All Things 2019 Recruiting Class Signing Day Thread!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Shama: Fleck: U Recruiting Class ‘Historic’

“National Signing Day, it’s a very historic day for us,” Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck said in video footage shown this morning on the Big Ten Network. “We’re looking to sign…recruiting classes that are arguably the greatest recruiting classes back-to-back in Minnesota history (Internet era).

“Coaches get a lot of credit when you win. … At the end of the day this is a players’ game. And we’ve got to find the best players and the best people that match our culture, match our university, match our state, and match this program as we continue to move forward.”

Because of technology and the fan interest in college football, recruiting rankings have become a phenomena of the new millennium. 247 reported the Gophers’ classes of 2017, 2016 and 2015 ranked No. 59, 46 and 63 nationally.

As of today Minnesota has the No. 8 class in the Big Ten, per 247. West Division rivals Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin rank higher but GopherIllustrated.com authority Ryan Burns thinks Minnesota’s class compares favorably, if not better. “I would put the offer list that Minnesota has for their commits versus any team in the Big Ten West (Division), and I think Minnesota would win,” Burns told Sports Headliners several days ago.

The Gophers have two four-star recruits, per 247Sports. They are Memphis defensive tackle Kristian Williams and Ellenwood, Georgia defensive tackle Rashad Cheney. Williams’ FBS offers included LSU and Mississippi, while Cheney turned down Alabama and Georgia.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

No. Numbers aren’t determined until before fall practice. Seniority determines what choices the players can use. Quite a few current players started out with different numbers as Freshman and Sophomores.
Shouldn't be too big of a problem. After all, Mickey Mantle started out his stellar HOF career with the Yankees wearing #6.

He mentions Logan Richter as a DG on BTN

Hmm, whenever I've done the embed I get an error file is too large, so i gave up

EDIT: I see, I have to manually put in the tags instead of just click insert image. Insert image I got file too large.

I just uncheck the box under the url field and I have no problems.

So was Damarion Williams not going to be admitted? Or Carriere-Wiliams?

Strange that we hosted 3 JUCO corners a week ago and end up with none of them, then get a signing day surprise by a recruit who has never been here.

He walked on. That's all there is to know.

Who really knows these days what anyone really is, though? There are now an entire rainbow of shirts, in addition to plain old walkons.

I can’t wait until all these BS rules are gone. Coaches dancing around this 25 number like Russian ballerinas. They’re all just trying to cheat the numbers as much as they can get away with.

So was Damarion Williams not going to be admitted? Or Carriere-Wiliams?

Strange that we hosted 3 JUCO corners a week ago and end up with none of them, then get a signing day surprise by a recruit who has never been here.

Not that it’s not strange ... but coaches out on the recruiting trails all network with each other. This coach says “hey man, you should check out this kid. We’re full, but someone should take him” etc.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who really knows these days what anyone really is, though? There are now an entire rainbow of shirts, in addition to plain old walkons.

I can’t wait until all these BS rules are gone. Coaches dancing around this 25 number like Russian ballerinas. They’re all just trying to cheat the numbers as much as they can get away with.

I admit, I'm confused by it all too. It's not really cheating though - just playing within the confines of a complicated system. It's frustrating as a fan because it's hard to follow though.

Burns says 23 signees? Simple mistake? Should he have just said "... 13 of the signees today..."?

Otherwise, if taken literally, it means Udoibok and Cooper signed scholarships for 2019 class, right??

just playing within the confines of a complicated system.

Why did it need to be this complicated in the first place, though? What problem was solved by putting a cap on 25 signed players per class, when there was already a max of 85?

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Why did it need to be this complicated in the first place, though? <b>What problem was solved by putting a cap on 25 signed players per class, </b>when there was already a max of 85?

The over-signing problem that became SOP for many SEC schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The over-signing problem

There can only be 85 players on scholarship at the start of any given season. I'm failing to see how there could possibly be a problem. But leave it to the SEC, I'm sure they screwed it up royally.

There can only be 85 players on scholarship at the start of any given season. I'm failing to see how there could possibly be a problem. But leave it to the SEC, I'm sure they screwed it up royally.

Someone else might be able to give more detail, but in a nutshell, some schools were signing 30,31 kids when there wasn’t that many openings to stay under 85. This forced them then to send some kids packing - often kids from that recent signing class. The 25 cap was put in place for the benefit of the recruits.

Bleed... thanks for all of your work. You are one of the major reasons that many of us read GH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone else might be able to give more detail, but in a nutshell, some schools were signing 30,31 kids when there wasn’t that many openings to stay under 85. This forced them then to send some kids packing - often kids from that recent signing class. The 25 cap was put in place for the benefit of the recruits.

If the rule was that you could never have more than 85 students at any time (rather than once the season starts) then you still wouldn't be able to over-sign. It would solve that problem while still allowing teams that have experienced a high attrition rate get back up to 85 scholarship kids. I suppose then another problem might be schools signing 35 kids a year and making room for them by running off their under performing upper classmen each year.

If the rule was that you could never have more than 85 students at any time (rather than once the season starts) then you still wouldn't be able to over-sign. It would solve that problem while still allowing teams that have experienced a high attrition rate get back up to 85 scholarship kids. I suppose then another problem might be schools signing 35 kids a year and making room for them by running off their under performing upper classmen each year.

That’s what they were doing.

Bleed... thanks for all of your work. You are one of the major reasons that many of us read GH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More importantly he has information pertaining to the thread or new information that is worth reading to start a new thread. Thanks Bleed.

Ohio st Michigan Penn st Nebraska and Wisconsin looks like they are bringing in some talent this class

Top Bottom