What grade would you give the 2018 Gophers football season?

• A

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • B

Votes: 104 71.7%
  • C

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

After a disgraceful midterm report card PJ crammed for the final pulling out an A+ and finished with a B.

B (partially projecting to the future).

non-conference...A-
B1G with Smith....D-/F
B1G/bowl with Rossi...A/A-

Getting the Axe back was huge and a dominating victor over a quality P5 school in the bowl game is a solid cherry on top.

Last edited:

I should wait until tomorrow before voting...but,
I think a "B" was earned on the graces of the way the season finished.
You could see possibilities earlier on in the season, but (obviously) the consistency was not there. I think it has now been found.

C. Strong finish almost pushed to b, but horrible defense early drags it down. Still excited for 2019, expectations have been raised

Getting Axe almost pushed to an A

I love the way they finished the year, but I cannot give a 7-6 record better than a C.

I love the way they finished the year, but I cannot give a 7-6 record better than a C.
Easy B. They finished the season the right way.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

B.

The last 4 games = A
The first 3 games = A
That stuff in the middle = C

My original preseason expectation was 7-6 last spring. A lot of that was because I thought Vic would be a superior QB to Rhoda/Croft.

After he turned out to be no good and transferred I dropped my exceptions to 6-7.

Overall B for meeting my original expectations.

B (partially projecting to the future).

non-conference...A-
B1G with Smith....D-/F
B1G/bowl with Rossi...A/A-

Getting the Axe back was huge and a dominating victor over a quality P5 school in the bowl game is a solid cherry on top.

Concur.

The Axe plus bowl win deserves consideration for a "B".

It was a B. We overperformed by beating Fresno St, Wisky and manhandling GT.

We underperformed losing to Illinois, Maryland and Nebraska.

First 3: B
Next 6: D
Last 4: A
Overall grade is a C+ Those blowout losses were really unacceptable, but the Axe win and the dominating fashion we won vs. Purdue, W, and GT were a great way to go into the off season and has me excited for next year.

I went B. It was bad early/mid, but we ended well and that is better than the other way around. I’m excited for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All things considered, it’s a B.

I had it at an F before the Purdue win.

I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First 3: B
Next 6: D
Last 4: A
Overall grade is a C+ Those blowout losses were really unacceptable, but the Axe win and the dominating fashion we won vs. Purdue, W, and GT were a great way to go into the off season and has me excited for next year.

Perfect agreement with all of this.

B for me for Year 01.

Probably still give too much weight for getting The Axe back but that was a big deal...worth a lot of extra credit points across the season.

Also, very easily could have gone further into the abyss after Illinois but decided to live...got to give credit there too.

Like others I think it is tough to judge this season as a whole because of the Smith firing and drastic turnaround after.

1st 9 games - C - some good wins and some ugly losses
Last 4 games - A - Dominant wins in 3 of the 4 games against solid teams that we will need to compete with moving forward.

If I had to pin a grade on the whole season I would go with a B. Future outlook right now is very very bright.

End of the season was great. Fired DC and things turned around.

After the DC change, the Gophers were one of the better teams in the West, crushing Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech. I hope Johnson, Smith and Brooks are back next year and we become one of the better teams in the entire conference.

From B to B+ with the dominating bowl win.

It is only Year 01 after all...

We beat Wisconsin in Madson and got the Axe back for the first time in 14 years. That was the biggest win we've had in a decade. I know the Illinios, Nebraska and Maryland games were bad, but I would rather lose all three of those games and beat Wisconsin (especially the way we did) than win those three games and get beat by Wisconsin again. The Wisconsin win plus the beat down of Georgia Tech yesterday in a game very few national media members thought we would win make it hard for me to give a grade lower than a B+.

I went with C but could be talked into B. I thought it was critical to get to a bowl game this year, and I predicted six wins. We met that minimum expectation. The Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois performances were unacceptable, and I was beginning to have doubts about Fleck. They definitely turned it around and have looked mostly great for four games.

I'm excited for next season. If you have to struggle it's better to do that first then finish strong.

The overall data says C+, but if the last two games were weighted higher, then the grade would move up to a B. Those butt-kickings we got from Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois cannot be dismissed, however.

Top Bottom