Minnesota International Players Bond Over Distance

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://womenshoopsworld.com/2018/12/07/minnesotas-international-players-bond-over-distance/

An article from a couple of weeks ago featuring Kaposi, Perez and Tomancova.

Thousands of miles from her hometown in Hungary, Kaposi has made a decision that many can understand, but few can fully appreciate. Kaposi is one of three international players on Minnesota’s team that decided to forgo the comforts of home for a chance to improve their skills on the court.

For Kaposi, her decision two years ago to leave her hometown of Pecs to become a Gopher was not an easy one, but something she had always dreamed of doing.

“I always wanted to play at the college level and experience the whole thing that is going on in the U.S. – the support, the games, the NCAA Tournament, all the great things we hear about overseas,” she said.

Kaposi first received attention from U.S. colleges around 2015, but didn’t feel ready to come to the states right away.

Kaposi eventually decided to become a Gopher, saying the school’s highly-ranked academics, along with their facilities and her relationship with then-head coach Marlene Stollings, convinced her to play there. She quickly became close with Jessie Edwards, a senior on the team who had come from Australia.

“When I first came here (Jessie) definitely helped me, and we were closer together because we were internationals,” she said. “And now I feel like we still have that bond because Irene joined us last year and Barbora just came here this year.”

Senior Irene Garrido Perez is from Granada, Spain, and freshman Barbora Tomancova is from Brno, Czech Republic. Since 2010 there have been eight international players on Minnesota’s squad.

(Two, Paloma Gonzalez and Houlfat Mahouchiza, left the team in the past two years. Gonzalez left the team last year midway through her first season, while Mahouchiza signed a National Letter of Intent and was with the team but left in mid-to-late August.)

Top Bottom