Penny concluded his availability by saying, "Rick Barnes, get the (#^*@) out of here"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Penny concluded his availability by saying, "Rick Barnes, get the (#^*@) out of here"

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Probably wants to draw the attention away from the score of the game.

This reminds me of (now former) UNC football coach Larry Fedora's odd rant about how the U.S. military is going to be weaker because of the new rules to minimize concussions in football.

When your team isn't very good you have to get people talking about something else.

Penny seems like he's going to be one of those guys you either really love or really hate. I haven't decided which it is for me yet.

Lots of class ..and great upbringing to develop the ability to express yourself with vulgar language

Penny didn't start this. You got reporters asking him questions. When somebody talks trash about your team/players you must defend your players. Sometimes when the criticism is invalid and unnecessary and people keep poking the dog, you lose your cool a bit. Bottom line you must defend your players when somebody attacks them, which Barnes did. Barnes is the wingnut here.

Penny didn't start this. You got reporters asking him questions. When somebody talks trash about your team/players you must defend your players. Sometimes when the criticism is invalid and unnecessary and people keep poking the dog, you lose your cool a bit. Bottom line you must defend your players when somebody attacks them, which Barnes did. Barnes is the wingnut here.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Did you see the level of flops Memphis' players engaged in? It was straight up ridiculous.

I'm not advocating the fight or fists balled up aspect of events, but to pretend that Memphis has the high moral ground here (when their players were flopping around like fish out of water) is laughable.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Did you see the level of flops Memphis' players engaged in? It was straight up ridiculous.

I'm not advocating the fight or fists balled up aspect of events, but to pretend that Memphis has the high moral ground here (when their players were flopping around like fish out of water) is laughable.

Lol Yes, I agree. No, I had not seen the video. Now, I see what Barnes is doing....the refs are ridiculously bad...he can't call them out....so to get his point across he attacked Memphis. The problem is the refs....how in the world do you call charging from that. I had the head of the officials organization tell me: "WE (refs) will NEVER call charging unless the defender falls down." So, that's the why of flopping but the first charging even violated that unspoken rule.

In a way he did start this by having/allowing his player take such ridiculous flops. Someone says something and then it gets escalated into a pissing match. Penny has nothing to defend, he should have just diffused the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In a way he did start this by having/allowing his player take such ridiculous flops. Someone says something and then it gets escalated into a pissing match. Penny has nothing to defend, he should have just diffused the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree best course in this case, after seeing the video was diffusing it. The real problem is the referee who rewarded these ridiculous flops multiple times.

Lol Yes, I agree. No, I had not seen the video. Now, I see what Barnes is doing....the refs are ridiculously bad...he can't call them out....so to get his point across he attacked Memphis. The problem is the refs....how in the world do you call charging from that. I had the head of the officials organization tell me: "WE (refs) will NEVER call charging unless the defender falls down." So, that's the why of flopping but the first charging even violated that unspoken rule.
Personally, I think both the refs and the Memphis players are responsible. At the end of the day, it's up to the refs to stop it. But it was also a total clown show by Penny's players. In other words, both (refs and Memphis players) looked ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Loved Penny as a college player at Memphis State.

Disappointing that he's choosing the punk route as a coach. Very unbecoming.

Loved Penny as a college player at Memphis State.

Disappointing that he's choosing the punk route as a coach. Very unbecoming.

I wonder how long the act will last. Really poor judgment on his part. Worse flopping than even Puke in their hey day.

Did you order your B10 tourney tickets?

Not yet. Still confirming our group. Everyone is a little slow responding with the time of year. The ad said distribution is based on Gopher Score and not first come first serve, so I think we have some time.

Not yet. Still confirming our group. Everyone is a little slow responding with the time of year. The ad said distribution is based on Gopher Score and not first come first serve, so I think we have some time.

Yep, there's time.

Obviously, hoping to get lower level (selfishly, hoping Gopher fan turnout is low), but I really like those small sections between lower level & 2nd level that only have a few rows. Less crowded, and easy access to TV screens with other games going on around the country.

My favorite part was when Penny said his player had to talk trash in order to "protect himself"

My favorite part was when Penny said his player had to talk trash in order to "protect himself"
My favorite was Penny saying "flopping - that's not something that we teach, we don't even understand that term."

My favorite was Penny saying "flopping - that's not something that we teach, we don't even understand that term."

Ha yeah, that one was better, especially after watching the video.

He is a good coach for Memphis.
He is more electric in both good and bad ways than tubby. Most national publicity Memphis has had since Cal left.

Anfernee trying to bring NBA drama queen ways to the college game. Wouldn't be surprised if his team is involved in some sort of brawl in the next couple, few years.

Top Bottom