Logan Richter to OL

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
Saw it posted in another thread and wanted to discuss.

Appears he's being from from DT to OL.

What his status with the team after he ____ shirted (insert correct color here)? Is he a recruit? Currently enrolled, not practicing? Practicing? Other.

Curious where the change comes from. If it's something the staff has seen in practice or more of filling a need (OL) based on the coaches evaluation/measurables.

He was considered a pretty raw prospect as a DT. It sounds like the initial offer came because he was a naturally huge man that was pretty athletic.

He is built more like an OL than a DL, so I think the move makes sense.

Saw it posted in another thread and wanted to discuss.

Appears he's being from from DT to OL.

What his status with the team after he ____ shirted (insert correct color here)? Is he a recruit? Currently enrolled, not practicing? Practicing? Other.

Curious where the change comes from. If it's something the staff has seen in practice or more of filling a need (OL) based on the coaches evaluation/measurables.

I saw on 247 they list him as an OG, I haven't heard anything regarding an official plan from the gopher staff on what they are planning. He grey shirted so he did not practice but will be enrolling in class this coming semester, and counts towards the 25 players for this years class.

From what I heard Logan was offered immediately when they saw him.

He has "raw" talent and DT was what they pegged him for. The switch to OG - they probably see that as a more "natural" position for him.

Last edited:

Probably has something to do with the 3 DT recruits we have coming in...

I'm pretty sure he played OL and DL in high school. He looked pretty good on the DL in his HUDL film, although the level of competition didn't look real high. It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

He was considered a pretty raw prospect as a DT. It sounds like the initial offer came because he was a naturally huge man that was pretty athletic.

He is built more like an OL than a DL, so I think the move makes sense.

I've seen all shapes along DLs Bob so what's your idea of a OL build vs DT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen all shapes along DLs Bob so what's your idea of a OL build vs DT?

I'm just speaking in generalities, OL are taller on average than DT.

Richter was 6'4" 290 as a HS SR.

I'd imagine he will be closer to 6'4" - 6'5" 320 lbs in a couple of seasons.

Giant immovable stump versus tall timber?

Logan is a great story. I really wish the young man all the success he can handle.

I sure would like to know how much the Nutrition Table budget is for the Gophers Football team.

I am really interested to read about the decision to make a position switch (if it's actually happened) when it becomes public knowledge. I really liked him as a DT and was hoping he could be Lival Joseph type (I said type, I didn't suggest he could be that level of player) NT who has a lot of size but also is light on his feet. I believe him being young for his grade was one of the reasons the staff talked to him about enrolling a semester later. I would hope that if they did view as an OL as opposed to a DL that it was communicated a long time ago. It would seem to be quite a waste for the kid to go through an entire Summer/Fall of training to be a DT (I assume he's training with someone while not in school) and then show up for second semester and have a lot of that work go to waste. On the positive side, some of the better Olineman are former Dlineman who made the switch as they tend to be better athletes. It was a long time ago, but David Dixon came to the Vikings as a mammoth DT and Denny Green turned him in to one of the better RG's the Vikings have had in my time as a fan.

I am really interested to read about the decision to make a position switch (if it's actually happened) when it becomes public knowledge. I really liked him as a DT and was hoping he could be Lival Joseph type (I said type, I didn't suggest he could be that level of player) NT who has a lot of size but also is light on his feet. I believe him being young for his grade was one of the reasons the staff talked to him about enrolling a semester later. I would hope that if they did view as an OL as opposed to a DL that it was communicated a long time ago. It would seem to be quite a waste for the kid to go through an entire Summer/Fall of training to be a DT (I assume he's training with someone while not in school) and then show up for second semester and have a lot of that work go to waste. On the positive side, some of the better Olineman are former Dlineman who made the switch as they tend to be better athletes. It was a long time ago, but David Dixon came to the Vikings as a mammoth DT and Denny Green turned him in to one of the better RG's the Vikings have had in my time as a fan.

+1

It's a very short tenure, but I thought Callahan brought the offensive line along pretty well as the season wore on in 2018. Richter looks to have a lot of physical ability and hopefully Callahan can mold that into effective production.

Callahan turned out to be who I hope Warriner would be. Perhaps Callahan asked for Richter. That would be a great sign for the future of our OL. Perhaps better than either of the 2 in state we lost this year. Only time will tell.

Richter sounds more like a goalie.

Callahan turned out to be who I hope Warriner would be. Perhaps Callahan asked for Richter. That would be a great sign for the future of our OL. Perhaps better than either of the 2 in state we lost this year. Only time will tell.

We can only hope. Does anybody know if he indeed played OL in high school? If he did at least he would have had some experience to build off of instead of starting from scratch. If not, and I know the gray shirt rule has been discussed in other threads, but does he still have the option to red shirt for the extra year of eligibility (5 years to play 4)?

We can only hope. Does anybody know if he indeed played OL in high school? If he did at least he would have had some experience to build off of instead of starting from scratch. If not, and I know the gray shirt rule has been discussed in other threads, but does he still have the option to red shirt for the extra year of eligibility (5 years to play 4)?

He did play OT in HS. Some of his HUDL highlights are on offense and he has 5 years to play 4. He is like any other FR.

The thing with Richter is that I believe the staff feels like they are starting with a blank slate regardless of whether he is on offense or defense. It's a really talented blank slate (there are very few 300 lbs HS kids who can move), but raw nonetheless. In his HUDL tape, he is incredibly dominant, but he really isn't playing a ton of competition.

Richter is a big athletic dude that I am sure the staff thought they could mold into a good dt but based on the recent commits at that position it would be good to move him to another position and get him on the field rather than being behind others for playing time. If he is really that good of an athlete they should try to get him on the field however they can.

Logan Richter is the type of kid you'd want in your development program. Raw talent with a good physique who will be a solid contributor down the road.

With the number of DT's coming in this seems like a good move. The best thing about being athletic is that the body is able to learn new movements at a quicker rate. With his size it would be dumb to not at least try him on the o-line. It looks like we only had 1 other scholarship offensive lineman in this class. Building depth can be a beautiful thing, and this is a great example.

At this point in time he hasn’t practiced with the team. Why move him now, maybe he will become the best DT out of all of them. He has the biggest upside as he’s more raw than all the other recruits so greater room for growth. Why not let him start there this spring and see what happens. Then make a decision on moving him if he isn’t developing at DT. He’s going to RS either way more than likely so there’s plenty of practices to get him acclimated to whatever position he ends up playing.

We will start to get incications during spring ball. Right now I am more excited about spring practice than the Detroit Bowel.

I sure would like to know how much the Nutrition Table budget is for the Gophers Football team.

Now that the NCAA allows schools to gift unlimited amounts of food to student athletes, I too would be interested to know how the costs and accounting of provided food is handled, both at Minnesota and around the Big Ten.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it is simply a line item in the overall athletic dept, rather than accounted for by team.

The other interesting thing is that the total dollar amount value of an athletic scholarship is allowed to cover for a meal plan, but if athletes can just go to the nutrition center in the athletes village 20 times a week ... I guess that meal plan amount can essentially just be converted into extra $$$ for stipend?

I'm pretty sure he played OL and DL in high school. He looked pretty good on the DL in his HUDL film, although the level of competition didn't look real high. It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

Was 2017 his last season at Perham? Did he play football anywhere this fall?

Top Bottom