An old tmers memories!!

Rog

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is my memory -

Back in the 30's we had a series of games with Notre Dame. (5 games if i'm correct) I traveling trophy existed. We won the series

and the trophy is now in our trophy room. We were in the National Spotlight then and (I just watched a rerun of the Wisconsin game) it just may be

that we are going to be inching toward that spotlight again. I may be counting chickens but ----

I'm excited.

All I can tell you is that Notre Dame is 4 - 0 - 1 vs. Minnesota, with the first matchup taking place in 1925 and the last in 1938.

All I can tell you is that Notre Dame is 4 - 0 - 1 vs. Minnesota, with the first matchup taking place in 1925 and the last in 1938.

That's how I remember it too.

Maybe it was a Participation Trophy. Can’t take those away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I remember it too.

I googled it and what you said, according to it, is correct. I (if my old mind is still working) will be at the DQ room Wednesday evening and hopefully find
the Trophy I was referring to.

Maybe it was a Participation Trophy. Can’t take those away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't everyone in the conference get one for the Gophers playing the game?

The tie came in 1927, if memory serves. A youngster named Bronko Nagurski blew up a ND play and forced a fumble
that ultimately resulted in the tying touchdown. The Gophers were very competitive with Notre Dame back then, but
just couldn;t get over the hump and beat either Rockne nor Layden

There was a trophy given out for the Dickinson winner of the national championship in 1925 via a math system Dickinson, an Illinois professor, had created - it was named after businessman Jack Rissman, who meant it for the Big Ten only; but Knute Rockne talked Dickinson and Rissman into making it the national championship trophy if they'd predate it to 1924 and award it that year to Notre Dame.There was an AP football writer who chose champions plus other "selectors" but Dickinson's award was the most prestigious. Notre Dame retired it in 1930 after three wins ('24, '29, '30) and it offered the Rockne Trophy, which Bernie Bierman retired in 1940, after winning it in 1934, 1936, '40. Minnesota then donated the Williams Trophy, which Notre Dame retired after winning in '43, '46 and '47. Over those years (after 1936) the AP Poll became more important and outshone these trophies.

Rog has the best stories. Would love to hang out with him and talk Gophers from well before I was born

Top Bottom