2019 Season: CC #45 at LB?

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more realistic I think it is that we see Carter playing mostly LB next season.

DEs: We will have Delatti back with a lot of experience. Renner showed flashes of being able to hold his own at DE, and Devers is still there for pass rushing. Big E gained a ton of experience this season and showed flashes of his raw talent, and you cant teach the size that guy has. Mafe was improving as the year went on. Lastly, we have Reigelsperger, Okonji and Ahanotu that all redshirted that were highly regarded coming in and sounds like they had nice years on the practice squad going against our much improved OL.

I still think CC would get plenty of opportunities to rush the passer on designed blitzes and come down to be a rush end on obvious passing downs.

Thoughts anyone?

The more I think about it, the more realistic I think it is that we see Carter playing mostly LB next season.

DEs: We will have Delatti back with a lot of experience. Renner showed flashes of being able to hold his own at DE, and Devers is still there for pass rushing. Big E gained a ton of experience this season and showed flashes of his raw talent, and you cant teach the size that guy has. Mafe was improving as the year went on. Lastly, we have Reigelsperger, Okonji and Ahanotu that all redshirted that were highly regarded coming in and sounds like they had nice years on the practice squad going against our much improved OL.

I still think CC would get plenty of opportunities to rush the passer on designed blitzes and come down to be a rush end on obvious passing downs.

Thoughts anyone?

I think he'll play all over the field, but as of right now, he is the only player we have that got any sort of pass rush, so I think it might be a bit of the inverse of what you said.

He'll, typically, be rushing the QB unless it's an obvious run down. I hope I'm wrong because that means one or more of these young DEs has really stepped up.

I think he'll play all over the field, but as of right now, he is the only player we have that got any sort of pass rush, so I think it might be a bit of the inverse of what you said.

He'll, typically, be rushing the QB unless it's an obvious run down. I hope I'm wrong because that means one or more of these young DEs has really stepped up.

This

Best case scenario is probably moving him to LB next year where odds are pretty good that he would be a beast but that can't happen until we start getting production out of other guys along the D-Line. Hopefully over the course of the bowl practices, spring ball, and fall camp some other options at the DE position start to come into their own so that Coughlin can shift back to a more natural position for him next year.

But none of that can happen until we start to get strong production out of some of the other guys along the D-Line. Like what I am seeing in terms of recruiting along the D-Line, just a matter of players living up to the hype and developing into the roles.

Yes, I think so too. I could see him playing in the role (and thriving) that Cashman played this year. Blitzing often and using his speed to cover tight ends and make tackles for losses. Count me as someone who is excited for both the offense and defense next year.

CC would probably make 10 sacks next year playing safety. He will be a sack machine anywhere on the field.

I'll go out on a limb and say CC is already playing his best position in this D. If he moves to OLB, I'll guess we will be less than thrilled about his production and be questioning why he isn't at DE. I feel he would be a very good 3-4 OLB where he can rush and blitz quite often, but I don't think he'll be a very good 4-3 OLB unless he's blitzing.

Thoughts anyone?

^^^ need more beef on standard downs although he definitely improved this season

I'll go out on a limb and say CC is already playing his best position in this D. If he moves to OLB, I'll guess we will be less than thrilled about his production and be questioning why he isn't at DE. I feel he would be a very good 3-4 OLB where he can rush and blitz quite often, but I don't think he'll be a very good 4-3 OLB unless he's blitzing.

Yep.

As i've said before Coughlin pretty much already is a 3-4 OLB even though he's not officially listed as that and we aren't officially a 3-4 team even though we pretty much are. He almost always stands up as opposed to having his hand in the ground, he almost always lines on on the edge, he almost always rushes the passer and he is occasionally asked to drop back into coverage. That is exactly what a 3-4 OLB does and it is exactly what CC will be asked to do at the next level.

Carter was in pass coverage only a handful of times this year.

It wasn't pretty.

Top Bottom