Cinci.com: Ryle graduate Tanner Morgan leading a University of Minnesota resurgence

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Cinci.com:

As Minnesota headed to halftime in their Oct. 20 tilt with Nebraska, the scoreboard cast a menacing reminder that the Golden Gophers’ bowl-bid hopes were on the brink.

Entering the game, the team had dropped their last three Big Ten contests and were outscored 120-58 during the stretch. The first-half performance against the winless Cornhuskers was a continuation of that trend, and the Gophers were pinned by a 28-8 deficit.

Incumbent starting quarterback Zack Annexstad left the game due to injury.

But Annexstad’s misfortune was his backup’s gain, and Ryle graduate Tanner Morgan seized the moment. The freshman quarterback sparked a 14-point run, narrowing the margin to six midway through the third quarter. Though the Gophers ultimately lost the game, Morgan’s play cemented his grasp of the QB1 reigns.

Morgan was slated to start the next game against the Indiana Hoosiers. A psyche devoid of nerves or pressure helps explain the success of his early collegiate career.

“My coaches did a great job getting me prepared,” Morgan said of his first start. “I wasn’t really nervous. I was just anxious to play, just to go out there and play ball.”

Playing ball is exactly what he did. Morgan completed 17-of-24 passes against the Hoosiers, eclipsing the 300-yard mark and notching three touchdown passes to just one interception. And in a 31-31 tie game with less than two minutes remaining, the freshman connected with another first-year player in receiver Rashod Bateman for a 67-yard, lead-commanding touchdown.

“I think you all know Tanner, who follow us, know how gutsy he is,” head coach PJ Fleck said after the win. “What his heart’s like, what his passion is like, what his spirit is like… Tanner proved why he’s here. He is a very humble young ma. He gives credit to everybody else. He’s an incredible leader.”

Since taking over as the head signal caller, Morgan has led the Gophers to a 3-2 record and passed for 1,020 yards and seven touchdowns. He also helped orchestrate a 37-15 win over rival Wisconsin Nov. 24, as Minnesota reclaimed The Paul Bunyan Axe for the first time since 2003.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...s-university-minnesota-resurgence/2359108002/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom