Will the Gophers be ranked in the 2019 preseason poll?

Will the Gophers be ranked in the 2019 preseason poll?

• Yes

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • No

Votes: 105 92.1%

• Total voters
What are the stats on returning starters, returning two deep, and how difficult is the schedule? I think that’s what gets looked at.

I think the more interesting question is, will the Gophers be ranked in the top 25 at any point by the playoff committee?

Teams who have strung together several really good seasons seem to get automatic endorsement by summer magazines and pollsters. The Gophers do not yet have that prestige. For 2019, Minnesota will still be in the "sleeper" category, where we have been for several years.

No. no! no way! not even a chance in .....

You get the point. It’s not a reflection on the Gophers per say, but rather on the B1G West. I will say no B1G West program will crack the top 20, and only one, at best will be in the top 25 (maybe none).

Until a B1G West wins the B1G, no one will award preseason accolades to B1G West programs.

Looking at it another way, SEC West will get 5 spots, SEC East will get 3 spots. Texas and OU will be included. OhSt, Penn St, and Mich will be included. Notre Dame, Clemson, one more from the ACC. Oregon, Washington, WSU, and USC.

That is your 20 spots before you get to a possible B1G West school.

If Fresno St is ranked, we might have a shot at being ranked after beating them on the road.

No. no! no way! not even a chance in .....

You get the point. It’s not a reflection on the Gophers per say, but rather on the B1G West. I will say no B1G West program will crack the top 20, and only one, at best will be in the top 25 (maybe none).

Until a B1G West wins the B1G, no one will award preseason accolades to B1G West programs.

Looking at it another way, SEC West will get 5 spots, SEC East will get 3 spots. Texas and OU will be included. OhSt, Penn St, and Mich will be included. Notre Dame, Clemson, one more from the ACC. Oregon, Washington, WSU, and USC.

That is your 20 spots before you get to a possible B1G West school.

I’d wait to see how the bowl games go before projecting the rankings. What if the west wins all its games?

Purdue might get some early love and we play them week 4. Expert ESPN announcers think they are really trending up.
So if they are ranked and we go and beat them to go 4-0, we might get a vote.

I’d wait to see how the bowl games go before projecting the rankings. What if the west wins all its games?

I think that happened last year... and Wisconsin was ranked. No one else.

What say you?

I hope not! I think the lack of respect will lead to a "difficult conversation" with the team that will have them even more motivated then this year.

Penn State is their 9th game next year. I think they could very well be favored in every game up to that point, except possibly Fresno State which is an away game. During that stretch their most difficult games would be Penn State and Nebraska both of which are at TCF Bank Stadium. Who knows about Fresno State as their starting QB graduates.

I know I am pumped today, but I think the schedule is extremely favorable with both Maryland and Rutgers on it: https://gophersports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=351

No chance. 7-6, winning a minor bowl game the day after Xmas? I would rank us somewhere in the 40's to start out.

2 or 3 voters will have us on their ballot for a total of 5 points.

I think the more interesting question is, will the Gophers be ranked in the top 25 at any point by the playoff committee?

That Penn State game could be pretty key. I think if PSU is ranked in the top 15 and Gophs go into that game 6-2 or 7-1, they probably would be ranked around 20. A close loss to PSU probably keeps Gophs in the top 25. To me that is a juicy game set up for a big signature win for Fleck & Co. Love Gophs to be 8-1 or 7-2 and ranked in the teens going into Iowa!

Big Ten West will have one or two teams ranked. Probably Purdue and Sconnie. One might be around 19. The other at 24. Depends if the media falls in love with Scott Frost or not. They could be getting votes because it's Nebraska.

Big Ten West will have one or two teams ranked. Probably Purdue and Sconnie. One might be around 19. The other at 24. Depends if the media falls in love with Scott Frost or not. They could be getting votes because it's Nebraska.

You are forgetting jNW. They are always the media’s preseason darling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are forgetting jNW. They are always the media’s preseason darling.

Not so fast...they weren't ranked coming into 2018 despite winning 10 games in 2017. I got hammered by the usual suspects when I questioned how that could happen.

Not so fast...they weren't ranked coming into 2018 despite winning 10 games in 2017. I got hammered by the usual suspects when I questioned how that could happen.

Interesting. I set my clock to jNW being pimped each summer. I didn’t realize or remember someone didn’t get the message last year (ironically, the year they should have).

Miami was ranked top 10 preseason.

I figured NW could be in the top 25 but Purdue is gaining steam and the Big Ten West will only get 2 top 25 spots.

No chance.

We will be picked to finish 5th at best in the B1G West behind WI, IA, NE, and NW if not also Purdue.
Not saying I agree, but that is where media will put us.

we won't be ranked pre-season, but we will finish the season ranked.

Top Bottom