Strib coverage of bowl victory

I believe that PJ Fleck knows what he is doing. He has a lot more experience at this than anyone on this forum and I trust his decisions.

As far as negativism in the press, I have perceived for a long time that there is significant negativism in both the Minneapolis press and on this board. Reusse is in his own category of
drittsekk. (from google translate)

My relatives of Norwegian descent have mentioned that negativism is a common characteristic of those of Norwegian immigrants and their descendants. Don't mean to offend anyone.

Have you seen the "How to talk Minnesotan" clips on YouTube? Hilariously accurate. We have absolutely mastered the power of the negative...

How's it going today? "Not too bad." Translation..."Pretty good."

You've spent numerous days and posts saying fans had a right to know who was involved and the exact nature of the incident.

Stopped reading your post, right here.

Disgusts me to see that you can't even get the simple parts of my argument correct. The parts I go to astounding lengths, repeating again and again and again, to make sure are crystal clear. Have honestly typed out about a hundred times that I did not want to know which rules were violated, and that wasn't my business.

You screwing that up, either on purpose or by lack of reading comprehension, means that you are dismissed. You can go back to sitting at the kids table with the crayons.

The signing day press conference generated some controversy and discussion concerning how the Strib reporter chose to frame and repeat her questions. It is hard to pose coverage of the fantastic bowl win in a non-positive way and as you might expect the main article is predictably good natured and positive.

But for you conspiracy theorists, note this secondary article covering the Martin suspension, individual player records set during the game, player injuries, etc. Note the order in which the information was shared and which items got the main headline and which items got sub headlines.

http://strib.mn/2BGqnnA

CAUTION: DO NOT CLICK! Contains malware that wants you to click on their "back" button.

OK, I gotta speak. I haven't wanted to weigh in on this, but now that the season's over...

Nothing really surprises me anymore, but I have to admit to being taken aback by all the ill will (OK, hate) directed at P.J. and Gopher football - not necessarily by the media, who's geared toward stirring things up - but by a broad spectrum. On Christmas eve I was hanging with my wife's family, and out of nowhere my brother in law says something like, what do you think of Fleck. Before I could answer, he went ahead and told me what he thought of Fleck, and none of it was any good - and practically all of it was essentially not liking his personality. Se he finished his little rant and just stared me down, waiting for my reply...but I didn't say anything; I just nodded my head. I got the definite feeling that he was disappointed that I didn't argue or defend P.J. or the Gophers. And that's my take on the larger vocal Fleck-hating community - that they're not satisfied if they don't get some response or defense. They're definitely as vocal as they are in order to get the fans' goat and draw return fire, which they then ridicule as being overly sensitive. The best (worst), of course, is Reusse, who intentionally comes with nonsensical and illogical stuff, which can then be self-dismissed as satire or joking around. These are bored, pathetic people.

I guess if I would have answered my brother in law, it would have been something like, P.J. has his own style, just like you or I or anyone has their style. The school knew what he was like when they hired him, and this should come as no surprise to anyone.

For the same reason maybe that we may have lost Bryce Benhart to Nebraska. I don't think he likes PJ's gimmicks.

I’m not alone anymore at the kid’s table!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAUTION: DO NOT CLICK! Contains malware that wants you to click on their "back" button.

No it doesn't.

You either got one of those damn ads that takes over the screen, because you're looking on a phone .... or you just fake saying that hoping people won't click on if you say that.

That "laundry list" of game notes was going to be there, regardless. But the bungling of reporting Martin's suspension to the media directly resulted in it getting the top billing in this particular article.

If the U had come out with a "Martin violated team rules and will not be traveling to Detroit" press release a while ago, then the fiasco at the signing day press conference wouldn't have happened, and his not playing would've been a minor footnote in this article or not mentioned at all, instead of being the headline.

Fleck proved nothing, gained nothing, and instead did a minor, but noticeable, amount of disservice to the Gophers in how he handled it. Again, I don't know if it was his decision alone to handle it that way, or if it came from the top down, but he certainly looked like he was enjoying himself at the press conference. I think he should have apologized for how this was handled, when he disclosed the Martin was the suspended Gopher player. Oh well, time to move on.

It was time to move on a long time ago pal. Minor issue but some people want to make a major issue out of everything. Nothing like people who only want to make everything negative. Please find another team to "cheer" for.

We also would have been out of TO’s by then. [emoji12]
I still don’t understand how Harbaugh wasn’t granted the TO. As he got right next to the ref.

No we had one time out left at the time.

And yes, he would have gotten the time out called. I coached 8th grade football at our school for about 10 years. I know how difficult it is to coach football and realize I wasn't the greatest coach. But I can't imagine any coach at any level not having the clock awareness to allow that to happen.

Well I love PJ Fleck and would argue with anyone about it. I love his energy. I love his positivity. I love that he sells Minnesota. I love that he stands up and sings the Rouser when we bring back the Axe at a rally. I love that his goals and expectations aren't a 9 win season, because my goals are higher than that. Gopher football isn't going to be the sport it can be and have community excitement with 9 win seasons. Of the Gopher fans I talk to most love the excitement and energy he brings, but I have a few friends who don't like him or the fact that he is so "rah-rah" that he would stand up and sing the Rouser.

I don't know how long PJ Fleck will stay here. I hope he is here a long time and if decides to stay, I think he has a chance to become an icon like Bud Grant in Minnesota. He has a chance to build something he tells his recruits they can build if they come here to play for him. If they don't change the rules on how to make it to the B1G Championship game, I think we will play in it within the next 3-5 years. A lot of people don't like Fleck because they liked Claeys and were disappointed he was fired. Claeys was 9-4 playing a super soft schedule. Our signature wins that season were a win against Northwestern who were 7-6 and the win against Washington State who were 8-5. I know one thing, there is no way PJ Fleck would stand and watch his team at the half yard line let the clock run from :19 seconds to :06 seconds without snapping the ball. After a few of the offensive shifts PJ would have been sprinting down there and called timeout with :15 seconds left. Claeys lost me that game, and no number of 9 win seasons against the easiest schedule we will ever play and zero rivalry wins was going to get me back, because that was his ceiling.

For those who don't like RTB, read the book, "The Boys in the Boat." It might change your mind.

THANK YOU. I couldn't agree with you more!

Disgusts me to see that you can't even get the simple parts of my argument correct. The parts I go to astounding lengths, repeating again and again and again, to make sure are crystal clear. Have honestly typed out about a hundred times that I did not want to know which rules were violated, and that wasn't my business.

You screwing that up, either on purpose or by lack of reading comprehension, means that you are dismissed. You can go back to sitting at the kids table with the crayons.

So you didn't write this...

It absolutely IS my business, to know which players didn't travel to Detroit and won't play in the bowl game.

Or this...

For exactly the same reason that the NFL forced each team to report inactives before the games on Sunday.

Or this...

There's going to be negative coverage AFTER the game, possibly picked up nationally (we'll see), because of the way this has been handled.

The M.O. of this situation has, and continues to be roughly this "ignore and deflect today, because who the heck gives a rat's behind about tomorrow".

Or this...

Question: would you have rather had it attract national attention/ESPN **before** the game, with the game itself being the last national and local coverage?? OR are you going to be pleased now, to have "gotten your way", and the national and local coverage will dwell on the suspensions, rather than the game, because of Fleck's bungling of the situation?

Your takes are completely ridiculous. I honestly don't think you're a troll rather your thoughts are completely out of left field and out of touch with reality. That's the view from the kids table.

No we had one time out left at the time.

And yes, he would have gotten the time out called. I coached 8th grade football at our school for about 10 years. I know how difficult it is to coach football and realize I wasn't the greatest coach. But I can't imagine any coach at any level not having the clock awareness to allow that to happen.

I think you missed GFB’s timeout joke.

As for the debacle at the end of the MI game, you are unlikely to find anyone who would disagree with you that horrific time management falls on Claeys. You aren’t exactly taking a controversial stance with that one.

Amen. You need to look no further than the GT board right now for proof of this.
Their retiring coach also offended by the "negative" press in Atlanta. Maybe it's just part of being in a major metro area.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

So how many people has G4L exiled? This board seems more like the Power Trip every day

That "laundry list" of game notes was going to be there, regardless. But the bungling of reporting Martin's suspension to the media directly resulted in it getting the top billing in this particular article.

If the U had come out with a "Martin violated team rules and will not be traveling to Detroit" press release a while ago, then the fiasco at the signing day press conference wouldn't have happened, and his not playing would've been a minor footnote in this article or not mentioned at all, instead of being the headline.

Fleck proved nothing, gained nothing, and instead did a minor, but noticeable, amount of disservice to the Gophers in how he handled it. Again, I don't know if it was his decision alone to handle it that way, or if it came from the top down, but he certainly looked like he was enjoying himself at the press conference. I think he should have apologized for how this was handled, when he disclosed the Martin was the suspended Gopher player. Oh well, time to move on.

Fleck and the U didn’t do me a disservice. He has NOTHING to apologize for. I’m actually very pleased with how PJ and the U handled the situation.

You said it would be a main storyline of the broadcast - barely mentioned in passing.
You said it might make the national news, after the fact - hasn’t happened.

PJ handled this one to perfection.

^^^ This!

It was an afterthought mention during the broadcast because it was a non-story to begin with that the local media did their best to blow up. PJ and the U gave them nowhere to go with the story because there was nothing to it to begin with. Handled to perfection by all at the U.

Also, you wrote this...

Insult those who say things you don't agree with. That is the way of internet discussion, boys and girls.

Telling people to go sit at the kids table with the crayons is an insult. Besides having terrible takes, you're also a hypocrite. You are dismissed...

So you didn't write this...

It absolutely IS my business, to know which players didn't travel to Detroit and won't play in the bowl game.

Or this...

For exactly the same reason that the NFL forced each team to report inactives before the games on Sunday.

Or this...

There's going to be negative coverage AFTER the game, possibly picked up nationally (we'll see), because of the way this has been handled.

The M.O. of this situation has, and continues to be roughly this "ignore and deflect today, because who the heck gives a rat's behind about tomorrow".

Oh my goodness ..... you actually aren't capable enough, mentally, to understand that having to disclose inactive players, and disclosing which team rule a player violated, and two entirely, completely separate things that have nothing to do with each other.

Yikes!

It's clear that several of you hate some of the things I say, and some of my takes. Perfectly fine.

But rather than activating the ignore feature on me, as you should, instead you choose to hurl insults, belittle, make fun .... just about everything other than use logic and critical reason to present counter-arguments. Some have, and good for them of course. But most haven't. Rather ... while they claim aggravation, annoyance, anger, etc. ... they keep coming back for more. Gluttons for punishment, I guess. What does that say about them, about us all? We just enjoy arguing with people, telling people they are wrong, being hateful towards people. It's just who we are.

If what I say truly has that effect on you, I encourage you to activate the ignore feature. But I'm certain a lot of you won't.

If I didn’t have him Ignore Listed, I’d probably find him strangely humorous. I see now he’s posted three in a row and most of the last few on this thread.

I’d rather term him very mentally unstable, or to use the correct medical term, “nuts”. I ask the Mods to do us a favor and dismiss this mutt.

Bye bye birdie.

It sure sounds like a certain individual on this thread is feeling like a victim of a major atrocity perpetuated by Coach Fleck and the U of MN. I swear they must have taken Tech -5 to be this cranked up still.

Your takes are completely ridiculous. I honestly don't think you're a troll rather your thoughts are completely out of left field and out of touch with reality. That's the view from the kids table.

This is accurate. I don't think he's a troll either, but posts some of the most bizarre, head scratching stuff pretty consistently.

Last edited:

Ok, I'll play on this, and I won't insult you either as you had mentioned. We can just agree to disagree if need be.

I think Fleck did what he did because he has gotten pretty beat up by the media over the last 2 years and frankly I can see where some of that is deserved. I do think that they made it personal at times and I think that rubbed him the wrong way and other than Sid, I don't think he cares for the writers at the Strib. I also think he's smart, and knows that he could be baited into making a statement that could be concluded as supportive in the wrong way, or perhaps viewed negatively, and rather than doing that he played coy. Now, that rubbed the reporters the wrong way but why did it rub them the wrong way? I think there is a certain amount of personal baggage regarding the two (Fleck and the media). Something happened and Coach is doing what he needs to do but he's not going to throw them a bone due to the perceived rub.

So while you view it as a disservice to the Gophers I think he was kind of doing the opposite, "like hey, you are going to constantly be looking to throw my players under the bus well then I'm not going to help you" as a way to insulate the program and protect the U. I guess it can go both ways but I think that's why he did it like he did it. I don't think he's obligated to point out why they were suspended, just that they were suspended for a team rules violation, vague but common in college football ranks.

Now I see how he/she got to over two thousand posts in one season.
I want to be at the kids table.

Now I see how he/she got to over two thousand posts in one season.
I want to be at the kids table.

It's getting pretty crowded so maybe we can ask to have the couch moved to set up another card table...

It's getting pretty crowded so maybe we can ask to have the couch moved to set up another card table...

[emoji482] it will be more fun anyway, but hopefully we can all move back to the big table once he gets to the bottom of this.

Dude, you're a misunderstood genius. Or.....

23cbc16f895e7bbaf5e2d42c804ab3c4.jpg

Top Bottom