, make fun .... just about everything other than use logic and critical reason to present counter-arguments. Some have, and good for them of course. But most haven't. Rather ... while they claim aggravation, annoyance, anger, etc. ... they keep coming back for more. Gluttons for punishment, I guess. What does that say about them, about us all? We just enjoy arguing with people, telling people they are wrong, being hateful towards people. It's just who we are.

If what I say truly has that effect on you, I encourage you to activate the ignore feature. But I'm certain a lot of you won't.

Oh, Rochelle, Rochelle...

The signing day press conference generated some controversy and discussion concerning how the Strib reporter chose to frame and repeat her questions. It is hard to pose coverage of the fantastic bowl win in a non-positive way and as you might expect the main article is predictably good natured and positive.

But for you conspiracy theorists, note this secondary article covering the Martin suspension, individual player records set during the game, player injuries, etc. Note the order in which the information was shared and which items got the main headline and which items got sub headlines.

http://strib.mn/2BGqnnA

thF613U5NV.jpg

Ok, I'll play on this, and I won't insult you either as you had mentioned. We can just agree to disagree if need be.

I think Fleck did what he did because he has gotten pretty beat up by the media over the last 2 years and frankly I can see where some of that is deserved. I do think that they made it personal at times and I think that rubbed him the wrong way and other than Sid, I don't think he cares for the writers at the Strib. I also think he's smart, and knows that he could be baited into making a statement that could be concluded as supportive in the wrong way, or perhaps viewed negatively, and rather than doing that he played coy. Now, that rubbed the reporters the wrong way but why did it rub them the wrong way? I think there is a certain amount of personal baggage regarding the two (Fleck and the media). Something happened and Coach is doing what he needs to do but he's not going to throw them a bone due to the perceived rub.

So while you view it as a disservice to the Gophers I think he was kind of doing the opposite, "like hey, you are going to constantly be looking to throw my players under the bus well then I'm not going to help you" as a way to insulate the program and protect the U. I guess it can go both ways but I think that's why he did it like he did it. I don't think he's obligated to point out why they were suspended, just that they were suspended for a team rules violation, vague but common in college football ranks.

I think this is a good take and very possibly exactly how Fleck and the U feel. And again, Fleck and the U handled this perfectly and I hope this is a sign of how they will handle the media going forward. Until they start reporting honestly about the positive as well as the negative, don’t help them. He and the U owe them nothing. Unfortunately, the media today is worse the politicians and will never change. They are the scum of the earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Fleck was hired, he said very pointedly, "I am not for everyone."

Which means, some people will like him, and some will not.

And yet, some fans get furious when anyone says anything that can be construed as negative toward Fleck.

Guys (and gals) Fleck himself said "I'm not for everyone."

So why is (or should) anyone be surprised that some people don't like Fleck. Fleck told you to expect this. He was right.

Is there any public figure on the planet who is 100% liked and respected? I doubt it. There are people who don't like the Pope. compared to that, someone not liking a football coach is pretty small potatoes.

That "laundry list" of game notes was going to be there, regardless. But the bungling of reporting Martin's suspension to the media directly resulted in it getting the top billing in this particular article.

If the U had come out with a "Martin violated team rules and will not be traveling to Detroit" press release a while ago, then the fiasco at the signing day press conference wouldn't have happened, and his not playing would've been a minor footnote in this article or not mentioned at all, instead of being the headline.

Fleck proved nothing, gained nothing, and instead did a minor, but noticeable, amount of disservice to the Gophers in how he handled it. Again, I don't know if it was his decision alone to handle it that way, or if it came from the top down, but he certainly looked like he was enjoying himself at the press conference. I think he should have apologized for how this was handled, when he disclosed the Martin was the suspended Gopher player. Oh well, time to move on.

Please move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the same reason maybe that we may have lost Bryce Benhart to Nebraska. I don't think he likes PJ's gimmicks.

It goes both ways. There are going to be recruits that don’t like his personality and way of doing things. But there will be recruits that love I think too. Bateman is one that comes to mind. He seems to love Fleck, RTB, etc.

I think I can safely say that moving to the adult table in life is the beginning of the end of every thing that is really good in this world. I think deep down we all long for the kids table, where napkins are optional and farting is encouraged.

Top Bottom