Video: Ridiculous flopping by Memphis this past weekend

BleedGopher

Reaction score
UU put this in the Matthew Hurt thread, but I figured it deserved its own. Clearly the Memphis staff is teaching this garbage:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Start giving warnings and then suspensions. It's one of the only things that will make me change the channel.

Hardaway bringing NBA tactics to the college game.

thx for posting. that's just junk basketball. $.01 should be ashamed.

thx for posting. that's just junk basketball. $.01 should be ashamed.

Those officials should be ashamed, too. That last one deserved not only a no-call but also a physical slap across the face of the flopper.

Those officials should be ashamed, too. That last one deserved not only a no-call but also a physical slap across the face of the flopper.

agreed. the official on the baseline calling that "charge" half a court away should be embarrassed.

College officials don’t get reprimanded. Every team should flop more to win. When Murphy turns and puts his shoulder into a chest, the guy should drop. Will get the charge call >50% of the time. Quick foul on Murphy and gophers unravel. Especially when on the road as the home crowd will be enthusiastically asking for that charge call

If there is any use for replay, it should be for this.

Just watched this Wow, that is Brad-Davison-level bad. The charge call has become a bit like offensive holding in football. There is almost always some contact on every drive in the lane, just like there is some level of holding. I generally hate the call. Let the guys play. Only the egregious charges should be called because of all this rediculous acting. Our own guys do it too, just not to the Davison levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This won't stop nor should it until they create an embellishment call for the flopping. Otherwise their is no reason to not do it sadly.

This won't stop nor should it until they create an embellishment call for the flopping. Otherwise their is no reason to not do it sadly.

It's flat out cheating... should be a technical foul, it would be gone from the game and quick.

Last edited:

NCAA badly in need of a Davison Rule. Game is a joke.

You guys are entirely wrong.

"As far as flopping, that’s not something that we teach. We don’t even understand that term ... "--Penny Hardaway

From an interview after the game.

Ref's are the worst as they keep falling for it.

It really bugs me that I’ve already seen several games slowed down because of this stupid new hook and hold rule, which is called inconsistently BTW, yet nothing has been done about the flopping epidemic that has gone on for years. Just dumb.

You play the game according to the rules the officials make up...not according to the rules of the game. If the referees are going to call charging repeatedly, you flop...those are rules that ref determined for that night. I didn't see the game but I bet the opponent got a charge Memphis disagreed with before they started.

Usually, referees are just bad....these guys were ridiculously bad. I mean how can you call charging on those????

It's flat out cheating... should be a technical foul, it would be gone from the game and quick.

It'd be a very subjective call and I don't know if you could make it a technical with one call. I agree I hate it as well and wish they'd create an embellishment call to start. You get two embellishment calls and it's a T. I agree that some other punitive action would get rid of it soon.

I’d only agree if the replay was the day after and a player has to sit out the next game if they are found to be flopping.

That's a terrible idea. It's 100% on the refs to call a flop or not. You shouldn't be able to retroactively punish a player because a ref was incompetent.

It'd be a very subjective call and I don't know if you could make it a technical with one call. I agree I hate it as well and wish they'd create an embellishment call to start. You get two embellishment calls and it's a T. I agree that some other punitive action would get rid of it soon.

Agree. It is much easier to call embellishment on the obvious cases like when the player throws his arms up earlier in the video. It would get the message across that the ref is on to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a terrible idea. It's 100% on the refs to call a flop or not. You shouldn't be able to retroactively punish a player because a ref was incompetent.

There are plenty of instances in sports where a missed infraction is punished after the fact through video replay.

It's not punishing players for ref incompetence, its punishing players for their own conduct.

Just watched this Wow, that is Brad-Davison-level bad. The charge call has become a bit like offensive holding in football. There is almost always some contact on every drive in the lane, just like there is some level of holding. I generally hate the call. Let the guys play. Only the egregious charges should be called because of all this rediculous acting. Our own guys do it too, just not to the Davison levels.

I challenge you to find 1 (one) Flop like that done by Davison..Just one. put up or shut up.

I challenge you to find 1 (one) Flop like that done by Davison..Just one. put up or shut up.

I'm sure Brad will improve his flopping so that he's eventually in the same league of flopping as these Memphis players. He's not there yet, but he's got time.

What he does still falls in the same general category of moves designed to draw a foul call: artfully slide into the path of a driving ball handler, forcing them to slow or stop in order to avoid contact, then perfectly timing a flop to simulate the appearance of a charge. It's like a dance move. It works best when the ball handler has a good head of steam and his head down, all the better to fake the appearance of him lowering his shoulder into the flopper.

You are right. Davison has never been this bad. Davison hasn't even been Duke flopping bad. But, Davison is a ball sack wacker as shown on tape. Perhaps he's practicing for the priesthood...[emoji848][emoji57][emoji33]

It's 100% on the player to not flop. A review that could punish them after the fact would be a major deterrent. Could only be used in extreme cases, but it would have worked very well in preventing or at least punishing actions like we saw in the Memphis case.

College refs love the pop they get when they make a charge call.

No.

Brad Davison hits grown men in the nether regions in basketball games. That should tell you everything you need to know about him.

No.

Brad Davison hits grown men in the nether regions in basketball games. That should tell you everything you need to know about him.

I'll challenge you too! Please provide some proof as to intent! If it was an accident as he has said. Why are you in a better position to know better than he or even his friend Joey hauser(The victim) who is not saying it was intentional.

Top Bottom