Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default STrib: 8 wins in 2019 should be a realistic expectation with talent Gophers return

per Johnson:

Final word: Johnson

Eight wins in 2019 should be a realistic expectation with the talent the Gophers return, though the nonconference schedule of South Dakota State (10-3 and an FCS semifinalist), Fresno State (12-2 with a bowl win) and Georgia Southern (10-3 with a bowl win) might be more challenging than many expect.

http://www.startribune.com/how-much-...ame/503392762/

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Johnson:

Final word: Johnson

Eight wins in 2019 should be a realistic expectation with the talent the Gophers return, though the nonconference schedule of South Dakota State (10-3 and an FCS semifinalist), Fresno State (12-2 with a bowl win) and Georgia Southern (10-3 with a bowl win) might be more challenging than many expect.

http://www.startribune.com/how-much-...ame/503392762/

Go Gophers!!
    I'd call it a realistic goal, not a realistic expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    I'd call it a realistic goal, not a realistic expectation.
    I think expectation is fair. If we beat Georgia tech, it would be a one game improvement after hearing "youngest team in the country" all year. 9-10 would be a reasonable goal.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    I think expectation is fair. If we beat Georgia tech, it would be a one game improvement after hearing "youngest team in the country" all year. 9-10 would be a reasonable goal.
    I don't have a strong belief that we will win 8 games.
    South Dakota St - W, confidence level 95%
    @Fresno - W, confidence level 65%
    Georgia Southern - W, confidence level 75%
    @Purdue - W, confidence level 50%
    Illinois - W, confidence level 65%
    Nebraska - L, confidence level 60%
    @Rutgers - W, confidence level 90%
    Maryland - W, confidence level 50%
    PSU - L, confidence level 65%
    @Iowa - L, confidence level 65%
    @NW - L, confidence level 60%
    Wisconsin - W, confidence level 50%

I guess I got us winning 8, but 3 of those wins are toss up games to me, so I can't say I strongly believe we will get there next year. I guess if you include a bowl game the odds of 8 of course are better, probably would have close to a 50% confidence in winning any bowl game matchup.

Iíd say expectation, for sure. If the Gophers donít win 8 next season it will not simply be a disappointment, it will be a failure. It is (past) time to stop tamping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

I don't have a strong belief that we will win 8 games.
    @NW - L, confidence level 60%

I guess I got us winning 8, but 3 of those wins are toss up games to me, so I can't say I strongly believe we will get there next year. I guess if you include a bowl game the odds of 8 of course are better, probably would have close to a 50% confidence in winning any bowl game matchup.
    The next step is to win a game or two that we arenít supposed to, such as PSU.

Yeah after looking at the schedule and some rosters some more, I'm expecting 8 wins. I expect a win against NW, they lose quite a bit on defense, and Nagel and Thorson on offense plus three lineman. I felt like we were outplaying them this year, but turnovers did us in.

@NW - W, confidence level 55%

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    The next step is to win a game or two that we aren’t supposed to, such as PSU.
    PSU could be very winnable, depends how their new QB performs.

Blog Entries

The non conference games are no cakewalk.

Even though San Jose State graduates 8 offensive starters, this game is on the road and will command the full attention of all phases of the Gopher's game.

Southern Georgia is coming off of a big season, as is SDSU, who's players will come in looking to "play up".
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

Maybe I'm just optimistic to hope that by year three, we can exceed Brewster's year 2 by one win.

I think people do expect the Gophers to improve. But how much will they improve? How much will the other teams improve? That's the real question. People focus on the Gophers' personnel and they expect the young players to get better. Well, the other teams have young players, and they expect them to get better too.

Will the Gophers' young players improve more, or faster, than the other teams' young players?

bottom line - I could come up with a scenario where the Gophers win 8 games or 9 games. But, I would not bet my retirement account on it.

I would gladly bet your retirement account on it, if you would let me.

Iím really excited for next seasonís and schedule.
    I expect the offense and defense to improve but I am worried about the kicking game.
    I think going undefeated at home should be reasonable and I would love to see the team perform .500 on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    The non conference games are no cakewalk.

Even though San Jose State graduates 8 offensive starters, this game is on the road and will command the full attention of all phases of the Gopher's game.

Southern Georgia is coming off of a big season, as is SDSU, who's players will come in looking to "play up".
    Fresno State you mean. At least Fresno will be breaking in a new QB and they also lose there top WRs, they should be stout on defense, but I don't fear their offense as much next year. The southern georgia game is worrisome, their qb Shai Werts could cause issues for us. I think how we perform in the GT bowl game will be a good indicator for how we might perform against teams like Georgia Southern next year, as well as Maryland and Illinois to some degree, as we were gashed by being undisciplined in the run game against them this year.

Blog Entries

Fresno State you mean. At least Fresno will be breaking in a new QB and they also lose there top WRs, they should be stout on defense, but I don't fear their offense as much next year. The southern georgia game is worrisome, their qb Shai Werts could cause issues for us. I think how we perform in the GT bowl game will be a good indicator for how we might perform against teams like Georgia Southern next year, as well as Maryland and Illinois to some degree, as we were gashed by being undisciplined in the run game against them this year.
    Yes, Fresno... thank you.
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkingMyTailOff View Post
    I’m really excited for next season’s and schedule.
    I expect the offense and defense to improve but I am worried about the kicking game.
    I think going undefeated at home should be reasonable and I would love to see the team perform .500 on the road.
    Undefeated at home would have us beating Nebraska, PSU, Maryland, and Wisconsin. I wouldn't call that reasonable.