Tyler Johnson's Odds to Head to the NFL Draft?

I like TJ a lot. If I were a scout I would want to see him have more success with other parts of the route tree. He made a lot of his hay on the same simple slants and skinny post routes, where he dominated. Our pass O this year was like a kid playing Madden calling the same play 20 times a game.

With further development himself and with his QB they hopefully can run some other route concepts that can showcase his skills.

I don’t think he has the overwhelming physical ability to get drafted high without looking rather pro ready in a way he is capable of, but probably isn’t at yet.

Nominated for preposterous statement of the year.

How so?

What have you seen in his career to indicate he wouldn't run that?

He'd likely get caught from behind on either of these plays if he ran a 4.6-4.7.

0:14 mark

Last edited:

He seems to be fast enough for a role player and his strengths seem to be nice routes and overall jumping/athleticism although I was a little shocked when this happened vs Iowa last year. Maybe he wasn't 100% at that point of the season as he seemed to really have lead shoes. Unfortunately we don't really hear much about who the fastest guys on the team, as was common under Kill. It will be interesting to see what his official times turn out to be.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t-tMIK1p9Mc?start=7223" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How so?

What have you seen in his career to indicate he wouldn't run that?

He'd likely get caught from behind on either of these plays if he ran a 4.6-4.7.

0:14 mark

Hate to break it to you but against mediocre to bad teams, 4.6-4.7 times are fast enough to run away from these defenses usually.

Interesting conversation about TJ's speed being a potential concern regarding his NFL draft stock. Hard to expect that he would get significantly faster playing another year of college ball.

With the comments made above in mind, it seems like one of the major questions TJ is likely considering is which of the following is more significant/important?

1. Getting into a draft with a lower overall talent level (2019)
vs.
2. Having another year to improve breadth of routes, get more national exposure/buzz, prove he's over the drops, etc.

Wishing him the best whatever decision he makes!

Do you see him as small and quick? He is 6-2 200.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing he's more like 6-1 which is about average. I guess my point is you don't have to be super fast to be a successful WR.

So just to be clear, the question I posed would be for him to enter the draft this season after the bowl game. TJ will be a senior next year so he'll be gone after our 2019 season either way.

Derp. I don't know why I keep forgetting he's a Junior. Are you sure he didn't have a double secret medical redshirt that somehow only I know about??? :)

Based on that I definitely don't think he's going this year. He had a lot of drops last year and more than his share the first half of the season. With other factors that would hurt him a lot in my opinion.

If he has a good year next year where he doesn't have many drops that should help him a lot. The thing about the NFL is they don't want projects. They want guys who can come in and play. If there is a perceived weakness, they aren't going to spend the time to fix it, they'll cut bait and move on to the next guy (unless you are a first or second rounder, even then not always). In other words, his stock will drop if they think he's going to have the dropsies in the NFL.

I believe I noted in todays signing day press conference, coach was asked if he anticipated any additional players will leave the team early for the NFL (beyond Cashman, Greene) and his answer was no.... I'd like to take this statement to be in regard to Tyler Johnson.

I'm guessing he's more like 6-1 which is about average. I guess my point is you don't have to be super fast to be a successful WR.

Tyler was listed at 6-3 a lot on recruiting sites and hudl so I would think 6-2 is legit.

Agreed. He isn’t a burner in the NFL. I would think he could help his draft stock if he drops fewer passes next year, but more importantly catches a more diverse set of passes. I’d think he would be in the 4th-7th round right now. I really have no idea though.

Top Bottom