View Poll Results: What grade would you give the Gophers 2019 football recruiting class?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    24 17.02%
  • B

    104 73.76%
  • C

    7 4.96%
  • D

    0 0%
  • F

    0 0%
  • I'll vote once Kristian Williams decides

    6 4.26%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 96
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,287
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    By that standard an A would be basically impossible for us to obtain because the chances of out recruiting Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State is next to zero most years.
    This is the thinking PJ Fleck is trying to overcome. It’s not a forgone conclusion. Good, not great class. We’ve improved recruiting, but not by as much as we need to.

    Lots of excuses being tossed out as to why we can’t expect better. The total disaster of a DC hire is the biggest reason we didn’t win more this year, and probably last year.

    Fleck was hired to dramatically change our recruiting results. He’s improved them, but not enough. Good classes to build from. It needs to be better. This class, claimed to be equal to last year is great, except the schools around us last year improved, so by being equal this is less talent relative to the competition. Given fluctuations and bias in the recruiting rankings, how we do relative to the big ten is more important to me as we look to adopt Fleck’s model of winning by having better recruits than the opposition.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

    People are renewing. - Mark Coyle


  2. #32

    Default

    B right now.

    Would be an A if we can get both Williams and Houston to sign.

    B+ if only Williams, A- if only Houston.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OddStack View Post
    Yep. Also a question....why are people so pleased when we lost ground with this class on paper?
    It is a slight step back from last year, but right now I am grading y comparing to Gopher classes from the fairly recent past. I get that relative to the B1G the improvement is much smaller than the spots gained in rankings. I also believe that classes consistently in the 35-45 range are plenty talent wise to work with to get this program to the next level of success, which in turn should move to classes consistently in the 25-35 range.

    All depends on elevating winning, though. Can't continue to be around .500 and expect to be able to pull in classes in that 35-45 range.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    You guys can keep railing on me but look where we are in the B1G. Average, C is average. You guys want and accept average, that's fine I don't. You know what they say about the common man.
    So you grade solely on how the class compares to the rest of the conference? So if every Big10 team finished in the top 20, but we were 8th you’d still grade it a C?

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    This is the thinking PJ Fleck is trying to overcome. It’s not a forgone conclusion. Good, not great class. We’ve improved recruiting, but not by as much as we need to.

    Lots of excuses being tossed out as to why we can’t expect better. The total disaster of a DC hire is the biggest reason we didn’t win more this year, and probably last year.

    Fleck was hired to dramatically change our recruiting results. He’s improved them, but not enough. Good classes to build from. It needs to be better. This class, claimed to be equal to last year is great, except the schools around us last year improved, so by being equal this is less talent relative to the competition. Given fluctuations and bias in the recruiting rankings, how we do relative to the big ten is more important to me as we look to adopt Fleck’s model of winning by having better recruits than the opposition.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do you know we haven’t improved recruiting enough at this point?

  6. #36

    Default

    As an outside observer, I would give Fleck a solid B. He has Minnesota in good shape because there are two young QBs already on campus. Also, it's not really a level playing field in recruiting. Then there can also be luck involved. Purdue has a very good recruiting class, but I wonder how much lower it would be without George Karlaftis? Brohm would have to be a major screw up to not pull him into the class (from the Athletic:

    When George Karlaftis says he lives close to Purdue, he’s sort of underselling it.

    The five-star defensive end’s home in West Lafayette, Ind., is a mile north of campus, but it feels more like just a couple blocks. His mom Amy says the drive over to Ross-Ade Stadium takes two minutes.

    Karlaftis did not make his commitment to Purdue in the fall of 2017 purely out of convenience. Growing up, Purdue has long been a constant. Amy Karlaftis graduated from Purdue, and so did all four of her siblings. Her parents were big enough fans of the school that their youngest son’s middle name is Purdue. She works for their company, which owns and manages rental properties all over campus.

    And now her oldest son gets to carry on their proud tradition in an immense way.

    “There’s nothing like playing for your hometown,” George Karlaftis told The Athletic. “To feel like a hometown hero is pretty cool.”

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    4,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OddStack View Post
    Yep. Also a question....why are people so pleased when we lost ground with this class on paper?
    Lost ground based on what? I'm not saying you're wrong, asking what metric you're using so I don't say something pointless

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,143
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthkid View Post
    Lost ground based on what? I'm not saying you're wrong, asking what metric you're using so I don't say something pointless
    Last year 7th in B1G and 2nd in B1G West.
    This year 8th in B1G and 4th in B1G West.

    On paper the gap increased in talent and didn't decrease. Obviously, things can still change until Feb.
    JohnnyBoy18: "I just want all three entirely new staffs to get their credit and thanks." --11/29/2017

  9. #39

    Default

    Michigan, OSU, PSU, and Nebraska are the only BIG10 teams that finish in the top 30 most years. We are right there with the rest of the conference.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    249

    Default

    The class filled need on the defensive side of the ball, or at least appears to addrsss it. I’m excited to see the additions on offense, and another year of growth from the OL and QBs. The future is bright.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Robbinsdale, MN
    Posts
    2,028

    Default

    B seems about right.

    I think I've seen at times threads about how an earlier year's class performed down the line. If most of these stay with the program the full 4-5 years and graduate, then I'd guess looking back at that (future) time might grade it higher.

    We're still at a level where we need to coach-up whoever wears Maroon and Anthracite...so it's in Coach's hands at this time.

  12. #42

    Default

    There are some real winners on here.

    A couple facts from the last 12 classes of recruits.

    1.
    Over the last 12 years, 13 different Big Ten teams have tried to out-recruit Ohio State. That's 156 different classes.
    So far 1 out of those 156 classes ranked higher than Ohio State. Currently it's Michigan's 2019 class so it's too early to say.

    2.
    The only time a team other than PSU, Michigan, or OSU was in the Top 3 of Big Ten classes was years when PSU or Michigan had unusually low classes.
    2015 - Michigan 37th
    2013 - Penn St 33rd
    2012 - Penn State 47th
    2011 - Penn State 31st
    2010 - Ohio State 18th (worst class of the 12 years)
    2008 - Penn State 40th

    Those three averaged in those 12 years
    OSU 6th in the nation
    Michigan 14th in the nation
    PSU 22nd in the nation

    3.
    During those 12 years, there have been 168 different recruiting classes.
    32 of those 168 were Top 20 classes.
    OSU had 12
    Michigan had 9
    Penn State had 7

    All other Big Ten Teams: 4 MSU 2 (2010, 2016), Nebraska 1 (2011), Maryland 1 (2017)
    By this measure, of being in the top 3 to have an A, no teams have had an A recruiting class except for those 4 classes.
    Last edited by Face The Facts; 12-19-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    How do you know we haven’t improved recruiting enough at this point?
    He just knows.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    There are some real winners on here.

    A couple facts from the last 12 classes of recruits.

    1.
    Over the last 12 years, 13 different Big Ten teams have tried to out-recruit Ohio State. That's 156 different classes.
    So far 1 out of those 156 classes ranked higher than Ohio State. Currently it's Michigan's 2019 class so it's too early to say.

    2.
    The only time a team other than PSU, Michigan, or OSU was in the Top 3 of Big Ten classes was years when PSU or Michigan had unusually low classes.
    2015 - Michigan 37th
    2013 - Penn St 33rd
    2012 - Penn State 47th
    2011 - Penn State 31st
    2010 - Ohio State 18th (worst class of the 12 years)
    2008 - Penn State 40th

    Those three averaged in those 12 years
    OSU 6th in the nation
    Michigan 14th in the nation
    PSU 22nd in the nation

    3.
    During those 12 years, there have been 168 different recruiting classes.
    32 of those 168 were Top 20 classes.
    OSU had 12
    Michigan had 9
    Penn State had 7

    All other Big Ten Teams: 4 MSU 2 (2010, 2016), Nebraska 1 (2011), Maryland 1 (2017)
    By this measure, of being in the top 3 to have an A, no teams have had an A recruiting class except for those 4 classes.
    Thanks for this post.

  15. #45

    Default

    In the years these teams won the Big Ten, this is what their average class rankings were:

    For 2018, 2017, 2016, 2014, Big Ten was won by OSU or PSU with very highly recruited classes.

    For the years lower ranked classes won:

    2015 MSU
    Average of last 4 classes: 30th

    2013 MSU
    Average of last 4 classes: 30th

    2012 Wisconsin
    Average of last 4 classes: 49th

    2011 Wisconsin
    Average of last 4 classes: 42nd

    2010 Wisconsin
    Average of last 4 classes: 39th

    2010 MSU
    Average of last 4 classes: 33rd

    2009 OSU
    Average of last 4 classes: 28th

    2008 OSU
    Average of last 4 classes: 45th

    2008 PSU
    Average of last 4 classes: 27th

    2007 OSU
    Average of last 4 classes: 56th

    Older than this the data really starts to get more incomplete.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •