Fleck on preparing for Ga Tech: “We changed our complete defense”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

A whole new defense

In preparing for Georgia Tech’s unusual triple-option attack, the Gophers’ defense has essentially had to scrap every concept Fleck and his staff have tried to instill over the past two seasons and start over.

“We changed our complete defense,” Fleck said. “We have DB’s playing linebacker and D-lineman playing linebackers. Who are the best tacklers and the smartest players that you have? It rearranges positions. You can’t have your normal defenses out there. The whole slogan in the secondary has been ‘boring is good.’ If you are bored, you are doing a great job.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-s-gophers-begin-quick-lane-bowl-prep-in-detroit/503410192/

Go Gophers!!

I’m hoping CC45 is one of those D-lineman playing LB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like our LBs are the ones suspended.

What I want to know is who won the fowling contest between the two teams?

Not a Twitter guy...any tweets out there in the Twitterverse?

per STrib:

A whole new defense

In preparing for Georgia Tech’s unusual triple-option attack, the Gophers’ defense has essentially had to scrap every concept Fleck and his staff have tried to instill over the past two seasons and start over.

“We changed our complete defense,” Fleck said. “We have DB’s playing linebacker and D-lineman playing linebackers. Who are the best tacklers and the smartest players that you have? It rearranges positions. You can’t have your normal defenses out there. The whole slogan in the secondary has been ‘boring is good.’ If you are bored, you are doing a great job.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-s-gophers-begin-quick-lane-bowl-prep-in-detroit/503410192/

Go Gophers!!

I know we have 15 or whatever practices to prepare. I know nobody runs the triple option. But, it is a highly unusual radical approach. I hope it works.
Lol....I think I like the LB's must be the guys suspended explanation better. :clap:

per STrib:

A whole new defense

Go Gophers!!

I take this all with a grain of salt. Certainly you have to prepare differently but some of this is just Fleck talking.

It's gonna be like Wile E Coyote vs the Road Runner. Georgia Tech being the Road Runner...

I take this all with a grain of salt. Certainly you have to prepare differently but some of this is just Fleck talking.

Yeah - it might be as simple as one CB playing LB sometimes or CC45 playing LB sometimes.

It's almost the end of 2018, so mark this down as the one time for 2018 that I'm going to agree with you.

My guess is that we'll see a normal lineup and normal formations, minus Cashman and anyone suspended, to start. I bet they did practice with some weird stuff as a backup or to throw in once in a while to try to make a big play.

Either way, with how poorly the Gophers defended against elusive running backs and quarterbacks this year, preparing for Georgia Tech should help in the future against teams that don't run the triple option.

My guess is that we'll see a normal lineup and normal formations, minus Cashman and anyone suspended, to start. I bet they did practice with some weird stuff as a backup or to throw in once in a while to try to make a big play.

Either way, with how poorly the Gophers defended against elusive running backs and quarterbacks this year, preparing for Georgia Tech should help in the future against teams that don't run the triple option.

I'll disagree. I don't think they will go full blown Claeys from a couple years ago where the defense lined up in the quadruple power i or whatever it was (it was freakin awesome whatever it was) but I think our base defense will be different for this game than it was for say the Wisconsin game or other B1G games.

Top Bottom