AP: Players skip bowls while coaches have bonuses at stake

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

Dana Holgorsen can earn a $50,000 bonus if West Virginia beats Syracuse next week in the Camping World Bowl, a game the Mountaineers will play without star quarterback Will Grier and left tackle Yodny Cajuste.

Dave Doeren’s contract with North Carolina State calls for him to receive a $50,000 bonus if the Wolfpack beat Texas A&M in the Gator Bowl. N.C. State’s best players on either side of the ball (receiver Kelvin Harmon and linebacker Germaine Pratt) will not play.

Grier and Cajuste, Harmon and Pratt are part of a growing trend in college football. At least 20 players are planning to skip their teams’ bowl games and focus instead on getting ready for the NFL. The importance of non-playoff postseason games depends on who you ask and changes from player to player and team to team. But for many coaches, winning a bowl game has a set value.

Six coaches who have players sitting out bowl games this year have nearly $400,000 in total bonuses at stake in those games. Arizona State’s Herm Edwards would have earned the largest bonus in the group, $166,667 for winning the Las Vegas Bowl against Fresno State last week. The Sun Devils lost 31-20, playing without star receiver N’Keal Harry. The junior is a possible first-round draft pick who led the team with 73 catches for 1,088 yards and nine touchdowns.

Like Doeren and Holgorsen, Minnesota coach PJ Fleck and Memphis coach Mike Norvell can each earn $50,000 bonuses for winning their bowl games.

Fleck’s Gophers face Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 26 on Detroit without linebacker Blake Cashman, the team’s leading tackler, and offensive tackle Donnell Greene. Norvell’s Tigers play Wake Forest in the Birmingham Bowl on Saturday without All-America running back Darrell Henderson.

https://www.timesenterprise.com/spo...cle_68e66e17-b98c-51aa-9d83-c2b68ee5cbcb.html

Go Gophers!!

So, roughly 1.5% of salary, likely less when total compensation accounted for. It’s not a great incentive considering the coaches are under zero financial pressure if minimially financually responsible. The players OTOH have enormous financial pressure and incentive to skip the bowls.

A drop in the bucket for these coaches. No story here.

So, roughly 1.5% of salary, likely less when total compensation accounted for. It’s not a great incentive considering the coaches are under zero financial pressure if minimially financually responsible. The players OTOH have enormous financial pressure and incentive to skip the bowls.

Bingo, sorry coaches.

Glad our coach cares more about what is best for the kids than what is best for himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad our coach cares more about what is best for the kids than what is best for himself.

He did take a pay cut to come here...so not surprising[emoji12]

Last edited:

How will these coaches make ends meet?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Every football player who has an opportunity of a lifetime to make it in the NFL have to decide if they want to risk injuries. They have everything to lose. That is fair. The coaches get contract extensions and bonuses if their team does well on account of the players that got them the victories.

So, I have to respect Blake Cashman and Donnell Greene in particular who are on the fringes of being drafted. Good luck and more power to them. Thank you for the memories!

IMHO, I think Jared Weyler may end up in the NFL too.

Maybe the coaches should give players a percentage of the bonus.

Another pointless article posted by Bleed to stir the pot.

Another pointless article posted by Bleed to stir the pot.
Bleed has no agenda. He posts everything he sees out there which is kind of nice because then I don't have to search it all out. Don't kill the messenger.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

P5 football programs will be paying college football players, likely sometime by the next decade. That's when the court cases will finally run their course (appeals, etc.)

Latest on the Alston vs NCAA case that is going to be the one that forced the NCAA to allow pay for play:
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/18/17872150/alston-ncaa-case-what-is-it
https://247sports.com/Article/Colle...lston-Power-Five-commissioner-lose-123677835/

THEN, college players might actually have a decent financial incentive to stay and play the bowl game. But even in that case, will it be worth it risking the NFL draft signing bonuses, contracts, NFL careers over an injury? Probably a lot will forgo the bowl game paycheck, still.

Top Bottom