Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 194
  1. #121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    Well yah cuz they don't make any money. Maybe if the Rs would invest in education rather than trying to dumb it down we wouldn't have the problems we have now.
    A very good friend of mine that I coached HS football with retired at 55 and a retirement of 75% of his $135K salary annually. He was a PE teacher.


  2. #122
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,433
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    A very good friend of mine that I coached HS football with retired at 55 and a retirement of 75% of his $135K salary annually. He was a PE teacher.
    I'm guessing he taught in Illinois or another blue state.

  3. #123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    A very good friend of mine that I coached HS football with retired at 55 and a retirement of 75% of his $135K salary annually. He was a PE teacher.
    He worked at a public school?
    Who hates iowa?

  4. #124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    He worked at a public school?
    Yep. 30+ years in the same school district.

  5. #125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I'm guessing he taught in Illinois or another blue state.
    Yeah.

  6. #126

    Default

    I’m kinda annoyed by the misconception that teachers don’t make $hit. They do alright, not living it up, but do alright.

  7. #127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    Yep. 30+ years in the same school district.
    "The average High School Teacher salary in Illinois is $62,201 as of May 31, 2019, but the range typically falls between $49,301 and $73,101. "

    https://www.salary.com/research/sala...cher-salary/il
    Who hates iowa?

  8. #128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry View Post
    Iím kinda annoyed by the misconception that teachers donít make $hit. They do alright, not living it up, but do alright.
    I donít know how it is in other states, but in Illinois teachers pay in to a state-run retirement plan and not SS, I believe with law enforcement and firefighters. The school district pays the teacher salaries, but teachers get their retirement plan based on years of service in the district up to a max of 75% of the last 3 years of their salaries annualized and that is paid for by the state-run retirement fund. The school district has no skin in the game for the retirement fund, just active teacher salaries.

    Thatís one reason why Illinois has so high of unfunded liabilities. Geniuses.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,433
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry View Post
    I’m kinda annoyed by the misconception that teachers don’t make $hit. They do alright, not living it up, but do alright.
    Depends on the state. In SD, at least until a couple years ago, a starting teacher made $20-25K. You could make more working at Wal-Mart.

  10. #130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    "The average High School Teacher salary in Illinois is $62,201 as of May 31, 2019, but the range typically falls between $49,301 and $73,101. "

    https://www.salary.com/research/sala...cher-salary/il
    We live in a very nice school district where 85% of my property taxes go to. Of course, the cost of living is higher than in most places in Illinois. Also, I don’t believe the average HS teacher has worker anywhere near 30+ years.

    It is what it is. I will assure you that our average HS teachers make more than that average.

    Another HS coaching friend of mine just retired at 58 years old. I don’t know his salary, but he can’t be doing too bad.

    Edit add: I just looked it up. He was being paid $149K annually.

    He had a $21K “enhancement”. I suspect that is an early retirement enhancement. The system sucks.

    Further add: Looking down the list of teacher salaries in this school district, it looks like 60-65% of the HS teachers are earning $100K or more.
    Last edited by KillerGopherFan; 06-07-2019 at 02:58 PM.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34,433
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    We live in a very nice school district where 85% of my property taxes go to. Of course, the cost of living is higher than in most places in Illinois. Also, I don’t believe the average HS teacher has worker anywhere near 30+ years.

    It is what it is. I will assure you that our average HS teachers make more than that average.

    Another HS coaching friend of mine just retired at 58 years old. I don’t know his salary, but he can’t be doing too bad.
    You haven't fled to Florida yet? Better hurry before they charge you an exit tax like CA.

  12. #132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    We live in a very nice school district where 85% of my property taxes go to. Of course, the cost of living is higher than in most places in Illinois. Also, I don’t believe the average HS teacher has worker anywhere near 30+ years.

    It is what it is. I will assure you that our average HS teachers make more than that average.

    Another HS coaching friend of mine just retired at 58 years old. I don’t know his salary, but he can’t be doing too bad.

    Edit add: I just looked it up. He was being paid $149K annually.
    So you are using a few outliers to counteract my point that teachers are underpaid?
    Who hates iowa?

  13. #133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    You haven't fled to Florida yet? Better hurry before they charge you an exit tax like CA.
    I’m not going to sell my house in Illinois, so I’ll still be paying these property taxes. But yes, I want to beat the exit tax.

  14. #134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    So you are using a few outliers to counteract my point that teachers are underpaid?
    No. I’m telling you what our HS teachers are paid and the stupid system that causes Illinois to overpay teachers in retirement.

  15. #135

    Default

    Teachers are overpaid. Who else still gets a pension? Plus 3 months off in the summer, 2 weeks for Christmas, spring break and about 25 other days off for teacher workshops and holidays.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •