PP: After big junior season, could Gophers’ Tyler Johnson leave early for NFL?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The Gophers lately haven’t had a lot of players with the option to leave early for the NFL draft. Tight end Maxx Williams left after his redshirt sophomore season in 2014, and was taken in the second round by the Baltimore Ravens. Since then, it’s been quiet.

But receiver Tyler Johnson has added some intrigue after a monster junior season.

The Minneapolis native was a first-team all-Big Ten selection by the conference’s media and named to the second team by its coaches. And his receptions, yards, and touchdowns rank among the nation’s top 20 as the Gophers prepare for the Wednesday, Dec. 26, Quick Lane Bowl.

Johnson can break three Gophers single-season records against Georgia Tech at Ford Field. His 1,112 receiving yards are 13 behind Ron Johnson’s 1,125 in 2000, and his 10 touchdowns are one shy of tying Johnson and Omar Douglas’s 11 in 2000 and 1993, respectively.

He also is 10 receptions from catching Eric Decker’s record 84 in 2008.

The Gophers attended the Vikings’ 27-9 victory over the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday, and Johnson admitted his mind wandered to the prospect of playing in the NFL. But he insisted he hasn’t thought about whether this week’s bowl game will be his last at Minnesota.

“It really hasn’t come to mind yet,” he said. “I’m just focused on finishing the season and really being there for my teammates. So whatever happens, happens.”

Schools can request evaluations on up to five underclassmen from the College Advisory Committee, which includes NFL personnel and scouting organizations. The board returns ratings on potential first- and second-round picks; otherwise, they suggest the player stays in school.

Last year, the NFL said 140 players were advised to remain in school; 40 declared for the draft anyway.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sp...n-could-gophers-tyler-johnson-leave-early-nfl

Go Gophers!!

giphy.gif

If he leaves early, I can't begrudge him for wanting to try to capitalize on his talents. I'll definitely wish him the best. Selfishly, for the team and improving his draft position, I hope he stays.

TJ6...
“It really hasn’t come to mind yet,” he said. “I’m just focused on finishing the season and really being there for my teammates. So whatever happens, happens.”

Is this a shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ6...

Is this a shot?

Could be, but not necessarily.

My guess he'll opt for the evaluation by the scouts and after that, who knows? I think he has a future in the NFL, but one bad 40-yard dash time (hand-timed or otherwise) and you drop to the third day.

I
My guess he'll opt for the evaluation by the scouts and after that, who knows? I think he has a future in the NFL, but one bad 40-yard dash time (hand-timed or otherwise) and you drop to the third day.

I’d go with he’s a third day guy (based on his overall WR ranking and when those guys go in previous drafts) already

I

I’d go with he’s a third day guy (based on his overall WR ranking and when those guys go in previous drafts) already

Could be, but I think he has the potential to be a second day guy. Whether it's this year of next is the question. And it's going to depend on his speed. He's really strong and athletic, but it's always difficult to tell whether a guy has "pro" football speed in today's college game.

TJ6...

Is this a shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The situation is a little different with a senior vs someone leaving early but man that does sound like a shot if I've ever heard one.

He really should stay for one more year because he could raise his stock tremendously. He'll probably be a late round draft pick with no guarantee to make a roster, but if stays and has the same type of a season and improves his speed, you know eyes will be on him. In my opinion, he'd be making a mistake if he turns pro.

I understand that between injuries and longevity these guys want to play as early as possible. I hope we have him another year.

I just don’t think he will. Late round picks don’t make S and tougher to make a roster.

I wish the media would shut up about Tyler going pro - he can make All-America next year, maybe win the Biletnikoff Award and go higher in the draft. Goes without saying we need him.

If he goes pro he goes pro, obviously we all hope he comes back but he will make whatever decision he thinks is best. I'm no draft expert so hopefully he gets good advice and makes the decision that is truly in his best interests.

If he does go pro he went out on a great note. But hopefully we get to watch #6 running routes and catching TDs for one more year. Would love to see what he and Bateman could do with another year together, could be truly special.

If he goes pro he goes pro, obviously we all hope he comes back but he will make whatever decision he thinks is best. I'm no draft expert so hopefully he gets good advice and makes the decision that is truly in his best interests.

If he does go pro he went out on a great note. But hopefully we get to watch #6 running routes and catching TDs for one more year. Would love to see what he and Bateman could do with another year together, could be truly special.

TJ has learned a lot of the finer points of being a WR from the current coaching staff. another year will help him even more.

I think one thing we might have going in favor of his returning, that we haven't really had for a long time, is a legit chance to win a Div Title and to play in a New Year's Day Bowl game.

Will depend on if he believes that is possible or not? His staying or going might be something we fans can look at as an internal gauge of how high our hopes could be for next season? I mean, his leaving might not mean we don't have a chance, but his staying, if he could easily leave, could be a very good sign?

"See you next year"

sounds like he already decided he is staying.

Kids seem like they love PJ and want to play for him

Did someone mention that this year's crop of wide receivers in the NFL Draft is smaller than normal?

It is hard to say if waiting a year is to his benefit. A professional assessment by NFL scouts might be a prudent thing to do.

The average NFL career for a Wide Receiver is 2.81 years. If a Wide Receiver makes an opening day roster, the average career is 6 years.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/
I'm not sure that matters as much as you might think. Sometimes a late 1st round pick can slide up to early because of lack of competition, but a day 3 guy doesn't move up to day 2, a day 2 guy doesn't move up to day 1. Those rounds are more about the best players available than need. A mid talent WR doesn't become a stud just because there aren't any studs...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The most important reason why Tyler Johnson, Carter Coughlin, Thomas Barber, and other are staying is because they have some unfinished business to do. WIN a Big Ten Title!

The most important reason why Tyler Johnson, Carter Coughlin, Thomas Barber, and other are staying is because they have some unfinished business to do. WIN a Big Ten Title!

It does feel that way based on their commentary

Perfect timing to have a team littered with MN kids (Coughlin, Andries, Olson, Barber, Mafe, Spann-Ford, etc.) have a great season while Kaden Johnson, Suggs, McDonald, etc. are deciding whether or not to stay home.

Top Bottom