View Poll Results: What grade would you give the 2018 Gophers football season?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

9 6.21%
  • B

104 71.72%
  • C

32 22.07%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    I do find it interesting that 75% GHers polled thought Gophs should have at least eight wins in the regular season, yet almost the same percentage give them a B or better.
    If you had asked 'holers "How many wins will we get without either of our top two RBs and Winfield?" not many would have said "6 or 7."

JTG

I do find it interesting that 75% GHers polled thought Gophs should have at least eight wins in the regular season, yet almost the same percentage give them a B or better.
    Maybe they realized they were wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Optimism comes from the improvement of defense and significant wins at the end of the season. Before the DC change I would bet that most GHers would have given a D.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agree there is more optimism following the firing of Smith. That said, the season, on the whole, was a C. Some really good, some inexcusably bad. We should have won 8 games regular season and had a shot at 9 wins with the bowl. Tough to say if we would have won the bowl, as no doubt if we'd had 8 wins going in, we would have played a better team in the bowl game.
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

C. Year 1 was an F, regardless of culture shift. No reason to not make a bowl with the talent there. Year 2, PJ about let blind loyalty influence another year of no bowl, before doing the right thing in firing Smith, and keeping fan support. He was about in F mode before the Bowl victory. People dont want to hear about youth anymore - they want to hear about wins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akgo4 View Post
    C. Year 1 was an F, regardless of culture shift. No reason to not make a bowl with the talent there. Year 2, PJ about let blind loyalty influence another year of no bowl, before doing the right thing in firing Smith, and keeping fan support. He was about in F mode before the Bowl victory. People dont want to hear about youth anymore - they want to hear about wins.
    So true. Wish he had pulled the trigger on replacing smith earlier. We have all seen the stats - once the conference season started (in the first six games) we gave up 43 points a game and we were 1-5. Smith gone, teams adjusts and gives up only 15 points a game and goes 3-1 over the final four games (including the bowl game). That is four td’s less a game. 3-6 is a pretty bad conference record so it is hard to give the season anything more than a c or c- (although the strong finish really helped). If we pull the coaching change earlier perhaps we would have been two wins better.

Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    If you had asked 'holers "How many wins will we get without either of our top two RBs and Winfield?" not many would have said "6 or 7."

JTG
    The poll was after the Purdue game.

Quote Originally Posted by XMan View Post
    So true. Wish he had pulled the trigger on replacing smith earlier. We have all seen the stats - once the conference season started (in the first six games) we gave up 43 points a game and we were 1-5. Smith gone, teams adjusts and gives up only 15 points a game and goes 3-1 over the final four games (including the bowl game). That is four td’s less a game. 3-6 is a pretty bad conference record so it is hard to give the season anything more than a c or c- (although the strong finish really helped). If we pull the coaching change earlier perhaps we would have been two wins better.
    I am OK with year 2. Solid progress. Next year should be another step forward.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

The poll was after the Purdue game.
    Well then, nevermind.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XMan View Post

I still think how we closed out we bumped it up. Had we started say 6-0 and limped to 6-6, the feeling would've been different

I give them a "C" for average. They did beat Fresno State, Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech but the losses to Maryland, Iowa, Nebraska and Illinois were disappointing.

So if you give them an A for beating Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech, they get an F for losing to Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois which would mean an overall grade of a C.

I have to say 2019 is setting up to be one of the most anticipated Gophers football seasons in many years. A lot of young talent returning in addition to hopefully getting some key veterans back healthy. Much more favorable schedule as well in 2019 with home games against Maryland, Penn State, Nebraska and Wisconsin. We also get a 2nd bye week on November 2 which should help this team heading into the final 4 games.

Gave it a B

Had an A the first quarter, 2nd and 3rd were D/F, and the 4th quarter he pulled out an A+

Quote Originally Posted by JZsportswhiz View Post
    Gave it a B

Had an A the first quarter, 2nd and 3rd were D/F, and the 4th quarter he pulled out an A+
    The grade went from a D- to a B in hurry, and this started with the decisive decision by Fleck to get rid of Robb Smith.

The win at Wisconsin might have been enough for some to rate this season a success if it were one of two or three wins..

Winning big on the road in Madison and destroying a solid Ga. Tech team count for a lot and a B does not even seem to be enough, but I'll stick with it. Sure Fleck did create the mess by hiring Robb Smith, but at least he fixed it.

These guys gave us a "B" with the criteria being preseason hype vs performance. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...am/2474303002/