All Things 2019 Recruiting Class Signing Day Thread!

If the rule was that you could never have more than 85 students at any time (rather than once the season starts) then you still wouldn't be able to over-sign. It would solve that problem while still allowing teams that have experienced a high attrition rate get back up to 85 scholarship kids. I suppose then another problem might be schools signing 35 kids a year and making room for them by running off their under performing upper classmen each year.

The B1G clamps down on over signing much more than the SEC (the major violators).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More importantly he has information pertaining to the thread or new information that is worth reading to start a new thread. Thanks Bleed.

Unlike your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the rule was that you could never have more than 85 students at any time (rather than once the season starts) then you still wouldn't be able to over-sign. It would solve that problem while still allowing teams that have experienced a high attrition rate get back up to 85 scholarship kids. I suppose then another problem might be schools signing 35 kids a year and making room for them by running off their under performing upper classmen each year.

Right. The problem was teams were doing that and/or pulling schollies from the immediate class at the last second. One year, I believe Miss St accepted commits from like 37 kids. Not sure how many were pulled away late or how many current players were sent away to make that work. The bottom line is the 25 yearly cap isn’t perfect, but it was put in place to protect the players.

My guess is Williams. Once he said he wasn't going to sign early they photo-shopped his image out.

I think as a tribute to one of the longest tenured media members in the country, they should have put El Sid's photo in that empty slot.

Right. The problem was teams were doing that and/or pulling schollies from the immediate class at the last second. One year, I believe Miss St accepted commits from like 37 kids. Not sure how many were pulled away late or how many current players were sent away to make that work. The bottom line is the 25 yearly cap isn’t perfect, but it was put in place to protect the players.

I believe it was Ole Miss but everything else you're saying is correct.

But that's no longer relevant, now that scholarships are guaranteed (ie, a scholarship can't be taken away for athletic reasons, only for breaking rules or being academically ineligible).

The rules should revert back to 85 max, simple as that. Coaches are just tap dancing around the 25 number every year anyway, with all these stupid color shirts and crap like that.

Would still be much simpler and much better to make each school simply stick to 85 slots. You can only take commitments from X players each winter/spring based on how many players are confirmed leaving the program at that time. As more leave (after spring ball, etc.) then you can add more later.

Would still be much simpler and much better to make each school simply stick to 85 slots. You can only take commitments from X players each winter/spring based on how many players are confirmed leaving the program at that time. As more leave (after spring ball, etc.) then you can add more later.

I’m not endorsing the current system - just answered the question on what problem the new system was trying to address.

The system will continue to evolve. I just learned yesterday that a rule was passed in June that now allows a walk-on to be given a scholarship w/o it counting toward the current year limit (25) after just 1 year in the program. Prior to that it was 2-years.

I’m not endorsing the current system - just answered the question on what problem the new system was trying to address.

The system will continue to evolve. I just learned yesterday that a rule was passed in June that now allows a walk-on to be given a scholarship w/o it counting toward the current year limit (25) after just 1 year in the program. Prior to that it was 2-years.

So that new rule is how ZA is going to be on Scholarship in January. He'll count towards the 85, but not towards any specific year.
Seems to me that rule would allow for more illegal activity as schools will tell kids to walk on for a year and then will be given a scholarship, thus allowing them to oversign in any year they want.

So that new rule is how ZA is going to be on Scholarship in January. He'll count towards the 85, but not towards any specific year.
Seems to me that rule would allow for more illegal activity as schools will tell kids to walk on for a year and then will be given a scholarship, thus allowing them to oversign in any year they want.

Yes.
I agree. Maybe that is what we did with ZA5?

Might be more to it, but that is what I got out of Ryan Burns’ latest podcast.

But that's no longer relevant, now that scholarships are guaranteed (ie, a scholarship can't be taken away for athletic reasons, only for breaking rules or being academically ineligible).

The rules should revert back to 85 max, simple as that. Coaches are just tap dancing around the 25 number every year anyway, with all these stupid color shirts and crap like that.

I don't think it's nearly as complicated for the coaches as you're making it out to be. They have staff members who keep track of the details. It may seem complex and obtuse for Joe Fan, but what does that matter?

I don't think it's nearly as complicated for the coaches as you're making it out to be. They have staff members who keep track of the details. It may seem complex and obtuse for Joe Fan, but what does that matter?

G4 wants to know everything about the program. :p

salzie i know we arent fans of Minnesotas rival to the south but saying they are going to slide is silly they are bringing in their best recruiting class they are not sliding.

Last edited:

Yes.
I agree. Maybe that is what we did with ZA5?

Might be more to it, but that is what I got out of Ryan Burns’ latest podcast.

We not only did that but we also gave his bro a scholarship.

I don't think Brock gets a scholarship last year if it weren't for ZA.

I don't think it's nearly as complicated for the coaches as you're making it out to be.

That was never a point I was making.

Of course, regardless how complex the system is, obviously our head coach is going to have people assisting him to make whatever the best decision he can make. That was, not at all the point.

That is great to hear! So highwayTroll thumping his chest loudly about how it was two years, is indeed wrong. Fancy that.

Howden and ZA both deserve schollys, and I'm glad we'll be able to give him this Jan without it counting towards 25 in any class.

And would also make you wonder, why any recruit would ever choose to gray shirt really .... unless the family truly can't afford to pay for it for the year. But especially for undergrads, there are a lot of grants that don't have to be paid back, if you qualify, via FAFSA.

That must be what the "Maroon Shirt" is. Now I get it. Yes, seems like a better deal to me than Gray Shirting.

You walk on as a PWO, and pay your own way the first year, then you get a scholly after that, because you don't count towards the 25 in any class.

That must be what the "Maroon Shirt" is. Now I get it. Yes, seems like a better deal to me than Gray Shirting.

You walk on as a PWO, and pay your own way the first year, then you get a scholly after that, because you don't count towards the 25 in any class.

All good until you have a season ending or career ending injury or aren't in the plans as the coach is let go during that year.

Top Bottom