STrib: 8 wins in 2019 should be a realistic expectation with talent Gophers return

I’d say expectation, for sure. If the Gophers don’t win 8 next season it will not simply be a disappointment, it will be a failure. It is (past) time to stop tamping.

Is that including a bowl win? 7-5 regular season, then 8-5 with bowl win?

Would be going from 5-7, to 6-6, to 7-5 regular season, with each season being 3-0 in non-conf, and therefore going 2-7 to 3-6 to 4-5 in Big Ten.

That is not a failure to me. Not sure if I would call it a success, but not a failure.

The TRUE thing would be 2020. Can we continue taking it up a notch? 5-4 Big Ten? 6-3 Big Ten?

Maybe I'm just optimistic to hope that by year three, we can exceed Brewster's year 2 by one win.

But you have to look at the competition in the West:
- Brohm stayed at Purdue, and has them pointed up.
- Frost at Nebraska, we will see, but people seem to think they're the next Saban/Alabama.
- Lovie lives on at Illinois, tough to tell what will happen there, but they technically are trending up.

Then you've got the more "traditional three":
- Wisconsin does what it does, really down year for them because they didn't win 10/11 games like clockwork
- Iowa does what it does, they usually win 8/9 games sometimes more
- Northwestern does what it does, just went 8-1 in the Big Ten to go to the championship game, Fitz recruits the type of guys that fit that school and culture

So the thing, of course, is that it is physically impossible for all seven West teams to take big steps forwards at once. We have to beat each other up, to some degree. Fleck has to overcome all that competition.

I'd call it a realistic goal, not a realistic expectation.

We were a competent DC away from that this year. Why shouldn't it be an expectation with the subtraction of Robb Smith and one more year of experience (and extra practice the bowl gives us?)?

Next year the schedule is more favorable

We trade a road game at Ohio State for a home game vs Penn St.

Other home games vs Maryland, Nebraska, Illinois (all terrible road losses this year), and Wisco (axe two years in row?? They'll want blood). On road at Iowa, Northwestern (they beat us at home this year), Purdue (will want blood) and Rutgers (in theory easier than Indiana, but you never know until the season starts playing out).

South Dakota St will be tougher than New Mexico St. It might be true Fresno will be weaker next year, but the game is on the road instead of home. Georgia Southern will be tougher than Miami OH.

I can buy marginally better schedule, at most. More likely, a wash.

Everyone expecting 8 wins must be betting heavily on the over when Vegas comes out with win totals, cause I know they will have it at less than 8.

But you have to look at the competition in the West:
- Brohm stayed at Purdue, and has them pointed up.
- Frost at Nebraska, we will see, but people seem to think they're the next Saban/Alabama.
- Lovie lives on at Illinois, tough to tell what will happen there, but they technically are trending up.

Then you've got the more "traditional three":
- Wisconsin does what it does, really down year for them because they didn't win 10/11 games like clockwork
- Iowa does what it does, they usually win 8/9 games sometimes more
- Northwestern does what it does, just went 8-1 in the Big Ten to go to the championship game, Fitz recruits the type of guys that fit that school and culture

So the thing, of course, is that it is physically impossible for all seven West teams to take big steps forwards at once. We have to beat each other up, to some degree. Fleck has to overcome all that competition.

Well, if your analysis is going to include every West team, including IL, on the upswing then I think it is clear you are making your data conform to your desired conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only three out of the seven I implied as being on the upswing, which didn't include IL

“Trending up” doesn’t mean the same as on the upswing? Okey Dokey. My bad, I guess.

“Trending up” doesn’t mean the same as on the upswing?

When you include the rest of the context, both on that line and in the whole post, then it's quite obvious what was being said.

So stop ignoring that context, on purpose, and you can sit at the adults' table.

We trade a road game at Ohio State for a home game vs Penn St.

Other home games vs Maryland, Nebraska, Illinois (all terrible road losses this year), and Wisco (axe two years in row?? They'll want blood). On road at Iowa, Northwestern (they beat us at home this year), Purdue (will want blood) and Rutgers (in theory easier than Indiana, but you never know until the season starts playing out).

South Dakota St will be tougher than New Mexico St. It might be true Fresno will be weaker next year, but the game is on the road instead of home. Georgia Southern will be tougher than Miami OH.

I can buy marginally better schedule, at most. More likely, a wash.

Wow, Gophs might not get a win next year. Give me a break.

When you include the rest of the context, both on that line and in the whole post, then it's quite obvious what was being said.

So stop ignoring that context, on purpose, and you can sit at the adults' table.

“...- Lovie lives on at Illinois, tough to tell what will happen there, but they technically are trending up...”

Merry Christmas!

Everyone expecting 8 wins must be betting heavily on the over when Vegas comes out with win totals, cause I know they will have it at less than 8.

Well i read in this thread the GHole experts think the Gophers should have won 8 games this year. So of course anything less than 8 wins next year is a massive failure. The GHole experts have spoken and they will be betting heavily on the over Vegas win total in 2019.

“...- Lovie lives on at Illinois, tough to tell what will happen there, but they technically are trending up...”

Right, adults can instantly see that "technically trending up" isn't any kind of endorsement, that you were trying to pretend like I was saying ... about all seven teams ... in your post a few back.

Glad you're on board now. Please take your seat.

Well i read in this thread the GHole experts think the Gophers should have won 8 games this year. So of course anything less than 8 wins next year is a massive failure. The GHole experts have spoken and they will be betting heavily on the over Vegas win total in 2019.

Is a “GHole expert” anyone that has an opinion that you don’t agree with?

Is a “GHole expert” anyone that has an opinion that you don’t agree with?

In this case - yes

Stop lying. You know I said nothing of the sort.

We won six this year and I said the schedule is either the same or marginally better.

It's called sarcasm. Grow up. Given the breadth of your posts in this thread, Gophs have no chance to move up the food chain.

Here's the poll. Look at who voted where. Pretty apparent what GHers thought.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/poll.php?pollid=969&do=showresults

Gophs return around 80% of starters, have strong bench for depth, get key players back off injury, more favorable schedule with five home B1G games. All things pointed to as reasons Gophs didn't have a better 2018. All that being said, they chould be 8=4 right now.

Here's the poll. Look at who voted where. Pretty apparent what GHers thought.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/poll.php?pollid=969&do=showresults

Gophs return around 80% of starters, have strong bench for depth, get key players back off injury, more favorable schedule with five home B1G games. All things pointed to as reasons Gophs didn't have a better 2018. All that being said, they chould be 8=4 right now.

So what if GHolers thought the 2018 Gophers should be 8-4. Doesn’t mean anything and it certainly doesn’t mean the 2019 Gophers have to be better than that because there is a poll saying so.

8 is realistic. Every game on the schedule is winnable but there are very few gimmies. The 3 non-conference games and Rutgers should be wins, the rest are mostly toss ups.

So what if GHolers thought the 2018 Gophers should be 8-4. Doesn’t mean anything and it certainly doesn’t mean the 2019 Gophers have to be better than that because there is a poll saying so.

No, but the OP is regarding what people's expectations are. A poll related to 2018 might give some insight into what people are thinking.

If people thought we would have been 8-4 this year with Rossi, then next year at a minimum should be 8-4. I heard we had a really young team this year, which by most logic should be older, more experienced, and better next year.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say he was bringing up the poll in response to this post (which he quoted in his reply)....

<b>Well i read in this thread the GHole experts think the Gophers should have won 8 games this year.</b> So of course anything less than 8 wins next year is a massive failure. The GHole experts have spoken and they will be betting heavily on the over Vegas win total in 2019.

8 is realistic. Every game on the schedule is winnable but there are very few gimmies. The 3 non-conference games and Rutgers should be wins, the rest are mostly toss ups.

We will see how the season unfolds, of course, they could be a very different team. But as of right now, on paper, Penn State at home is not "winnable", unless you're claiming to use the word in a useless sense ("well technically, either team can win any game"). We're not there yet, sorry.

We will see how the season unfolds, of course, they could be a very different team. But as of right now, on paper, Penn State at home is not "winnable", unless you're claiming to use the word in a useless sense ("well technically, either team can win any game"). We're not there yet, sorry.

I'm sure you would have also said @Wisconsin was not winnable before this season..

Penn State for me is always one of the most overrated teams. I certainly don't think we'll be favored and maybe it will be more of a 30% chance at a win for us, but still winnable.

I'm sure you would have also said @Wisconsin was not winnable before this season..

That's your argument? Because we beat Wisconsin this year, every game next year is "winnable" (and using that in a non-trivial sense)?

Doesn't work for me, but you do you. I would say you're not outright wrong, just mostly wrong.

Penn State for me is always one of the most overrated teams. I certainly don't think we'll be favored and maybe it will be more of a 30% chance at a win for us, but still winnable.

So what's the definition of "winnable" then??

Like any internet message board discussion ...... at some point they all just devolve into arguing over the definition of words and how they were used in the context of previous posts.

If you're defining "winnable" to mean 30% chance to win or more .... to me that's trivial and useless use of the word, in the context of the discussion.

So what's the definition of "winnable" then??

Like any internet message board discussion ...... at some point they all just devolve into arguing over the definition of words and how they were used in the context of previous posts.

If you're defining "winnable" to mean 30% chance to win or more .... to me that's trivial and useless use of the word, in the context of the discussion.

I guess I'm one of those people that leans toward any game being winnable. Obviously some have a greater % winnability than others.

Top Bottom