Chip: Masterful Marcus Sherels shows again just why he's still with Vikings after all

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The NFL’s most underappreciated player keeps getting the last laugh. Sherels is in his ninth NFL season, tied with Everson Griffen as the longest-tenured Viking. He has lasted nearly a decade because he remains one of the league’s most reliable punt returners and versatile special-teams players.

He showed his value again Sunday when he flipped field position with a 70-yard punt return at a tense moment in what became a 41-17 victory over Miami.

That marked Sherels’ 29th return of 20-plus yards since 2012, the most in the NFL in that span.

Sherels is the only active NFL player with at least 200 career punt returns and eight or fewer fumbles. He’s lost only two fumbles in 231 career returns. None since 2016.

That, more than anything, explains why he keeps a tight grip on his job.

“Turnovers are huge in the game as you can see around the league,” he said.

Returning punts isn’t a glamorous job. It requires looking skyward while 10 defenders make a full-throttle beeline to demolish you. Returners are either brave or wacko.

“I just try to go out there and make plays,” Sherels said.

http://www.startribune.com/marcus-s...l-with-vikings-after-all-this-time/502973551/

Go Gophers!!

Imo this may likely be his last year. He has carved out a spot for himself on special teams and punt returns but I think Zimm finds a suitable replacement with more speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imo this may likely be his last year. He has carved out a spot for himself on special teams and punt returns but I think Zimm finds a suitable replacement with more speed.

Comments like above continue to be posted. His ability to hang onto the ball, know when to let the ball bounce gives him an edge over the speedsters.

per Chip:

The NFL’s most underappreciated player keeps getting the last laugh. Sherels is in his ninth NFL season, tied with Everson Griffen as the longest-tenured Viking. He has lasted nearly a decade because he remains one of the league’s most reliable punt returners and versatile special-teams players.

He showed his value again Sunday when he flipped field position with a 70-yard punt return at a tense moment in what became a 41-17 victory over Miami.

That marked Sherels’ 29th return of 20-plus yards since 2012, the most in the NFL in that span.

Sherels is the only active NFL player with at least 200 career punt returns and eight or fewer fumbles. He’s lost only two fumbles in 231 career returns. None since 2016.

That, more than anything, explains why he keeps a tight grip on his job.

“Turnovers are huge in the game as you can see around the league,” he said.

Returning punts isn’t a glamorous job. It requires looking skyward while 10 defenders make a full-throttle beeline to demolish you. Returners are either brave or wacko.

“I just try to go out there and make plays,” Sherels said.

http://www.startribune.com/marcus-s...l-with-vikings-after-all-this-time/502973551/

Go Gophers!!
Hey Chip - As much as I appreciated MS, I really could care less about anything “Vikings”. Go find another sight. I am most concerned about our new recruits.

Hey Chip - As much as I appreciated MS, I really could care less about anything “Vikings”. Go find another sight. I am most concerned about our new recruits.

Oh.

Yet you decided not only to click in a thread that seemingly appears descriptive, but also took time to post in said thread.

Go Gophers!!

Oh.

Yet you decided not only to click in a thread that seemingly appears descriptive, but also took time to post in said thread.

Go Gophers!!

Stupid is as stupid does, sir. I like this “sight”.

Yeah find another sight!

I think this has been floated almost every year...

He has value way beyond punt returns. As has been pointed out, he is so good at his decision making when back there, people overlook him. Zim knows his value on and off the field. Would not be surprised one bit if Sherels is one of his favorite players. He is worth every penny Vikes pay him, and then some.

Every year he is supposedly on the bubble but he just keeps making plays.

I think this has been floated almost every year...

He has value way beyond punt returns. As has been pointed out, he is so good at his decision making when back there, people overlook him. Zim knows his value on and off the field. Would not be surprised one bit if Sherels is one of his favorite players. He is worth every penny Vikes pay him, and then some.

People may not notice....but he's also our best gunner. Not only does he gain us yards returning punts due to ability, but he also often keeps opposing punt returners from having an opportunity to return a punt. In a game where field position is so important, Sherels does things that the average armchair coach does not see. The ACTUAL coaches see it though....that's why he's carved out a nine year career as a special teams player.

Comments like above continue to be posted. His ability to hang onto the ball, know when to let the ball bounce gives him an edge over the speedsters.

Nothing against him but it's a fact of life that he's been in the league for a ling time and slower than he used to be. It was a question whether he would be on the team this year already.

Nothing against him but it's a fact of life that he's been in the league for a ling time and slower than he used to be. It was a question whether he would be on the team this year already.

Its been a question for like 5 years and yet, here we are.

People may not notice....but he's also our best gunner. Not only does he gain us yards returning punts due to ability, but he also often keeps opposing punt returners from having an opportunity to return a punt. In a game where field position is so important, Sherels does things that the average armchair coach does not see. The ACTUAL coaches see it though....that's why he's carved out a nine year career as a special teams player.

Correct...and he is seemingly always close to being in the returner's face on every kick.

Its been a question for like 5 years and yet, here we are.

Cb depth was the reason for increased questions this year then injuries happened. We'll see what happens next year.

Top Bottom