Reusse: College football just might have too many bowl games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

The Big Ten did not allow a team to play in a bowl game other than the Rose Bowl until after the 1975 season, when Michigan defeated USC in the Rose and Ohio State defeated Colorado in the Orange.

There were 11 bowl games between major college teams after the 1975 season. Two years later, the Big Ten allowed a third team in a bowl: Cal Stoll’s Gophers, 7-5 after losing to Maryland 17-7 in the new Hall of Fame Classic in Birmingham, Ala., on Dec. 22, 1977.

The Gophers next played in a bowl game on Dec. 21, 1985, defeating Clemson 20-13 in the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La. The number of bowls had increased to 17, and ticket sales indicated Minnesotans were skeptical over the importance of qualifying for one with a 6-5 record.

The Gophers sold a mere 600 of the 12,000 tickets that they were contractually obligated to purchase.

I mean, 17 bowl games … it was getting silly, right?

http://www.startribune.com/college-football-just-might-have-too-many-bowl-games/503391262/

Go Gophers!!

I think Reusse is just trolling, again. [emoji2957][emoji2957]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

He’s been writing this same column for nearly 30 years.
It’s like watching reruns of Cheers.

In that case, he’s been right for nearly 30 years.

I know folks don’t like Pat, but come on. He is right that there are too many bowl games. It’s OK to agree with him from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saying there are too many Bowl games is like saying there are too many McDonald’s restaurants. They exist because they make money. If you don’t like bowl games, don’t watch them. Problem solved.

I don’t like McDonald’s, so I don’t eat at them. But their mere existence doesn’t bother me in the least.

I read the lead and thought "Well, no sh*t Sherlock."

The Twin Cities has too many fake sports talk stations too. Does this factor into the equation in any way?

Top Bottom