Shooter: Give Pitino credit for getting sophomore IW to be a pass-first PG

#1 It's one game in a row. #2 He always was willing to dish. #3 It's all the bad decisions he needs to minimize. He can be more than a pass first point guard but not if he plays for both teams in a game like he has in too many prior with all the times he triggers the break for the opponent (you can't defend many of the mistakes he was making...they're dunks on the other end). Couple that with matador defense and it's more that than anything why he was sitting. Yes, his shooting % was abysmal but he can shoot...it's the when and how of his shot selection that's crushing.

#1 It's one game in a row. #2 He always was willing to dish. #3 It's all the bad decisions he needs to minimize. He can be more than a pass first point guard but not if he plays for both teams in a game like he has in too many prior with all the times he triggers the break for the opponent (you can't defend many of the mistakes he was making...they're dunks on the other end). Couple that with matador defense and it's more that than anything why he was sitting. Yes, his shooting % was abysmal but he can shoot...it's the when and how of his shot selection that's crushing.

Agree with everything you said, but IW "getting it" is the only chance we have for a winning B1G season and trip to the dance. The two things that stood out to me above all others last game were 1) He took what was there, instead of constantly forcing things. 2. He played fantastic defense.

Good responses from both of you. Isaiah's issues have been with decision making and defense (and apparently work ethic in practice) not with being some kind of outrageous gunner. He's crucially important to this team as its best ball handler and being one of the few players that can actually get all the way to the rim off the bounce.

Amazing how effortlessly those 14 points came to him vs. North Florida. We're all watching his assist total balloon meanwhile he's pouring them in a bit. He's sooooo good at getting to the foul line and converting foul shots. A few layups will also fall into his lap if he stays focused on pass-first play. He can make the odd high-difficulty layup as well and he's not totally allergic to hitting a few threes.

Absolutely thrilled with that performance and excited to see if he can sustain.

Last edited:

I've never understood how players can't be motivated to play good defense playing against B1G competition, but then do against North Florida.

Something tells me its easier to look good in the latter.

I've never understood how players can't be motivated to play good defense playing against B1G competition, but then do against North Florida.

Something tells me its easier to look good in the latter.

Clearly the opponent always needs to be taken into consideration but in the case of Washington there has never really been much doubt about the talent being there, it really all comes down to consistency with him. He won't be able to do to Big Ten Teams what he did to North Florida but when his head is in the right place he can do some really impressive things on the basketball court. He just needs to play under control and focus on getting his teammates involved.

Top Bottom