Eric Curry expectations

Block M

Reaction score
Is Curry expected to play tomorrow? Does anyone have any idea where he is at in terms of his fitness? He has been away for SO long there have been times where I've nearly forgotten he is a member of the team.

Our team is unusual in the sense that I think we have unrealized upside for THIS SEASON; however, its hard to know how much upside there is until we know more about Curry's status. I know that Fitz really never came back from his knee surgeries and I certainly hope that is not the case here. EC has had such an uphill climb since the injury I am really pulling for him. Hope to see him tomorrow.

I seen on twitter he is labeled a game time decision for tomorrow night. I think marcus fuller shared a short video of him practicing with the starters

here is the presser from today

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E3hTCxopf44" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Get some PT, add some depth and stay healthy the rest of the season. If he can do that, Curry should be solid next season.

With each game he misses, my expectations shrink. Getting to the point I don’t think it’d be fair to expect much out of EC this season. Perhaps even beyond this season?

Would be a real pick-me-up to see him dressed tomorrow, but no longer expecting it to be soon.

Anything short of the Heisman is unacceptable :p

I have no clue what to expect. I remember him being a good, not great, freshman. Looking at ESPN, he was 5.5 pts and 5.2 rebounds. I'm guessing that he's spent most of his time rehabbing versus developing, so I actually have fairly modest expectations especially at first.

Stay healthy and get better are my only hopes.

Anything short of the Heisman is unacceptable :p

I have no clue what to expect. I remember him being a good, not great, freshman. Looking at ESPN, he was 5.5 pts and 5.2 rebounds. I'm guessing that he's spent most of his time rehabbing versus developing, so I actually have fairly modest expectations especially at first.

Stay healthy and get better are my only hopes.

I tend to agree most gopher fans have him overinflated in terms of production. However, I don’t think honk you can put numbers on the value front court depth could bring to the gophers considering our propensity to get ourselves in foul trouble

He knows how to move the ball. Very good passer and was an improving shooter. Wishing EC the best and it sucks we won’t see him at his best this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With each game he misses, my expectations shrink. Getting to the point I don’t think it’d be fair to expect much out of EC this season. Perhaps even beyond this season?

Would be a real pick-me-up to see him dressed tomorrow, but no longer expecting it to be soon.

If he does not come back to pre-injury form then this program really is cursed. I share your concern.

here is the presser from today

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E3hTCxopf44" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I took from the press conference that Curry is expected to play at some point, no glaring body language from a Pitino that there is a problem.

If he does not come back to pre-injury form then this program really is cursed. I share your concern.

I don't think it is realistic to think that with a 1 1/2 year recovery timeframe he will ever be back to the level he was pre injury, look at Fitzpatrick, he wasn't even close.

I took from the press conference that Curry is expected to play at some point, no glaring body language from a Pitino that there is a problem.

If he's doing some practicing with contact this early in the season, then it would be pretty shocking if he didn't play this year. I expect him to play at some point and probably within the next few games, though he will likely start with limited minutes.

I don't think it is realistic to think that with a 1 1/2 year recovery timeframe he will ever be back to the level he was pre injury, look at Fitzpatrick, he wasn't even close.

Assuming you mean Fitzgerald? Didn't he tear his ACL 3 times? Not sure those two are really comparable. He also only played one season with us, so how do we know he wasn't even close to his old self? He scored more efficiently for us than he did in either of his two seasons at Texas A&M.

Curry may or may not fully recover, but I disagree that it's unrealistic. I bet he starts slow and looks pretty good by the end of the season.

I have confidence he will be back at 100%, just not this season. It takes a long time, not to just come back and play, but to get confidence and stamina and mentally get over the hurdles. I think he will be VERY rusty when he returns tonight or whenever he returns.. we will see glimpses of the old Curry. As the season moves along, hopefully that gets better and better, but I don't see him at full strength/speed until next season.

I just checked and was surprised to see that Davonte is having a pretty nice season for SFA, averaging 13 and 5

I have confidence he will be back at 100%, just not this season. It takes a long time, not to just come back and play, but to get confidence and stamina and mentally get over the hurdles. I think he will be VERY rusty when he returns tonight or whenever he returns.. we will see glimpses of the old Curry. As the season moves along, hopefully that gets better and better, but I don't see him at full strength/speed until next season.

Agree. The medical staff is very cautious these days. Pitino even said that he “is allowed” so many minutes of contact and so many minutes of non contact in practice. In the old days they just asked the player if he was ready to play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get some PT, add some depth and stay healthy the rest of the season. If he can do that, Curry should be solid next season.

This is what I expect. Sadly, the team needs much more than that from him to achieve their goals but that's not his fault.

I just checked and was surprised to see that Davonte is having a pretty nice season for SFA, averaging 13 and 5

Yes, and his minutes have increased as the season has progressed. Early in the season he was playing minutes in the high teens or low twenties. In the last three games, he's played over 30 minutes a game and played 40 minutes in an overtime loss to LA Tech. In that game he had 32 points. His player efficiency rating (PER) this year is a quite good 18.5 (for reference, only Murphy and Oturu exceed that on our team).

Fitzgerald is another rebuttal example to those on this site claiming that Pitino is a great developer of players. People will say "oh well, he's playing for a lower level team." While that may be true, the same can be said for Rider and Ahmad Gilbert is only averaging 8.6 minutes per game for them.

Yes, and his minutes have increased as the season has progressed. Early in the season he was playing minutes in the high teens or low twenties. In the last three games, he's played over 30 minutes a game and played 40 minutes in an overtime loss to LA Tech. In that game he had 32 points. His player efficiency rating (PER) this year is a quite good 18.5 (for reference, only Murphy and Oturu exceed that on our team).

Fitzgerald is another rebuttal example to those on this site claiming that Pitino is a great developer of players. People will say "oh well, he's playing for a lower level team." While that may be true, the same can be said for Rider and Ahmad Gilbert is only averaging 8.6 minutes per game for them.

That's not a real good example. Well... if it is, I am now really angry that Pitino has not developed Eric Curry over the past year.

I don’t get your point. Fitzgerald was not getting any player time at the U for reasons we don’t really know. But that doesn’t mean the he didn’t improve under Pitino, maybe just not enough in the right areas to play.

In the last presser Pitino seemed to show that he may get impatient with some players. He said that it is really pretty simple for a player to know what to do, it is just a matter of them doing it. It is obvious that he has improved the game of several players, but he may get frustrated when a player doesn’t put in the effort to do the right things.

My expectation is that Eric is back to full speed by Christmas...2019. Honestly, I feel like that's the best we can expect.

That's not a real good example. Well... if it is, I am now really angry that Pitino has not developed Eric Curry over the past year.

B.S. Fitzgerald was considered healthy enough to play before the start of last season. Players like Springs (and the coach himself) expressed confidence that he would be a significant contributor and be able to compensate for the deficit of the injured Curry but, with a few game exceptions, he was never able to fulfill those expectations. He just became another player who fell short of expectations under Pitino.

He's more than fulfilling expectations with his new team so the change of scenery seems to have had a positive effect. For every player who has thrived under Pitino, there are at least two who he has failed to develop adequately and/or failed to employ effectively.

Fitzgerald was not very good last year

Of course he's going to be rusty and it's going to take some time. He did play 20 minutes vs. Creigton 2 months ago... So it's not like he hasn't touched a ball in 2 years.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ared-yet-to-play-in-his-first-game/503253831/

For stretches of Thursday’s practice, Eric Curry looked like his old self. The Gophers’ versatile 6-9 redshirt sophomore threw down a dunk in a post-up drill, nailed a jump hook over 7-foot Matz Stockman and scored on a baseline spin on Jordan Murphy in a 5-on-5 session.

Curry, who hasn’t played this season while recovering from knee surgery this fall, shined in moments, but he also slowed down a bit as the practice went on. He eventually needed to sit out.

Despite still clearly trying to get comfortable moving with a metal brace on his left knee, Curry seems closer to making his season debut. Gophers coach Richard Pitino said he will be a game-time decision for Friday’s game against North Carolina A&T.

Last edited:

In the last presser Pitino seemed to show that he may get impatient with some players. He said that it is really pretty simple for a player to know what to do, it is just a matter of them doing it. It is obvious that he has improved the game of several players, but he may get frustrated when a player doesn’t put in the effort to do the right things.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people will always choose to be apologists for multi-million dollar coaches in a way they would never be for ordinary teachers or professors. In an average university class of 30, you might have between 5 and 10 people who can be counted on to do all of the things they are supposed to do without significant instructor interventions and/or systems designed to keep their progress on track. Yet, if an ordinary instructor or professor said "60% of the class normally gets D or F grades because they aren't motivated enough" most people would find that attitude appalling.

B.S. Fitzgerald was considered healthy enough to play before the start of last season. Players like Springs (and the coach himself) expressed confidence that he would be a significant contributor and be able to compensate for the deficit of the injured Curry but, with a few game exceptions, he was never able to fulfill those expectations. He just became another player who fell short of expectations under Pitino.

He's more than fulfilling expectations with his new team so the change of scenery seems to have had a positive effect. For every player who has thrived under Pitino, there are at least two who he has failed to develop adequately and/or failed to employ effectively.

Give me a break, he had back to back acl tears and struggled so much with his lateral quickness that big ten offenses isolated him on high post defense. But sure, blame Pitino for his weak knees immediately after all those surgeries over 2 years.

Give me a break, he had back to back acl tears and struggled so much with his lateral quickness that big ten offenses isolated him on high post defense. But sure, blame Pitino for his weak knees immediately after all those surgeries over 2 years.

Well, he sure healed quickly in one year.

Top Bottom