Dunlap Jr to start bowl game

WinLoseOrTy

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Plot Twist.... he's starting at QB because all the QBs are suspended.

BEEFY QB TIME!

And before anybody wildly speculates whether that means Andries has anything to do with suspensions, let me remind you of this...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've stated here before that the OL I hope to see next year is (L-R): Andries, Olson, Schmitz, Dunlap, Faalele. I hope we see the same thing in the bowl game, with the exception of Weyler still starting, to be replaced by Schmitz beginning in the spring.

Nice! A peek at the future, hopefully.

Gotta think Andries goes to LT, and Schlueter will continue to be the OL6/TE thing ... for this game.

Don't think that will continue in spring ball, but we'll see.

I've stated here before that the OL I hope to see next year is (L-R): Andries, Olson, Schmitz, Dunlap, Faalele. I hope we see the same thing in the bowl game, with the exception of Weyler still starting, to be replaced by Schmitz beginning in the spring.

Would not be a bad thing at all ... but why do you want Andries at LT instead of a guard position, when we have many, many tackle prospects on the roster? (And that's not even mentioning Schluter, who will only be a redshirt junior and previous starter at tackle)

Sounds like the coaches are pretty high on him. If he's not the answer at center, I could see Olson maybe sliding over.

It’s exciting to think of the depth and options the team will have at OLine in 2019 compared to 2017.
Dickson or Andries at left tackle
Schmitz or Olson at center...

Last edited:

And before anybody wildly speculates whether that means Andries has anything to do with suspensions, let me remind you of this...

I'd "go out on a limb" and predict that you will never see Blaise Andries in trouble.

I would be ecstatic with this lineup for Game 1 next fall. Fingers crossed...

Totally agree!!!

I would be ecstatic with this lineup for Game 1 next fall. Fingers crossed...

It will depend on who is better -Jason Dickson or Schmitz. If the staff feels Dickson is one of the top 5 o-linemen, the lineup probably looks like this:

LT: Dickson
LG: Andries
C: Olson
RG: Dunlap
RT: Faalele

It will depend on who is better -Jason Dickson or Schmitz. If the staff feels Dickson is one of the top 5 o-linemen, the lineup probably looks like this:

LT: Dickson
LG: Andries
RG: Dunlap
RT: Faalele

Why move Andries?

Just curious.

Why move Andries?

Just curious.

I’m sure it’d be good keeping him at RG too and putting Dunlap on the left. But would be cool to have the two IMG giants bulldozing on the right side!

Why move Andries?

Just curious.

You’re right, it probably makes more sense to keep Andries on the right side. But like a different poster stated, it feels like destiny that Dunlap and Faalele will play next to each other.

How many regular season games did Dunlap play?

Why move Andries?

Just curious.

http://forum.walterfootball.com/for...-s-the-difference-between-the-two-guard-spots

3. RIGHT GUARD

Without question the most difficult of the interior line positions, right guards are most likely to be left one-on-one with an elite inside rusher. The predominance of teams to slide their center to the left to protect the quarterback's blind side creates a greater value for the right guard position. Fourteen-year veteran Todd Steussie, currently available on the free agent market, says, "Right guard is definitely harder than left guard." Recently-retired lineman Todd Fordham, a 10-year NFL vet, agreed: "The left guard always has help."

Though the difference in value between the two guard spots is lessened somewhat in an offense that rarely slides the pass protections like the Colts, the strength of the formation often dictates that the right guard has the wider alignment, and thus more difficult assignment, on his side.

4. LEFT GUARD
Because the left guard position is generally less difficult than the right guard position, I have been consistently perplexed the last couple of seasons by the amount of money teams are investing in the position.

Steve Hutchinson, Kris Dielman, Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery and Faneca lead the parade of left guards that have received contracts in excess of $40 million. Though I am not sure either guard position is worth that much of the salary cap, I would be much more willing to pay those dollars to a right guard given the greater difficulty in his assignment. I think the Browns got a relative steal by signing right guard Rex Hadnot to a two-year, $7 million deal this offseason.

The greatest reason why left guards are cashing in these days? There are two: 1) The grading system for offensive linemen; and 2) General lack of understanding among some NFL personnel people concerning the difficulty inherent with the different positions.

All of these players are considered upper echelon and likely grade out among the highest linemen on their respective teams. Part of that is because they are good players, but a lot of it has to do with the fact they are much more likely to receive help from the center and thus less likely to create a negative play. The formula is simple: Less one-on-ones against defensive linemen means less chances to give up a sack or pressure. Their consistently high performance given the lower risk at the position tricks many personnel people to assume they are worthy of that money. I disagree. I believe they are all outstanding players but think they would have a tougher time if they played right guard.

There is a reason why most of the interior guys getting paid the big money are left guards and not right guards and the sooner teams can figure it out, the sooner they can begin to allocate more of their money to a position that creates a greater value proposition.

It makes the assumption that the center is sliding to the left. Which might be fair if you assume you want the blind side (left for a right handed QB) to have more protection.

But if the defense is putting its 3-technique DT to the right side, it's better to slide the center towards that side.

LT Faalele
LG Dunlap
C Olson
RG Andries
RT Dickson

OK, so wouldn't you want the guy with more experience on the right then? Andries hardly seems like a slouch.

I never said Andries was a slouch. It may not be as much about experience as it is physical attributes according to the article.

There was a lot more chatter in that link than what I posted. It went a lot deeper than the previous beliefs I had that left side was typically your better pass blockers (blind side) and were the more athletic pulling guards compared to the right side being the road grading run blockers.

How good is Big Dan's footwork in pass protection? Unless his footwork is on point, not sure if he is who I want protecting the blind side.

Faalele did not appear ready this year to be on the left side. While generally a capable pass blocker, he was repeatedly vulnerable to an outside speed rush.

He may eventually be able to play LT. But I doubt if it will be next year, unless it's to fill a void due to injury.

I would guess Andries will be at LT for the bowl game.

Next year:

T: Dickson, Faalele
G: Andries, Dunlap

OR, if Schmitz is as good of a center as Scout thought (#8 C in nation coming out of high school, even though he played LT his junior and senior years), -- or if Dickson is unable to get things together academically -- Schmitz at C, Olson remains at G, and Andries goes to LT.

JTG

per Randy:

Dunlap to start

Fleck said true freshman guard Curtis Dunlap Jr. will start in the Quick Lane Bowl. Dunlap has played in three games, so participating in the bowl game won’t cost him a year of eligibility. Dunlap would join fellow freshman and former IMG Academy teammate Daniel Faalele as a starter on the Gophers offensive line.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...uld-be-a-four-way-race-next-season/503178851/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom