Fleck: We want 2-3 scholarships available to hit, possibly, the ‘free-agent market'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Well on his way to assembling a second consecutive top-40 national recruiting class, Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck on Wednesday shifted roles a bit and put on a would-be NFL general manager’s hat.

“We wanted to make sure we kept two or three scholarships available to hit, possibly, the ‘free-agent market,’ which has now dripped into college football,” Fleck said on the opening of college football’s early signing period.

The coach announced the signings of 23 new players, including 21 who will be on scholarship for the 2019 season.

With those extra two or three scholarships in his back pocket, Fleck might do some shopping. He and his assistants will hit the recruiting trail again in January, with a chance to bolster the class in time for the Feb. 6 traditional signing date.

Fleck referred to the new national database that allows athletes to submit their names and desire to transfer, allowing coaches from other schools to contact them.

“That’s going to be a big step in college football, to have January for those things,” Fleck said.

He also said the Gophers could use the open scholarships to sign one to three more high school recruits.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...e-top-40-football-recruiting-class/503178001/

Go Gophers!!

those cheap Gophers never spend big money on free agents.

Or is that the Twins. I get confused easily.

The coach announced the signings of 23 new players, including 21 who will be on scholarship for the 2019 season.

Then two of them didn't sign anything, did they?? *shaking my head*

They could sign an unofficial "I intend to walk on" piece of paper, right?

"What is this??!"

"That's as good as money, sir. Those are I.O.U.'s. Go ahead and add it up, every cent's accounted for. Look, see this? That's a car. 275 thou. Might wanna hang onto that one!"

I actually REALLY like the idea of stashing 2-3 scholarships for last-minute sniping purposes. I don't know if they did this deliberately or are just spinning it in such a fashion but I think in real practice it's the way to go. These days especially rosters are getting fully in late January and players are jumping in front of players, leaving them with depth concerns or possibly even issues with scholarship openings at all. Leaving a couple of openings in your back pocket is a great way to try and snipe those late signees or just stash them for the future. I'd rather we left a spot open than we reached and grabbed a 2.5 star player to give us more bodies at practice. We get to be ultra picky right now and if the right player isn't there, let's just sit back and let it play out.

I actually REALLY like the idea of stashing 2-3 scholarships for last-minute sniping purposes. I don't know if they did this deliberately or are just spinning it in such a fashion but I think in real practice it's the way to go. These days especially rosters are getting fully in late January and players are jumping in front of players, leaving them with depth concerns or possibly even issues with scholarship openings at all. Leaving a couple of openings in your back pocket is a great way to try and snipe those late signees or just stash them for the future. I'd rather we left a spot open than we reached and grabbed a 2.5 star player to give us more bodies at practice. We get to be ultra picky right now and if the right player isn't there, let's just sit back and let it play out.
Yes. It’s a smart strategy.

PJ had said for some time he was keeping a couple open for down the road.
I would guess this could mean currently unsigned players or transfers.

PJ had said for some time he was keeping a couple open for down the road.
I would guess this could mean currently unsigned players or transfers.

He kind of made it sound like he learned from last year to save a few more, like he wish he could’ve taken a few guys last year but ran out of spots.

OK, so for example ... Demariyon Houston, or more to my point, Oklahoma.

Hasn't the dust more or less settled, by now? How much longer is it going to take Oklahoma to figure out if it needs/wants to offer Houston a scholly? Is there going to be a lot of movement from where they stand now until Feb? It wouldn't seem like it to me, but maybe who knows? More transfers from the program announced after the bowl/CFP games are done? Or maybe potential transfers into OU?

Hookfin makes no sense. Seems like either Texas or Baylor would be no brainers for him, from Sugar Land. Took OV's to both, has offers from both. What else is he waiting for?

Hasn't the dust more or less settled, by now? How much longer is it going to take Oklahoma to figure out if it needs/wants to offer Houston a scholly? Is there going to be a lot of movement from where they stand now until Feb? It wouldn't seem like it to me, but maybe who knows? More transfers from the program announced after the bowl/CFP games are done? Or maybe potential transfers into OU?

Hookfin makes no sense. Seems like either Texas or Baylor would be no brainers for him, from Sugar Land. Took OV's to both, has offers from both. What else is he waiting for?

When it seems like there may be more to the story, there always is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are waiting to sign with the gophers in Feb... P.j. seems like every moves he makes is calculated... With those players (and many more still waiting) I think/hope we will be celebrating something amazing come the first week of February

Waiting for what? To qualify? If Texas, Baylor, or Oklahoma ran out of room you would think the Gophers have as good a chance as any.

Popping any two on mkAz's list would be a bonus to an already awesome class for the Gophers. My top two are Williams and Hookfin.

So, with Hookfin ............... he waited around a couple days .... because ......... why? He was hoping a bigger program ... than Texas ... was going offer?

Yeah, sometimes, it is a blessing when some of these characters choose not to come here.

That statement was loaded with sarcasm. But I do believe we get 1 off that list

Won't be Hookfin, and I very much doubt K Williams now that he has the Oregon offer. Houston I believe is waiting for OU. Barlow just won a Texas state championship and was named MVP, he probably thinks he should be playing for A&M, Texas, LSU, or OU.

AJ, now that seems possible. I guess he's waiting to see who wins the Quicklane Bowl??

Won't be Hookfin, and I very much doubt K Williams now that he has the Oregon offer. Houston I believe is waiting for OU. Barlow just won a Texas state championship and was named MVP, he probably thinks he should be playing for A&M, Texas, LSU, or OU.

AJ, now that seems possible. I guess he's waiting to see who wins the Quicklane Bowl??

We already have Aaron Witt committed and offers to other defensive ends rated higher than Johnson. If the Gophers could somehow grab Barlow, that's a no-brainer. Otherwise, I like the idea of just focusing on 2020. Ideally, P.J. adds a grad transfer who makes a big contribution and then leaves, saving the scholarship for 2020.

Anthony Johnson doesn't have an offer.

Also if OU gets 5 star WR Jalen Hazelwood who most think they will, then an offer to Houston would be unlikely and we would have as good a chance as any.

Also the Oregon offer to Williams doesn't worry me too much, more afraid of the Tennessee visit and other possible offers. I don't think Williams will be a duck.

Anthony Johnson doesn't have an offer.

Also if OU gets 5 star WR Jalen Hazelwood who most think they will, then an offer to Houston would be unlikely and we would have as good a chance as any.

Also the Oregon offer to Williams doesn't worry me too much, more afraid of the Tennessee visit and other possible offers. I don't think Williams will be a duck.

Looks like Houston picked up a PSU offer.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom