STrib: 8 wins in 2019 should be a realistic expectation with talent Gophers return

BleedGopher

Reaction score

per Johnson:

Final word: Johnson

Eight wins in 2019 should be a realistic expectation with the talent the Gophers return, though the nonconference schedule of South Dakota State (10-3 and an FCS semifinalist), Fresno State (12-2 with a bowl win) and Georgia Southern (10-3 with a bowl win) might be more challenging than many expect.

http://www.startribune.com/how-much-of-an-edge-do-teams-get-by-making-it-to-a-bowl-game/503392762/

Go Gophers!!

I'd call it a realistic goal, not a realistic expectation.

I'd call it a realistic goal, not a realistic expectation.

I think expectation is fair. If we beat Georgia tech, it would be a one game improvement after hearing "youngest team in the country" all year. 9-10 would be a reasonable goal.

I think expectation is fair. If we beat Georgia tech, it would be a one game improvement after hearing "youngest team in the country" all year. 9-10 would be a reasonable goal.

I don't have a strong belief that we will win 8 games.
South Dakota St - W, confidence level 95%
@Fresno - W, confidence level 65%
Georgia Southern - W, confidence level 75%
@Purdue - W, confidence level 50%
Illinois - W, confidence level 65%
Nebraska - L, confidence level 60%
@Rutgers - W, confidence level 90%
Maryland - W, confidence level 50%
PSU - L, confidence level 65%
@Iowa - L, confidence level 65%
@NW - L, confidence level 60%
Wisconsin - W, confidence level 50%

I guess I got us winning 8, but 3 of those wins are toss up games to me, so I can't say I strongly believe we will get there next year. I guess if you include a bowl game the odds of 8 of course are better, probably would have close to a 50% confidence in winning any bowl game matchup.

I’d say expectation, for sure. If the Gophers don’t win 8 next season it will not simply be a disappointment, it will be a failure. It is (past) time to stop tamping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a strong belief that we will win 8 games.
@NW - L, confidence level 60%

I guess I got us winning 8, but 3 of those wins are toss up games to me, so I can't say I strongly believe we will get there next year. I guess if you include a bowl game the odds of 8 of course are better, probably would have close to a 50% confidence in winning any bowl game matchup.

The next step is to win a game or two that we aren’t supposed to, such as PSU.

Yeah after looking at the schedule and some rosters some more, I'm expecting 8 wins. I expect a win against NW, they lose quite a bit on defense, and Nagel and Thorson on offense plus three lineman. I felt like we were outplaying them this year, but turnovers did us in.

@NW - W, confidence level 55%

The non conference games are no cakewalk.

Even though San Jose State graduates 8 offensive starters, this game is on the road and will command the full attention of all phases of the Gopher's game.

Southern Georgia is coming off of a big season, as is SDSU, who's players will come in looking to "play up".

Maybe I'm just optimistic to hope that by year three, we can exceed Brewster's year 2 by one win.

I think people do expect the Gophers to improve. But how much will they improve? How much will the other teams improve? That's the real question. People focus on the Gophers' personnel and they expect the young players to get better. Well, the other teams have young players, and they expect them to get better too.

Will the Gophers' young players improve more, or faster, than the other teams' young players?

bottom line - I could come up with a scenario where the Gophers win 8 games or 9 games. But, I would not bet my retirement account on it.

I would gladly bet your retirement account on it, if you would let me.

I’m really excited for next season’s and schedule.
I expect the offense and defense to improve but I am worried about the kicking game.
I think going undefeated at home should be reasonable and I would love to see the team perform .500 on the road.

Even though San Jose State graduates 8 offensive starters, this game is on the road and will command the full attention of all phases of the Gopher's game.

Southern Georgia is coming off of a big season, as is SDSU, who's players will come in looking to "play up".

Fresno State you mean. At least Fresno will be breaking in a new QB and they also lose there top WRs, they should be stout on defense, but I don't fear their offense as much next year. The southern georgia game is worrisome, their qb Shai Werts could cause issues for us. I think how we perform in the GT bowl game will be a good indicator for how we might perform against teams like Georgia Southern next year, as well as Maryland and Illinois to some degree, as we were gashed by being undisciplined in the run game against them this year.

Fresno State you mean. At least Fresno will be breaking in a new QB and they also lose there top WRs, they should be stout on defense, but I don't fear their offense as much next year. The southern georgia game is worrisome, their qb Shai Werts could cause issues for us. I think how we perform in the GT bowl game will be a good indicator for how we might perform against teams like Georgia Southern next year, as well as Maryland and Illinois to some degree, as we were gashed by being undisciplined in the run game against them this year.

Yes, Fresno... thank you.

I’m really excited for next season’s and schedule.
I expect the offense and defense to improve but I am worried about the kicking game.
I think going undefeated at home should be reasonable and I would love to see the team perform .500 on the road.

Undefeated at home would have us beating Nebraska, PSU, Maryland, and Wisconsin. I wouldn't call that reasonable.

I'm glad we play South Dakota St in game one, we should be just as fired up as they are.

Undefeated at home would have us beating Nebraska, PSU, Maryland, and Wisconsin. I wouldn't call that reasonable.

You are correct. That is a reach to win every one of those games, but I want to see it happen.
This year the team was 5-2 at home.
I think next year is the first best shot at winning the West. Hopefully Johnson coming back to lead the receivers, more out of the TE position, Smith, Mo, and Brooks, improved O Line
Defensively Carter and the Senior linebackers, the secondary led by Williamson, Thomas, Williams, Durr and maybe Winfield Jr.
Let’s go!

Last edited:

My expectation is that 8 wins is the floor.

Agree. Gophs should be 8-4 right now. Next year the schedule is more favorable, Gophs will have impact players back from injuries, should return close to 80% of their starters, have very good depth coming off the bench, and another year in Fleck's systems. Anything less than eight regular season wins will be very disappointing IMO.

PSU could be very winnable, depends how their new QB performs.

I think the Gophers’ ceiling is reallly high next year, I can easily see 8-9 wins if they stay reasonably healthy.

But I don’t expect PSU to be one of those wins. PSU loses McSorley but they return almost the entire remaining roster. I expect them to be one of the best teams in the B1G next year. They will NOT exactly be rolling out a True FR walk on like the Gophers did this year. Their QB will be solid I’m sure

I think the Gophers will be a major competitor next year though.

Why do I think you have a bumper sticker that says this with a picture of Fleck?

I think PJ is doing a good job and has turned the corner. I expect the team to improve on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West coast flights kill Big Ten teams.

I think the Gophers’ ceiling is reallly high next year, I can easily see 8-9 wins if they stay reasonably healthy.

But I don’t expect PSU to be one of those wins. PSU loses McSorley but they return almost the entire remaining roster. I expect them to be one of the best teams in the B1G next year. They will NOT exactly be rolling out a True FR walk on like the Gophers did this year. Their QB will be solid I’m sure

I think the Gophers will be a major competitor next year though.

I dunno, they lost to Michigan St and struggled to beat Indiana and App St. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a drop off from McSorley, he was a very good player.

Couldn’t agree more. Great way of putting it. Goal, not an expectation.

Easiest crossover schedule one could ask for (they are never going to schedule IU, MD and RUT together, and the toughest one, PSU, is at home). Probably most favorable West home schedule one could ask for. No Power 5 team in OOC (kind of telling that they’re trying to pump up the Jackrabbits’ and Georgia Southern records). If this does not produce 8 regular season wins in the third year with experienced starters it is NOT good.

Easiest crossover schedule one could ask for (they are never going to schedule IU, MD and RUT together, and the toughest one, PSU, is at home). Probably most favorable West home schedule one could ask for. No Power 5 team in OOC (kind of telling that they’re trying to pump up the Jackrabbits’ and Georgia Southern records). If this does not produce 8 regular season wins in the third year with experienced starters it is NOT good.

Yes, with the experience they will have and a somewhat favorable schedule, 8 wins should be the expectation and the goal. 6 or fewer wins would be cause for concern.

I'm glad we play South Dakota St in game one, we should be just as fired up as they are.

It will be a good time to catch the Jacks, as they will be breaking in a new QB. The two best candidates are this year's backup who saw very limited action and a highly regarded redshirt freshman who has seen no game action. They also lose a FCS first team All-American CB who is expected to be drafted. But they do return a lot of starters on both sides of the ball. which hopefully will allow them to be competitive.

Hoping for 8-9 wins and an appearance in Tampa on January 1st, 2020

Top Bottom