Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    I’d say expectation, for sure. If the Gophers don’t win 8 next season it will not simply be a disappointment, it will be a failure. It is (past) time to stop tamping.
    Is that including a bowl win? 7-5 regular season, then 8-5 with bowl win?

Would be going from 5-7, to 6-6, to 7-5 regular season, with each season being 3-0 in non-conf, and therefore going 2-7 to 3-6 to 4-5 in Big Ten.

That is not a failure to me. Not sure if I would call it a success, but not a failure.

The TRUE thing would be 2020. Can we continue taking it up a notch? 5-4 Big Ten? 6-3 Big Ten?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    Maybe I'm just optimistic to hope that by year three, we can exceed Brewster's year 2 by one win.
    But you have to look at the competition in the West:
    - Brohm stayed at Purdue, and has them pointed up.
    - Frost at Nebraska, we will see, but people seem to think they're the next Saban/Alabama.
    - Lovie lives on at Illinois, tough to tell what will happen there, but they technically are trending up.

Then you've got the more "traditional three":
    - Wisconsin does what it does, really down year for them because they didn't win 10/11 games like clockwork
    - Iowa does what it does, they usually win 8/9 games sometimes more
    - Northwestern does what it does, just went 8-1 in the Big Ten to go to the championship game, Fitz recruits the type of guys that fit that school and culture

So the thing, of course, is that it is physically impossible for all seven West teams to take big steps forwards at once. We have to beat each other up, to some degree. Fleck has to overcome all that competition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    I'd call it a realistic goal, not a realistic expectation.
    We were a competent DC away from that this year. Why shouldn't it be an expectation with the subtraction of Robb Smith and one more year of experience (and extra practice the bowl gives us?)?
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    Next year the schedule is more favorable
    We trade a road game at Ohio State for a home game vs Penn St.

Other home games vs Maryland, Nebraska, Illinois (all terrible road losses this year), and Wisco (axe two years in row?? They'll want blood). On road at Iowa, Northwestern (they beat us at home this year), Purdue (will want blood) and Rutgers (in theory easier than Indiana, but you never know until the season starts playing out).

South Dakota St will be tougher than New Mexico St. It might be true Fresno will be weaker next year, but the game is on the road instead of home. Georgia Southern will be tougher than Miami OH.

I can buy marginally better schedule, at most. More likely, a wash.

Everyone expecting 8 wins must be betting heavily on the over when Vegas comes out with win totals, cause I know they will have it at less than 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    But you have to look at the competition in the West:
    - Brohm stayed at Purdue, and has them pointed up.
    - Frost at Nebraska, we will see, but people seem to think they're the next Saban/Alabama.
    - Lovie lives on at Illinois, tough to tell what will happen there, but they technically are trending up.

Then you've got the more "traditional three":
    - Wisconsin does what it does, really down year for them because they didn't win 10/11 games like clockwork
    - Iowa does what it does, they usually win 8/9 games sometimes more
    - Northwestern does what it does, just went 8-1 in the Big Ten to go to the championship game, Fitz recruits the type of guys that fit that school and culture

So the thing, of course, is that it is physically impossible for all seven West teams to take big steps forwards at once. We have to beat each other up, to some degree. Fleck has to overcome all that competition.
    Well, if your analysis is going to include every West team, including IL, on the upswing then I think it is clear you are making your data conform to your desired conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Well, if your analysis is going to include every West team, including IL, on the upswing
    Only three out of the seven I implied as being on the upswing, which didn't include IL

Only three out of the seven I implied as being on the upswing, which didn't include IL
    “Trending up” doesn’t mean the same as on the upswing? Okey Dokey. My bad, I guess.

“Trending up” doesn’t mean the same as on the upswing?
    When you include the rest of the context, both on that line and in the whole post, then it's quite obvious what was being said.

So stop ignoring that context, on purpose, and you can sit at the adults' table.

We trade a road game at Ohio State for a home game vs Penn St.

Other home games vs Maryland, Nebraska, Illinois (all terrible road losses this year), and Wisco (axe two years in row?? They'll want blood). On road at Iowa, Northwestern (they beat us at home this year), Purdue (will want blood) and Rutgers (in theory easier than Indiana, but you never know until the season starts playing out).

South Dakota St will be tougher than New Mexico St. It might be true Fresno will be weaker next year, but the game is on the road instead of home. Georgia Southern will be tougher than Miami OH.

I can buy marginally better schedule, at most. More likely, a wash.
    Wow, Gophs might not get a win next year. Give me a break.

When you include the rest of the context, both on that line and in the whole post, then it's quite obvious what was being said.

So stop ignoring that context, on purpose, and you can sit at the adults' table.
    “...- Lovie lives on at Illinois, tough to tell what will happen there, but they technically are trending up...”

Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    Everyone expecting 8 wins must be betting heavily on the over when Vegas comes out with win totals, cause I know they will have it at less than 8.
    Well i read in this thread the GHole experts think the Gophers should have won 8 games this year. So of course anything less than 8 wins next year is a massive failure. The GHole experts have spoken and they will be betting heavily on the over Vegas win total in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    Gophs might not get a win next year.
    Stop lying. You know I said nothing of the sort.

We won six this year and I said the schedule is either the same or marginally better.

“...- Lovie lives on at Illinois, tough to tell what will happen there, but they technically are trending up...”
    Right, adults can instantly see that "technically trending up" isn't any kind of endorsement, that you were trying to pretend like I was saying ... about all seven teams ... in your post a few back.

Glad you're on board now. Please take your seat.

Quote Originally Posted by scools12 View Post
    Well i read in this thread the GHole experts think the Gophers should have won 8 games this year. So of course anything less than 8 wins next year is a massive failure. The GHole experts have spoken and they will be betting heavily on the over Vegas win total in 2019.
    Is a “GHole expert” anyone that has an opinion that you don’t agree with?