Rossi >>> Claeys???

John Galt

Reaction score
Seriously, what does Claeys have on Rossi? Rossi's defense just held Georgia Tech to 10 points without 4 starters - Winfield, Cashman, Smith, and Martin. Plus no Jamal Teague, who may have started this game if healthy. We were also with Antonio Shenault, who started several games this year. Tell me how this defensive performance wasn't as good as Washington St.

The 2016 Washington St offense averaged 38 points/game. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/washington-state/2016.html

The Georgia Tech offense averaged 36 points/game. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/2018.html

Couple this with giving up 14 points in Camp Randall (7 of which were on a garbage time TD) and 10 points against a very good Purdue offense. The final 4 games were better defensively than anything the previous staff did in 6 years. The future is bright...

Why beat up either one at this point?

Claeys was and is very good.... If Rossi is consistently as good, we've got a winner.

Both did equally well with the set of players they had. The Gophers are quietly building up talent mixed in with Claeys/Kill recruits.

What's the point of this thread today?

Rossi has been fantastic this year, I have absolutely zero issue with anything he's done and he's been incredibly impressive.

Why do you need to start these bizarre debates all of the time. Remember when I said you were transparent. I'm glad you're just owning it now.

Claeys was and is very good.... If Rossi is consistently as good, we've got a winner.

It's like when an NBA super star signs with a team that already has a super star, every body always asks "who is Batman and who is Robin? Who is the #1 scoring option and who is the #2 option?"

Why can't we just appreciate both and accept that both are very good? One doesn't always have to be better than the other.

I like both of these guys as to what they can do for a defense. I have nothing more to add.

Rossi has been fantastic this year, I have absolutely zero issue with anything he's done and he's been incredibly impressive.

Why do you need to start these bizarre debates all of the time. Remember when I said you were transparent. I'm glad you're just owning it now.

It's a hot stove and JG is a...

It's pretty simple. As a fan, you compare different teams. Especially on a message board. Fans ask questions like "Was this year's team better than last year's team?" Or the 2016 team? Was Mason a better coach than Kill? What's the best season we've had in the last decade? Why wasn't Brewster successful? Etc, etc

Claeys and the Washington St win have been immortalized by many. I'm stating my opinion and putting context around the amazing defensive performances that we've seen to end the season. The last 4 games have been the best 4 consecutive defensive performances I've seen from the Gophers in my lifetime.

Jury's still out. No verdict yet.

+1000

Way to early to judge Rossi as a P5 DC- certainly encouraging start but let's see a bit greater sample size before we anoint him as being better than the best DC the U has had in a few decades (that I can think of).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, what does Claeys have on Rossi? Rossi's defense just held Georgia Tech to 10 points without 4 starters - Winfield, Cashman, Smith, and Martin. Plus no Jamal Teague, who may have started this game if healthy. We were also with Antonio Shenault, who started several games this year. Tell me how this defensive performance wasn't as good as Washington St.

The 2016 Washington St offense averaged 38 points/game. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/washington-state/2016.html

The Georgia Tech offense averaged 36 points/game. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/2018.html

Couple this with giving up 14 points in Camp Randall (7 of which were on a garbage time TD) and 10 points against a very good Purdue offense. The final 4 games were better defensively than anything the previous staff did in 6 years. The future is bright...

Nice try
The defense was very disciplined today. They played extremely well and executed the game plan Rossi put together to perfection.
Our offense also helped out tremendously by going on long drives and putting up points early and taking GT out of their comfort zone.

Having just watched the WSU game on BTN an hour before the start, I couldn't help but feel the D today was playing in a similar manner as that game in that they were completely frustrating the opponent. Great way to end the season by the team.

Just quit with the trying to compare or say Rossi is better.

Another nothing burger being served up...

+1000

Way to early to judge Rossi as a P5 DC- certainly encouraging start but let's see a bit greater sample size before we anoint him as being better than the best DC the U has had in a few decades (that I can think of).

Thanks for being the first person on the thread to post facts. It's obviously still a small sample size for Rossi. However, I'd love to hear if anyone can remember a 4 game stretch of conference and bowl games where the defense has played better?

It's pretty simple. As a fan, you compare different teams. Especially on a message board. Fans ask questions like "Was this year's team better than last year's team?" Or the 2016 team? Was Mason a better coach than Kill? What's the best season we've had in the last decade? Why wasn't Brewster successful? Etc, etc

Claeys and the Washington St win have been immortalized by many. I'm stating my opinion and putting context around the amazing defensive performances that we've seen to end the season. The last 4 games have been the best 4 consecutive defensive performances I've seen from the Gophers in my lifetime.

Waiting for the 7 is better than 9* thread you will be starting soon.

Thanks for being the first person on the thread to post facts. It's obviously still a small sample size for Rossi. However, I'd love to hear if anyone can remember a 4 game stretch of conference and bowl games where the defense has played better?

My NCAA 14 defenses were even more dominating :cool:

Pound for pound Rossi is better.

Just wrong...but LMAO

Way too early to bite on this one.

Very pleased with what BOTH did for the defensive side of Gophers football.

Ask again when there's more data...probably in 2024...

I love it. I think this performance was better than the Claeys bowl game. Of course it is way too early to make an evaluation overall, but it sure is looking good so far!

1961 Gophers gave up 42 points in their last 5 games. 23 of them were in an upset loss to Wisconsin, but they went 4-1 and won the Rose Bowl.

You add a lot of information here, JG, but seems like you're sort of trolling here.

(And, yes, I do remember that defense though I had to look up the scores)

Rossi >>> Claeys???

Vandy, I couldn’t have said it better. This is an unnecessary thread. Both are good DC’s. Enough said.

John Galt, I think Rossi at this point has a more talented defensive outfit than Claeys ever got to work with, and I'm not convinced that the D would have stopped improving under DC Claeys. So I don't agree with the premise of the question, but I enjoy the discussion regardless.

This Rossi defense is almost as good Robb Smith's first year as DC at Arkansas.

John Galt, I think Rossi at this point has a more talented defensive outfit than Claeys ever got to work with, and I'm not convinced that the D would have stopped improving under DC Claeys. So I don't agree with the premise of the question, but I enjoy the discussion regardless.

It's in large part Claeys own fault if he had less talented outfits to work with.

Defense finished the season strong. I'd like to see what Rossi can do with a full year.

Way too early to bite on this one.

Very pleased with what BOTH did for the defensive side of Gophers football.

Ask again when there's more data...probably in 2024...

It doesn't make for very good conversation right now, but I agree.

Claeys was very good at using the players he had and putting them in position to play fast and be successful. Through 4 games Rossi has done the same thing.

Impossible not to be impressed with what Rossi has done since taking over. We have shut down very good offenses in Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech and we played very well on defense against Northwestern but made too many mistakes on offense to win the game.

Lots to be excited about heading into next year as the bulk fo the roster is back again. If what we have seen over these final 4 games continues this team may very well find itself contending for the West Division title.

This Rossi defense is almost as good Robb Smith's first year as DC at Arkansas.

With the 1 week turn around of the D it is obvious that Smith had the right parts to work with. There was just some assembly required.

Top Bottom