View Poll Results: What grade would you give the Gophers 2019 football recruiting class?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

24 17.02%
  • B

104 73.76%
  • C

7 4.96%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
  • I'll vote once Kristian Williams decides

6 4.26%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default What grade would you give the Gophers 2019 football recruiting class?

What grade would you give the Gophers 2019 football recruiting class?

A is for top 25 right now. Gave it a B. If Williams signs, B+

For me 20's or better = A, 30's = B, 40's = C, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    A is for top 25 right now. Gave it a B. If Williams signs, B+
    Sounds about right.

Blog Entries

Undecided...I'll wait.

Last year 2nd in B1G West. This year 4th. Without Willams...not good.
    JohnnyBoy18: "I just want all three entirely new staffs to get their credit and thanks." --11/29/2017

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GopherHole Staff View Post
    What grade would you give the Gophers 2019 football recruiting class?
    I asked Fleck this question this morning and he said "equal"

Blog Entries

Same for me as several above... I voted B, but would afford a B+ if Williams comes home. Needs were addressed for the most part.

Anything much higher than that is going to need solid results on the field to entice a top 20 class.
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

Quote Originally Posted by OddStack View Post
    Undecided...I'll wait.

Last year 2nd in B1G West. This year 4th. Without Willams...not good.
    If we were 7th in the B1G West, 14th in the B1G overall and 15th in the country...would you still say not good?

I gave it a B, i tend to look mainly at just the upper half of the class as those are the players that are most likely to be contributors on the team and one thing we seem to be doing will is improving the middle of our class. The ceiling isn't much higher and the bottom is vaguely similar but it's the middle to me where you start actually changing the quality of the class.

B(+). Very strong class. Get into the 20s and better and it would be an A. I expect that will happen in the future. For now, it's still looking like a better than average class and I think it will pay off on gameday. Good job overall.
    You guys are playing like this is some throw away game up in Rochester.

C. Our expectations have fallen so low after years of horrible teams. This is a very average recruiting class for a B1G team. It's good for us, but if we want to compete for B1G championships and national titles well we'll need to do better.
    Who hates iowa?

12. Default

Given the Gophers were 5-7 last year and 6-6 this year and still got this talented of a group is impressive to me. Plus, positions of need were addressed very well with this 2019 group. I give them an A based on those parameters. Seems like Top 25 ranked teams frequently get Top 25 recruiting classes but I feel like Minnesota, who is not a Top 40 ranked team, outperformed this recruiting cycle.

B. Solid class but nowhere neer A level

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGopher12 View Post
    Given the Gophers were 5-7 last year and 6-6 this year and still got this talented of a group is impressive to me. Plus, positions of need were addressed very well with this 2019 group. I give them an A based on those parameters. Seems like Top 25 ranked teams frequently get Top 25 recruiting classes but I feel like Minnesota, who is not a Top 40 ranked team, outperformed this recruiting cycle.
    For some high 3 star and lower 4 star, I feel it's easier to get them w/o great success. Coaches have the ability to point to early and lots of playing time when they come in (I don't like this tactic b/c it can be disingenuous, but they do it), and some of these types of kids want to play right away, have never sat the bench, and realize that is likely what'll happen at places with success. If/when we get to that point, it'll be interesting to see how well we recruit. Will it increase, stay the same, or decline a bit. Hopefully, we get to find out.
    JohnnyBoy18: "I just want all three entirely new staffs to get their credit and thanks." --11/29/2017

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    C. Our expectations have fallen so low after years of horrible teams. This is a very average recruiting class for a B1G team. It's good for us, but if we want to compete for B1G championships and national titles well we'll need to do better.
    I do agree that things will need to continue to tick up for us to become a true contender but there is a definite difference between the classes Fleck is bringing in vs. many of the classes we have seen around here for quite some time. The biggest thing I have noticed is that most of our recruits have other power 5 offers some even from helmet schools.

Is was a very common trend with Mason and Kill to see us really target the under the radar/under recruited players. I don't know where to pull offer lists on previous players but I recall a common theme where we were often the best offer a kid had during those years and we rarely beat out other power 5 programs for players.

That has definitely changed over these past few years. We are getting guys that other Big Ten schools also want, which to me is far more important then the star ratings next to the players name.

I am not a fan of rating recruiting classes before the kids have a chance to get on campus and show what they can do, but I would give this class a B on paper. Definite room to continue improving but I like what I am seeing over these first few classes of the Fleck era.