Different Coverage for Vikings

Two explanations:

- Media pretty much have to be more kiss-ass with pro teams because A) they can always flee town on you if they're not happy and B) there's always more money and notoriety involved for media outlets. You certainly don't want to get on their bad side or lose some level of access. It's why they've been loyal Pohlad pocket protectors with the Twins for so many seasons. You don't bite the hand that feeds. Minnesota A) isn't going anywhere and B) will always be second fiddle to pro teams in this town - meaning that they have to work extra hard to get media and public attention. Puts media guys at an advantage in the exchange.

- Middle/older aged sportswriter guy finds the middle/old-aged crotchety head ball coach Zimmer endearing, while young hot shots like Fleck rub him the wrong way.

I'd say it's more of the first explanation because Souhan didn't like Jerry Kill much either:
http://www.startribune.com/souhan-i...o-demean-jerry-kill-or-his-illness/223932901/

Last edited:

Zimmer made no secret he was frustrated with the offense's lack of running the ball and things. It was clear he was unhappy with the direction. Fleck defended Smith and said it wasn't a scheme issue.

Now, Soupcan isn't very knowledgeable imo regarding most things related to sports.

For the columnists it's all about what gets them the most clicks. For whatever reason (true or not) they have learned/decided that negative columns about the gophers get more clicks. Maybe they've learned that doesn't work as well with Vikings fans. I feel like I've read plenty of negative columns about the Twins though. I don't think it's really a conspiracy against the teams - it's just them trying to figure out what sells papers/drives clicks.

Given what I have seen out of the fan relations efforts between the U and the pro sports teams, I also wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers were just much worse with their media relations than the poor teams are.

Hmmm? Doesn't seem to be to flowery or over flowing with praise.

Mike Zimmer’s daughter revealed this week that the stress of coaching a faltering team has caused her father to lose 16 pounds.

Zimmer denied this. He said he’s lost 17.

If being Mike Zimmer is that difficult, imagine what it’s like to be Mike Zimmer’s offensive coordinator, or kicker.

Zimmer has experienced midseason breakups with two offensive coordinators in three years, with Norv Turner leaving in anger in 2016 and John DeFilippo being fired this week.

By early December of DeFilippo’s first season with the Vikings, Zimmer was publicly critiquing him. Zimmer has cut two kickers who were drafted by the Vikings in his five seasons as head coach.

After firing DeFilippo, Zimmer elevated longtime Vikings assistant Kevin Stefanski to the offensive coordinator job. When former offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur left to become head coach of the New York Giants after last season, Zimmer and Spielman hired DeFilippo and blocked Stefanski from leaving to become Shurmur’s offensive coordinator.

Publicly critiquing subordinates. Firing coaches. Cutting kickers. Blocking departures. Zimmer has the prerogative to make all of these decisions, and the responsibility to do what he believes is best for his team.

Is this approach what is best for his team?

Jeff Diamond, the former Vikings general manager and NFL executive of the year, sees Zimmer mimicking one of his mentors, legendary Giants coach Bill Parcells.

“I think it’s his upbringing in the coaching profession that influences that personality,’’ Diamond said. “He’s a Parcells disciple. That’s the way Parcells was. There would be players he would love and embrace. Lawrence Taylor, for example, even though Lawrence had his issues off the field. Parcells loved him, but he would butt heads with [quarterback] Phil Simms from time to time.’’

Diamond noted that Parcells and Zimmer were more likely to criticize offensive players, coaches and kickers than anyone involved with the defense. “You never hear him talking about his defensive coaches, just his offensive coaches,’’ Diamond said. “That’s the way it rolls here.’’

Diamond also said he thinks Zimmer is a quality coach who is likely to make the playoffs again this season.

Zimmer’s record with the Vikings is an impressive 45-31-1. He has made the playoffs twice in his first four seasons.

He won 13 games last year with a backup quarterback and a backup running back. He is a renowned defensive teacher and strategist, and was popular with fans and reporters as a coordinator in his three previous NFL stops.

He also seemed to tighten up during the second half of the playoff game against the Saints in January, allowing New Orleans to stage a dramatic comeback that was erased by the Minneapolis Miracle. The next week, his defense was shredded by the Philadelphia Eagles.

I’ve been interviewing people about Zimmer for five years, and this week I spoke with a few who have worked with him. Even off the record, they say little more than what we’ve heard frequently on the record.

When the Vikings acquired former Bengals safety George Iloka this summer, Iloka said: “Zim is Zim. You will always know where you stand, because he will always let you know.’’

Zimmer has been tough on offensive coordinators and kickers. He was reserved in his praise of Case Keenum last season. He has been notably loyal to special teams coach Mike Priefer, despite the failures of multiple kickers and punters.

Zimmer is entitled to that approach but should beware of the perils of modern coaching. Even good coaches get fired if they don’t win big, or if they are not deemed the right person to lead a franchise to a championship.

Zimmer can salvage this season and perhaps calm his stomach with a playoff berth and a playoff victory. Anything less, and the Wilfs may wonder how such a well-funded and talented team has earned just one playoff victory since 2009.

Listening around people are pretty hard on Zimmer right now. Many believe Zimmer and likely Spielman are on the hot seat. Their contracts are up after next season, so it could be easy to let them go. The frustrating part for me is that people and the media look at sports in a vacuum and relate to everyday jobs and world. They are not! In sports you have two teams trying to stop the other team from doing what they want to do. Also there is the psychological aspect and human nature of sports. Firings happen not because someone is bad at x's and o's, it's usually because players need a new voice, perspective, and motivator or they have made bad personnel decisions.

Take a look at the NFL standings. I did last week and noticed the on average every team was either 9 spots better or worse than last year. What changed? They're all professionals. Motivation, desire, perspective, complacency, injury etc. etc. That is why GM's and HC's and Coordinators get fired, because they don't get the most of of their professionals.

Fleck is just fun for the media to pick on at this time, but if he wins big, they will shut up.

Not sure I'd use Souhan to compare anything as desperate as he seems to be relevant. That said, PJ seems to provide a lot more opportunities to take shots. Zimmer reveals as little as possible unless he's pissed. P.J. just keeps expanding and explaining and there are also the gimmicks. Again, if the players buy in, it doesn't matter what some sports writer or someone on GH thinks.

Zimmer made no secret he was frustrated with the offense's lack of running the ball and things. It was clear he was unhappy with the direction. Fleck defended Smith and said it wasn't a scheme issue.

Now, Soupcan isn't very knowledgeable imo regarding most things related to sports.

Fleck doesn't throw people under the bus in public. Perhaps that's what you want to hear. I'm sure Fleck got on him in film etc. Personally I believe Fleck took the professional route and did acknowledge that there is a problem on defense. Just didn't express it the way that some people would have liked it. Each to his own I guess.

Fleck doesn't throw people under the bus in public. Perhaps that's what you want to hear. I'm sure Fleck got on him in film etc. Personally I believe Fleck took the professional route and did acknowledge that there is a problem on defense. Just didn't express it the way that some people would have liked it. Each to his own I guess.

When you are in very public position and you feel you are doing what you can and people still are getting after you then you have to make sure the people know where you are coming from. Otherwise you will be out of a job. It happens in anything very public. I've seen it in sports, university leadership, and even in elected officials. I remember Obama complaining about the republicans blocking him from doing what he was elected to do. Some people would say that it wasn't very presidential and he should have taken the high road. I will let you (the other posters) decide if it's right or wrong to bring it to the public.

Fleck is also good friends with Robb Smith. I'm sure that played into him not criticizing him publicly.

My opinion is it doesn't matter what is said publicly. All that matters is what is said and done privately during meetings and practice.

In the end, it's all about winning. The Gophers replaced a coordinator, and won 2 of their next 3 games, so its seen as a good move. The Vikings replaced a coordinator, and they won their next game, so it looks like a good move for now.

as far as the media coverage, I would say there's one major difference. Fleck, as noted, was publicly supportive of Smith up until the time he was canned. Zimmer has been taking shots at DeFilippo all year. Zimmer and Flip's relationship was becoming so toxic that it was impacting the team. They had to make a change. With the Gophers, there was no public friction. In both cases, media members were calling for the coordinators to be replaced. so, in each case, the coach made the move the media was calling for.

In this case the headline writer took the professional route by crticizing perceived dishonesty.

People can't have it both ways in this case. People can't complain about how Zimmer was patted on the back for a firing when he honestly intimated things were an issue with his offense and a firing was speculated by many, and then complain how Fleck is being treated "unfairly" due to his perceived dishonesty and dancing around his defensive issues. People see perceived dishonesty as a fault that can draw criticism...thus, the "unfari" coverage in this instance was warranted. That's my point.

I actually prefer the behind closed doors approach as I am a coach too, but you can't complain when people (in this case the writer) takes exception with publicly perceived dishonesty presented in interviews by Fleck which drew his criticism. (Spielman is consistently criticized for the smoke screens he sends out which is the same thing Fleck did with this. Fair in both cases.)

Its a Vikings town. They sell out every game and have for a long long time.
The Gophers are lucky to get 12-13 thousand.
Fact!

In this case the headline writer took the professional route by crticizing perceived dishonesty.

People can't have it both ways in this case. People can't complain about how Zimmer was patted on the back for a firing when he honestly intimated things were an issue with his offense and a firing was speculated by many, and then complain how Fleck is being treated "unfairly" due to his perceived dishonesty and dancing around his defensive issues. People see perceived dishonesty as a fault that can draw criticism...thus, the "unfari" coverage in this instance was warranted. That's my point.

I actually prefer the behind closed doors approach as I am a coach too, but you can't complain when people (in this case the writer) takes exception with publicly perceived dishonesty presented in interviews by Fleck which drew his criticism. (Spielman is consistently criticized for the smoke screens he sends out which is the same thing Fleck did with this. Fair in both cases.)

I guess I really don't understand why any of this matters. In the end both coaches made hires that didn't work out. They both made decisions to try to correct the issue. So far, they both look like good decisions.

I've seen several people say that it was obvious from the get go that DeFilippo wasn't a good fit for what Zimmer wanted to do (be more balanced, control the clock, etc).

I guess I really don't understand why any of this matters. In the end both coaches made hires that didn't work out. They both made decisions to try to correct the issue. So far, they both look like good decisions.

I've seen several people say that it was obvious from the get go that DeFilippo wasn't a good fit for what Zimmer wanted to do (be more balanced, control the clock, etc).

I agree; I get tired of the thin skinned, whiny, "the U gets negaive coverage" complaints all the time. If the U ever wins something worthwhile every few years it'll go away. We are a weak fanbase as far as accepting fair crticism and argument that doesn't fit into our optimistic box of grasping onto something that may point to our 50+ years of failure coming to an end.

We have to be the most optimistic fanbase to ever exist, b/c without optimism we don't have anything!!!

ps...for what it's worth like another poster pointed out, the Viking article isn't all unicorns and rainbows.

V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom