STrib: 8 wins in 2019 should be a realistic expectation with talent Gophers return

The non conference games are no cakewalk.

Even though San Jose State graduates 8 offensive starters, this game is on the road and will command the full attention of all phases of the Gopher's game.

Southern Georgia is coming off of a big season, as is SDSU, who's players will come in looking to "play up".

SDSU would be a 6 point favorite vs GA So if played tomorrow on a nuetral field. They will be breaking in a new QB. If Jacks find a QB, get ready for a 4Q battle.

Last edited:

Couldn’t agree more. Great way of putting it. Goal, not an expectation.

Do you know what a Goal is?
Sure, the Gophers should set their goal for 8-wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easiest crossover schedule one could ask for (they are never going to schedule IU, MD and RUT together, and the toughest one, PSU, is at home). Probably most favorable West home schedule one could ask for. No Power 5 team in OOC (kind of telling that they’re trying to pump up the Jackrabbits’ and Georgia Southern records). If this does not produce 8 regular season wins in the third year with experienced starters it is NOT good.

No, they can't expect the perfect storm of absolute shear luck that Northwestern rode to the title game, that's for sure.

The schedule is tougher than it looks - the three non-cons are very good. Maybe six wins again unless Smith/Brooks bring a new dimension to the offense, and the defense doesn't get blown out four times. Ga Tech should provide some hints - Minnesota is much better than Houston but Army put up 70 on them with a triple option offense.

Do you know what a Goal is?
Sure, the Gophers should set their goal for 8-wins.

Expectation- a strong belief that something will happen.
Goal- the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.

I still think goal is a better word for 8 wins. As a gopher fan how can you possibly have a strong belief that we will win 8-9 games in the regular season?

SDSU would be a 6 point favorite vs GA So if played tomorrow on a nuetral field. They will be breaking in a new QB. If Jacks find a QB, get ready for a 4Q battle.

I highly doubt that.

I still think goal is a better word for 8 wins. As a gopher fan how can you possibly have a strong belief that we will win 8-9 games in the regular season?

Because I've been told repeatedly on this board that winning 9 games isn't a very impressive accomplishment, and that it was done a few years ago by someone who many seem to believe was a terrrible coach.

OK. I still don’t see how 8 wins would be the desired result for next year either.

Winning the Big Ten West should be one of their goals. If healthy, they should contend for it.
Another goal should be winning all of the Trophy Games.
If Shannon Brooks stays healthy all season and doesn't fumble, I would say the below is a reasonable goal.

I like to break the season into quarters.

South Dakota St
@Fresno
Georgia Southern

Hopefully 3-0

@Purdue
Illinois
Nebraska

Hopefully 2-1

@Rutgers
Maryland
PSU

Hopefully 2-1

@Iowa
@NW
Wisconsin

Hopefully 2-1

That would be 9-3.
The 2nd and 4th quarters of the season being tough ones however, but a chance for the 3rd quarter to go 3-0.

But who knows, right? It could be 6-6 again.

Expectation for next year, the team will improve on this year. Since nobody has any idea how good or bad the other teams they play will be it make no sense to expect a certain number of wins next year; its illogical.

This time last year everyone thought Wisconsin had a solid shot to be in the playoffs in 2019 and Northwestern would be the typical Northwestern. Set goals as a reason to improve; set expectations based on what's in your control - playing smarter, running/passing the ball better, consistent play, getting stronger.

Expectation for next year, the team will improve on this year. Since nobody has any idea how good or bad the other teams they play will be it make no sense to expect a certain number of wins next year; its illogical.

This time last year everyone thought Wisconsin had a solid shot to be in the playoffs in 2019 and Northwestern would be the typical Northwestern. Set goals as a reason to improve; set expectations based on what's in your control - playing smarter, running/passing the ball better, consistent play, getting stronger.

And I think even the Wisconsin coach and players would tell you that they failed to meet their expectations. The fact that sometimes people fail to meet expectations doesn't mean you never set them.

For me it depends if we win our bowl and finish with 7 wins or not. If we do win this game then I would be happy with 8 wins and disappointed with 7 or less. There would be no middle ground of “content.”

If we loose he bowl game and finish 6-7 then I would be happy with 8 wins, 7 wins would be “meh” and 6 would be a disappointment.

All I really care about is winning more games than the previous year.

I’d say expectation, for sure. If the Gophers don’t win 8 next season it will not simply be a disappointment, it will be a failure. It is (past) time to stop tamping.

So if we loose the bowl game and finish 6-7, then improve our record next year to 7-6, it will be a “failure” just because it wasn’t 8 wins?

OK. I still don’t see how 8 wins would be the desired result for next year either.

Because you can go past your goal. 8 regular season wins is not undesirable next year.

I agree with just wanting to see continued improvement, strength of schedule is impossible to know so expected wins are tough to know at this point.

Regarding the goal vs expectation of 8 wins, for me 8 wins is my homer expectation meaning I’d like to think we can win 8 and would like to expect to win 8 although if I wasn’t a Minnesota fan but still knew as much about the program as I do now, I probably would not expect 8 wins.

To me 8 wins is my (unrealistic) expectation but at the same time my (overly realistic) goal if that makes any sense. In other words, I would not be that happy with less than 8 wins but at the same time I am not overly confident that it will be achieved. Too realistic to be a goal but not realistic to be an expectation.

Also, this is me speaking as a fan. If your a player I agree that your goal should be Pasadena.

Last edited:

It would not be the most desirable possible result but it would still be a desirable result.

My Goldie Pick-O-Meter says 6-9 wins trajectory. They have to proof that they are a changed team. In the preseason, they have to get past Fresno State and the other two nonconference games.

Then, they have to win at least two away Big Ten games against Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa, and NW. That is a tall order.

The key is how they do with home games against Illinois, Nebraska, PSU, Maryland, Wisconsin. If they can take two or three games out of this and even score an upset or two. I'd be impressed if they go two games in a row victorious against Wiscy.

I don't see then not going to a bowl game. It is a question whether they go to a Tidy Bowl or something nicer. The nonconference games Fresno State and Georgia Southern are no gimmees.

As mentioned, their schedule is a lot tougher than people think.

Last edited:

So we should have zero expectations. Got it.

Most the sconnie fans I know did not believe the rankings or hype. They knew the team was not as advertised.

My Goldie Pick-O-Meter says 6-9 wins trajectory. They have to proof that they are a changed team. In the preseason, they have to get past Fresno State and the other two nonconference games.

Then, they have to win at least two away Big Ten games against Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa, and NW. That is a tall order.

The key is how they do with home games against Illinois, Nebraska, PSU, Maryland, Wisconsin. If they can take two or three games out of this and even score an upset or two. I'd be impressed if they go two games in a row victorious against Wiscy.

I don't see then not going to a bowl game. It is a question whether they go to a Tidy Bowl or something nicer. The schedule is a lot tougher than people think. The nonconference games Fresno State and Georgia Southern are no gimmees.

As mentioned, their schedule is a lot tougher than people think.

OK, so a team that a vast majority of GHers polled think should be at least 8-4 right now should do worse than that next year? Gophs get key players back off injury, return around 80% starters, and have very good depth. I don't think posters think the 2019 schedule is easy, but it is more favorable than 2018.

Well, I am just saying they are within a realm of possibilities.

So if we loose the bowl game and finish 6-7, then improve our record next year to 7-6, it will be a “failure” just because it wasn’t 8 wins?

Yes. Whether we win or lose the bowl game this year, I will consider a 7-6 season next year to be a failure. I shouldn’t be surprised, but still am, that we have already started tamping for 2019.

Yes. Whether we win or lose the bowl game this year, I will consider a 7-6 season next year to be a failure. I shouldn’t be surprised, but still am, that we have already started tamping for 2019.

Yeah, a solid bowl win would be great...make me feel a little better about a season that should have been better...but shouldn't affect next year's expectations.

It still is funny that, to a specific set of posters, my on field/win expectations have been seen as too high, and my recruiting expectations have been seen as too low.

Top Bottom