The Stat Guy Is a Homer

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Sometime late in the first half. Murphy has 8 rebounds. Gophers have the ball.

Kalscheur has the ball out on the wing. Starts a drive. Tosses up a floater from about 12-15 feet out. The shot is blocked right as it is leaving his hand. Ball pops up and backward toward half court. Murphy grabs it.

Bam. Murph's rebound total flips to 9 on the board.

That's a rebound??

Murph goes for 30 and 16 and that’s your take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murph goes for 30 and 16 and that’s your take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol maybe the stat guy realized he missed one last time down the floor and he was a little late putting it up! Are you saying he's such a homer that you think he only went for 25 points and 10 boards? Hilarious!

Kalscheur has the ball out on the wing. Starts a drive. Tosses up a floater from about 12-15 feet out. The shot is blocked right as it is leaving his hand. Ball pops up and backward toward half court. Murphy grabs it.

That's a rebound??

Can't tell if this is serious or not?

Why the hell would it not be a rebound? Gabe is credited with missing a shot. The missed shot goes to Murphy. So, yes, it is a rebound. How could you think it wouldn't be?

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm??

Didn't think you could get a rebound when the ball doesn't even get within 12 feet of the rim. I'm surprised.

So...when you say a shot was taken and blocked, that getting the ball after isn't a rebound?

Go home, you're drunk.

I play daily fantasy sports, where stats are all that matter. What you described is a rebound on every single site. A rebound happens after a shot is attempted. Where the ball ends up after a shot attempt doesn't matter. Whether it clangs off the rim or goes into the air off Dikembe Mutombo's finger, the guy who secures it gets a board.

Last edited:

Didn't think you could get a rebound when the ball doesn't even get within 12 feet of the rim. I'm surprised.

I read a few basketball websites to check, and from everything I can tell, this should count as a rebound. Caught and controlled a missed shot = rebound.

Also - unrelated to this discussion but interesting - if you tip a rebound to a teammate, the person that tips the ball gets credit for the rebound, not the person that catches it.

A blocked shot turns into a rebound. Good thread though.

...Also - unrelated to this discussion but interesting - if you tip a rebound to a teammate, the person that tips the ball gets credit for the rebound, not the person that catches it.

I think an official scorer has some discretion in that call depending on whether the tip is "controlled" or "uncontrolled". The tipper has to demonstrate control of the ball before getting credit for a rebound.

one of the main rules of basketball stats - the # of rebounds should equal the # of missed shots. doesn't matter how the shot was missed - a missed shot must result in a rebound. it could be an individual rebound, or a team rebound. (i.e. Gophers miss a shot, ball hits a Gopher in the leg and goes out of bounds. That is a team rebound for the other team.)

In fact, if you're really a stickler for the rules, if a player is shooting a 2-shot foul and misses the first shot, his team is credited with a dead-ball rebound - because there is supposed to be a rebound for every missed shot - even the front end of a 2-shot foul.

That's a rebound??

Hey Bruce - is this thread going the way you anticipated?

Top Bottom