Minnesota Lands 3-star K Michael Lantz

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
Nice to see Fleck had a backup ready to rock n roll. He seems to take his special teams seriously.

from 247.

P.J. Fleck and the Minnesota Golden Gophers picked up their twenty-fourth overall commitment overall in the class of 2019, landing Fayetteville (Ga.) Starrs Mill 3-star Kicker Michael Lantz.

Lantz was originally offered last spring by the Gophers before Minnesota landed a verbal from Camden Lewis. Lewis, who had been committed to the Gophers, is currently on an official visit to Oregon. Coach Fleck and Rob Wenger didn’t waste any time making a move with Lantz, offering him the suddenly open spot on the Gophers special teams unit.

Lantz turned down offers form Washington State and Louisiana-Monroe to commit to the University of Minnesota. If an official visit isn’t able to be scheduled this weekend, Lantz will likely take his trip north in January after the dead period. He did take an unofficial visit however last January (Junior Day) and May as well.

The 6-foot-0, 170-pound kicker is currently rated the No. 13 K in the country on 247Sports Composite, holding a 3-star grading of 0.8028. Lantz is the No. 10 kicker in the country on Kohl’s Kicking. Michael connected on 13 of 18 field goal attempts, while also kicking 59 of 62 kickoffs for a touch-back this year.

His addition to the class keeps Minnesota at the No. 35 spot in the 247Sports Composite national rankings and No. 8 in the Big Ten.

https://247sports.com/college/minne...esota-Lands-3-star-K-Michael-Lantz-126368743/

Last edited:

Nice to see Fleck had a backup ready to rock n roll. He seems to take his special teams seriously.

from 247.

P.J. Fleck and the Minnesota Golden Gophers picked up their twenty-fourth overall commitment overall in the class of 2019, landing Fayetteville (Ga.) Starrs Mill 3-star Kicker Michael Lantz.

Lantz was originally offered last spring by the Gophers before Minnesota landed a verbal from Camden Lewis. Lewis, who had been committed to the Gophers, is currently on an official visit to Oregon. Coach Fleck and Rob Wenger didn’t waste any time making a move with Lantz, offering him the suddenly open spot on the Gophers special teams unit.

Lantz turned down offers form Washington State and Louisiana-Monroe to commit to the University of Minnesota. If an official visit isn’t able to be scheduled this weekend, Lantz will likely take his trip north in January after the dead period. He did take an unofficial visit however last January (Junior Day) and May as well.

The 6-foot-0, 170-pound kicker is currently rated the No. 13 K in the country on 247Sports Composite, holding a 3-star grading of 0.8028. Lantz is the No. 10 kicker in the country on Kohl’s Kicking. Michael connected on 13 of 18 field goal attempts, while also kicking 59 of 62 kickoffs for a touch-back this year.

His addition to the class keeps Minnesota at the No. 35 spot in the 247Sports Composite national rankings and No. 8 in the Big Ten.

https://247sports.com/college/minne...esota-Lands-3-star-K-Michael-Lantz-126368743/

I take this to mean either Camden has told the staff he is not staying committed, or they pretty much expect Oregon to offer him and for him to go there.

I take this to mean either Camden has told the staff he is not staying committed, or they pretty much expect Oregon to offer him and for him to go there.

Or the staff didn't think there was much of a difference between the two and didn't want to get stuck without a kicker in this class. So they took the guy that truly wants to be here. All possibilities.

FWIW, according to Burns Lantz was the first kicker that we offered.

So does this mean Ryerse will transfer? Or are we going to hold a couple achollie guys?

So does this mean Ryerse will transfer? Or are we going to hold a couple achollie guys?

Word is Ryerse was moved to punter and hasn’t been impressive. Will be interesting to see if he’s on the roster next year.

Glad the staff had a back up plan locked in! #SkiUMah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from 247.

Good catch pharmacy.

Even if they think he will stay committed, I'd rather have someone who really wants to be here over someone who is exploring their options, assuming the talent level is fairly similar.

I would think you pull scholarship. Ryerse isnt even second string

That would sure make for some interesting recruiting conversations in the future. I can just see Coach Fleck telling a future recruit and his parents that the U has so much to offer by way of an excellent education, beautiful new facilities, a program on the rise; BUT if you don’t make the two deep roster, we’re going to pull your scholarship. So, whatcha say, wanna be a Gopher?

Last edited:

Seriously asking. What rules against pulling a scholarship for a non starter? I think he does transfer

Seriously asking. What rules against pulling a scholarship for a non starter? I think he does transfer

I believe the B1G has agreements/rules that scholarships can only be pulled for disiplinary or academic reasons.

But to your point, honest conversations can be had about future playing potential and a kid may decide he wants to transfer to see some playing time. But if he’s content being a scout teamer, makes the grades, and stays out of trouble his scholarship is safe.

Do the math. 85 scholarshiped players allowed by the NCAA. 2 deep plus special teams is roughy 50-55 kids.

Last edited:

Well, Gophs need a PK. But seriously..meh.

Kicker seems like it's one of the hardest positions to really predict how good they'll be (just ask the Vikings, and that's even going off of a college resume). The last minute switch here doesn't bother me much. New guy probably has equal chance of being just as good as the other guy.

It's hard to figure out offering a scholarship to a kicker early like they did with Ryerse.

He was a hot kicker early on in HS. What is it, is it mental or something else suddenly changed in his mechanics?

FWIW, David Cobb had a career turn-around with a change in attitude. IIRC, he was on the verge of transferring.

My point is that an epiphany or a mental switch is entirely possible. The potential is there. Can he go get help from somewhere in the summer?

I don't think PJ Fleck want to start pulling scholarships. It's unelite and a bad reputation to have.

But, he can have honest conversations.

FWIW, it good to see PJ Fleck doing what he was hired to do. Build the Gophers program up by improving the talent level and depth the right way.

As long as he practices what he preaches to the kids, that you can reach excellence through hard work and dedication. I have no problem with a head coach doing that.

"My job is to out recruit you".

For as long as I have followed the program, I want to see the Gophers overall talent level improving year to year.

That is the only way they can do a jail break out of an average finish of fifth place in the division since 2011.

Last edited:

Kicker seems like it's one of the hardest positions to really predict how good they'll be (just ask the Vikings, and that's even going off of a college resume). The last minute switch here doesn't bother me much. New guy probably has equal chance of being just as good as the other guy.

So there's not a single PK in MN who would come as a PWO?

I’m sure there is but it’s not uncommon to scholarship a kicker. Right now there are 25 schools (including Alabama, A&M, UCLA, LSU,and others) that have committed 2019 kickers with scholarship offers. You typically don’t need to have more than one of the roster and the backup is usually a walk-on.

This brings a point. I often wonder if you bring a Punter or a kicker on scholarship if they are too hard on themselves and let the pressure get to them. On the other hand, a walk-on might be at an advantage psychologically because they do not have the same pressure and are motivated to earn a scholarship.

I'd rather safe that extra scholarship for last minute high 3-Star or 4-Star additions like Houston, Hookfin, or Akporeghene if they are available.

The trouble is - special team play is absolutely critical. If a punter can land a kick consistently inside the five yard line, that can change the complexion of the game in a hurry. It is a big gamble though if it doesn't work with a scholarship kicker.

Last edited:

I believe the B1G has agreements/rules that scholarships can only be pulled for disiplinary or academic reasons.

But to your point, honest conversations can be had about future playing potential and a kid may decide he wants to transfer to see some playing time. But if he’s content being a scout teamer, makes the grades, and stays out of trouble his scholarship is safe.

Do the math. 85 scholarshiped players allowed by the NCAA. 2 deep plus special teams is roughy 50-55 kids.

They can take him off the roster and put him on an academic full ride or medical hardship full ride. It happened 2x to my relatives in other sports. Once at Wisconsin & once at the U.

I am sure there are. That wasn't really what I was arguing.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom