Fox 9: 'Merry Christmas to us': Gophers prep for bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox 9:

Consider it the 15 days of Christmas for the University of Minnesota football team.

While most of us are shopping, baking cookies and getting ready for family get-togethers, the Gophers are getting ready to hop on a plane for Detroit to play Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 26. It’s the first bowl appearance for Minnesota under second-year coach PJ Fleck.

The Gophers earned bowl eligibility after beating rival Wisconsin, in Madison, 37-15 in the regular season finale to finish 6-6. It was the first time in 14 seasons Minnesota had beaten Wisconsin, and first time it had been done at Camp Randall since 1994.

The reward is 15 extra practices before heading to Detroit.

“I’m excited we’re in a bowl game. I’m excited we’re in the Quick Lane Bowl, excited we get to go to Detroit and spend Christmas at a bowl site,” Fleck said. “Those are things we can never take for granted, and I don’t want to take them for granted. Every bowl is an elite bowl.”

For the players, it means an extra 15 practices. It’s a time to develop, get better every day and it can serve as a springboard to spring football.

“It’s really exciting for us to get extra practices. You can say what you want about practice, but we love practice. Our practices are fun and efficient. We love practice, Merry Christmas to us,” linebacker Thomas Barber said.

http://www.fox9.com/sports/-merry-christmas-to-us-gophers-prep-for-bowl

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom