Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Should economy airline seats reclne?

I am just back from a long trip to Asia. One of my pet peeves about flying is when the person in front of me reclines. It intrudes on my space and screws up the angle of the viewing screen. Moreover, I have to endure it or recline my seat and bug the person behind me. I don't really think it provides much benefit to the recliner but it certainly affects those behind.

I suspect the very tall enjoy this feature but my anecdotal analysis doesn't seem to see this feature used mainly by tall people. On my flight the woman in front of me was about 5'6". I asked her to put it back up because the guy behind me was about 6'2" and built like a barrel. I felt if I reclined, he wouldn't have been able to breathe (he also hadn't reclined his seat).

Thoughts? I wish they disabled the recline function in economy class, it is a holdover from when they had reasonable space between rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnipegopher View Post
    I am just back from a long trip to Asia. One of my pet peeves about flying is when the person in front of me reclines. It intrudes on my space and screws up the angle of the viewing screen. Moreover, I have to endure it or recline my seat and bug the person behind me. I don't really think it provides much benefit to the recliner but it certainly affects those behind.

I suspect the very tall enjoy this feature but my anecdotal analysis doesn't seem to see this feature used mainly by tall people. On my flight the woman in front of me was about 5'6". I asked her to put it back up because the guy behind me was about 6'2" and built like a barrel. I felt if I reclined, he wouldn't have been able to breathe (he also hadn't reclined his seat).

Thoughts? I wish they disabled the recline function in economy class, it is a holdover from when they had reasonable space between rows.
    You can’t sleep in a non-reclined position without head bobbing. I flew last week in the emergency row with non-reclining seats. It sucks.

And I don’t care if people in front of me recline. I do hate when passengers behind me kick and move my seat non-stop though.

Blog Entries

If your flight is less than 2 hours you shouldn't recline as a common courtesy. But I agree it's needed for longer flights.

This is just a detail. The bigger picture is that, there's just no way to jam that many people into that small a space without everybody being in somebody's space in some way. Madness!

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    If your flight is less than 2 hours you shouldn't recline as a common courtesy. But I agree it's needed for longer flights.
    Howdy Doo Doo. Sad. Not surprised youíd think that you commie. Purchasing the ticket is entering into a contract. Itís what you negotiated. Want to negotiate better? Read, Art of the Deal. Great book just like the Bible!!

The issue shouldn't be with the reclining seats the issue should be with the number of people they jam on the planes, the small seats, the small room between rows etc. The seats aren't designed well for even average size people (i'm 5'10" and hover around 200 lbs now...) and I feel the seats are too small for me and even my knees hit the seat in front of me. Luckily my wife is 5'4" and 130 lbs so I always have someone small sitting next to me on at least one side.

Flying is such a weird industry, they really have you by the balls. They treat 97% of their customers like sh!t but we keep coming back. I'd really like to see an airline in the US actually cater to customer experience and see what happens. Provide bigger nicer seats throughout the plane, provide more legroom throughout the plane etc. Let them charge more and see what happens, I think they would do just fine.

Back to the original question (sorry you can tell this is a sore subject for me) I think on flights up to maybe 3-4 hours having non reclining seats would be just fine. But on longer flights or international flights I do think they are needed because it is really hard to sleep without the little recline as KGF noted.
    Who hates iowa?

I'd be totally fine with them not reclining. As a courtesy I almost never recline my seat out of respect for the person behind me. I fly a lot of 1-hr flights though. On my longer flights, I splurge usually and get a more expensive ticket. First Class on Sun Country is remarkably cheap if you buy at the right time.
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    You canít sleep in a non-reclined position without head bobbing. I flew last week in the emergency row with non-reclining seats. It sucks.

And I donít care if people in front of me recline. I do hate when passengers behind me kick and move my seat non-stop though.
    This one does not require a PhD.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnipegopher View Post

I believe someone reclining in front of you doesnít bother you therefore you shouldnít complain or worry about it!

Real talk? You have no idea what bothers others, mind your own damn business. Seats recline....deal with it or charter a plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sportsfan24; 12-22-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I seldom fly coach but if I do all I ask is if the person in front is going to recline, please give give me a heads up so that Iím not cut in half by my tray! No? Then I will ďstrategicallyĒ bump your seat every time it looks like youíre about to doze off! Iím petty like that.

Side note: what may be a two hour flight for you could be a 2 hour SECOND leg for someone else 12 hour flight.

Last edited by Sportsfan24; 12-22-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    The issue shouldn't be with the reclining seats the issue should be with the number of people they jam on the planes, the small seats, the small room between rows etc. The seats aren't designed well for even average size people (i'm 5'10" and hover around 200 lbs now...) and I feel the seats are too small for me and even my knees hit the seat in front of me. Luckily my wife is 5'4" and 130 lbs so I always have someone small sitting next to me on at least one side.

Flying is such a weird industry, they really have you by the balls. They treat 97% of their customers like sh!t but we keep coming back. I'd really like to see an airline in the US actually cater to customer experience and see what happens. Provide bigger nicer seats throughout the plane, provide more legroom throughout the plane etc. Let them charge more and see what happens, I think they would do just fine.

Back to the original question (sorry you can tell this is a sore subject for me) I think on flights up to maybe 3-4 hours having non reclining seats would be just fine. But on longer flights or international flights I do think they are needed because it is really hard to sleep without the little recline as KGF noted.
    Damn dude. Youíre fat.

If the seats recline, then you can recline. If people don't like it, too bad. Don't blame the people who recline for making you uncomfortable. Blame the airline.

Airplanes arenít flying beds. Recline your chair more than a minimal amount into my lap and you will notice I accidentally bump my tray an awful lot. Common courtesy. Nobody behind you or a small child? Recline away. Otherwise show some respect for a fellow human being. Itís not that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    Airplanes aren’t flying beds. Recline your chair more than a minimal amount into my lap and you will notice I accidentally bump my tray an awful lot. Common courtesy. Nobody behind you or a small child? Recline away. Otherwise show some respect for a fellow human being. It’s not that difficult.
    I’m with 0723. They make them that way to be used, so it shouldn’t be considered disrespectful to use it. I’ve never objected to a person in front of me reclining. Bouncing in their seat while my drink is on the tray...yes.

What’s disrespectful is someone putting both of their carry-ons overhead, so they don’t have to stick one under their seat to limit their foot space while late boarding passengers struggle to find space for one of their carry-ons. That’s disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    You canít sleep in a non-reclined position without head bobbing. I flew last week in the emergency row with non-reclining seats. It sucks.

And I donít care if people in front of me recline. I do hate when passengers behind me kick and move my seat non-stop though.
    Airplane pillows (shaped like a U) will hold your head in place in an upright position. The question is comfort? They work great for me.