Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    How much is their contract worth?? And you're saying it is those dollars exactly that proves they're a top 10 program .... even though they have a 50k stadium, and are a smallish school (relative to some in P5), in a smallish state (that has two flagships), with a fanbase that I'm guessing is similarly sized?

Minnesota gets how many millions from the Big Ten, more than Oregon gets from the PAC?? That more than offsets whatever their Nike deal is worth.

I don't think you understand the discussion here.
    Youíre making a rationale argument in an irrational situation. Itís not just the money poured into the program. Oregon is a testing lab for Nike. They see things first. Itís very cool, to the kids as many people like to say. If your into Nike and think of them more than poor quality, sweatshop driven, carpet-bagging company, which many recruits do, there is appeal to being at Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoockItInfor6 View Post
    I canít recall ever seeing Oregon gear anywhere Iíve traveled.
    If this is true you either donít travel very much or arenít paying attention. A lot of their stuff isnít in school colors, but I see it everywhere I go.

Not to the same levels as some of the bigger helmet schools, but itís common. I notice Minnesota garb wherever I go, because, hey, thatís my school, but particularly in the larger area, airports I would say I see someone in something Oregon on every trip Iíve taken in the last ten years.

If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oak_street1981 View Post
    Oregon really blew up, at least on the west coast around the time of the 2003 Sun Bowl game., but Oregon was getting real strong before under Mike Bellotti. No one really noticed Oregon before Bellotti outside the Pac 10, other even though they were OK under Rich Broods before that.

Post Bellotti, when Chip Kelly became coach they really started getting a lot of attention, mainly due to the continued Nike funded flow of crazy uniforms, the wins vs. the traditional PAC Ten powers, but mainly due to the fast paced spread offense. Recruiting really picked up under Kelly as well, as USC declined.

I never bought into the whole idea that Oregon was some sort of massive national brand, but they did rise from being like Purdue or Illinois to being a huge national player, despite their backwater state location and small stadium.

Nike/ Phil Knight and the ability of the HC to draw California talent that previously had been going to UCLA, USC, Washington, or east to Eugene had a lot to do with it. The post Kelly regime (Hellfrect?) could not sustain the high level of success, and Taggert bailed after one year, so the jury is out on what will happen at Oregon, especially with UW and WSU on the rise under Peterson and Leach.

I think Oregon is looking at some leaner years, despite all the Phil Knight cash they have.
    Now how 'bout that! An actual, sensible take on Oregon, for what the school/program actually, really is.

Hat's off to you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    but I see it everywhere I go.
    Just proves the old adage: people see what they want to see. People read what they want to read, hear what they want to hear. Etc.

No where is this more prevalent than internet message boards.

Just proves the old adage: people see what they want to see. People read what they want to read, hear what they want to hear. Etc.

Thatís not the way I see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recruiting really picked up under Kelly as well, as USC declined.
    USC recruiting never really declined (until this year) but serial top 5 classes were squandered by a series of poor head coaching hires. Oregon appears to be going through a similar fading star phase which is the way of things, unless your jersey says Alabama (or maybe the incredibly consistent/and or lucky Badgers).

Maybe Oregon will improve and regain that incredible run they had, maybe not as Washington is the new Big dog in the north and WSU under Leach and Claeys should be competitive. USC will eventually pull its collective head out of its posterior and find a decent staff. They have too many advantages to stay down forever.

This literally describes you. You skipped over my question asking if Oregon is better at anything than Minnesota.

Maybe conference championships, stadium atmosphere, jerseys, playoff appearances, heisman trophies, general success. Minnesota is better in all of those?

The land of cows, colleges and content providers.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by haefs11 View Post
    This literally describes you. You skipped over my question asking if Oregon is better at anything than Minnesota.

Maybe conference championships, stadium atmosphere, jerseys, playoff appearances, heisman trophies, general success. Minnesota is better in all of those?
    I feel a mistake coming on.
    You can call me Shirley. The "S" has to stand for something!

How much is their contract worth?? And you're saying it is those dollars exactly that proves they're a top 10 program .... even though they have a 50k stadium, and are a smallish school (relative to some in P5), in a smallish state (that has two flagships), with a fanbase that I'm guessing is similarly sized?

Minnesota gets how many millions from the Big Ten, more than Oregon gets from the PAC?? That more than offsets whatever their Nike deal is worth.

I don't think you understand the discussion here.
    It's Knight's school. He's worth $30 billion. Don't tell me you are that niave.
    Last edited by PMWinSTP; 12-23-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Personally, I think the Gophers, can, should, and will tell him exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    Agreed. Coach wants guys who want to be here. If he's having 2nd thoughts well maybe he doesn't want to be here.
    Doesn't seem to be the case.

Blog Entries

Oregon Ducks has Maryjane! Kristian, if you want to be serious about a Pro career come to Gopher Country!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0hLiKHeS6Y
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    Doesn't seem to be the case.

Sure, that's nice of Burns to tweet ... and obviously Fleck told him that, as it was the right thing to say. But Burns isn't sitting their monitoring their activity on an hourly basis. We don't actually know how much effort Fleck is putting into KW, relative to before the early signing period. Certainly could be the same or more effort, but we don't know for sure.

Sure, that's nice of Burns to tweet ... and obviously Fleck told him that, as it was the right thing to say. But Burns isn't sitting their monitoring their activity on an hourly basis. We don't actually know how much effort Fleck is putting into KW, relative to before the early signing period. Certainly could be the same or more effort, but we don't know for sure.
    This is the same merry-go-round you couldn't get off when you were bent out of shape because you wanted to know the "real reason" Annexstad wasn't offered a scholarship out of high school. If you won't believe what Fleck says, or what is being reported he says, then there's no way you will ever be satisfied, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    there's no way you will ever be satisfied, my friend.
    I was eventually satisfied with the ZA situation. He took what we now know as a "Maroon Shirt", meaning he PWO for the first year and could then take a scholarship as it now only a year in before you don't count against a 25. At that time, we had already signed Vic to a scholly as a QB, and I'm sure ZA was thinking he would be the 3rd QB on the roster, manning the scout team, behind Vic and TM. Then would compete for the job in Spring 2019.

Really doubt anyone, Fleck included, expected Vic to perform as badly, and ZA to perform as well, as they did in Spring 2018.

Very unlikely that Fleck was the source for this.

Most of Burns sources are from the recruiting staff and the rest of the FB support staff, not the actual coaches. And because most of his info is being leaked as opposed to stated publicly, he gets the truth, not just the "right thing to say." Burns is of course extremely reliable with this type of info so I don't see a reason to doubt this would be the case.