85 Scholarships - the definitive breakdown?

Blue shirt means he wouldn't be able to compete for the job this fall, correct? Not sure if that's what he agreed to when committing.

But yeah we might have to pull out all the stops. That would be really sad to not be able to give a scholly to Howden and even Annexstad ... I hope that is not the case. Would, sorry to say it, take back scholly from some other guys who haven't been significant contributors on the field this year.

Not sure how that would work since he has technically been recruited correct?

Howden and Ax can't have one until Juniors. How it works.

Not sure how that would work since he has technically been recruited correct?

I think I read the coach cannot have an in home visit, the recruit cannot take an official visit, and the recruit cannot sign a LOI.

I believe this is correct, they would not count...based on the all powerful google.

Can you provide any more info you have found?

I believe there is a difference between the 6th Year Medical Redshirt and Medical Hardship exemption. I thought the 6th Year Medical Redshirts (OJ Smith, Rodney Smith) counted towards the 85 limit. But the career ending Medical Hardships (like Jarvis Johnson) still get their scholarship but its not actually counted towards the team's total.

Howden and Ax can't have one until Juniors. How it works.

For some reason I thought it was 1 year from enrollment, but I believe you are right. 2 year waiting period. So that would free up two scholarships in theory.

Can you provide any more info you have found?

I believe there is a difference between the 6th Year Medical Redshirt and Medical Hardship exemption. I thought the 6th Year Medical Redshirts (OJ Smith, Rodney Smith) counted towards the 85 limit. But the career ending Medical Hardships (like Jarvis Johnson) still get their scholarship but its not actually counted towards the team's total.

Found this when doing a google search on the Mich. Board. A Med. Redshirt (because the player is going to play) counts towards the 85 a Med Hardship(because the player is not going to play) does not.
https://mgoblog.com/diaries/medical-redshirt-vs-medical-exemption-overview

I wonder if the kicker could blue shirt? I believe the rest of the commits have officially visited which would disqualify them.

I'm not sure how that would help. He'd still count as one of the 85, he just wouldn't count toward the 25 for this year.

I'm not sure how that would help. He'd still count as one of the 85, he just wouldn't count toward the 25 for this year.

It wouldn't count towards 85 until next year though, right? We'd bide ourselves some time.

It wouldn't count towards 85 until next year though, right? We'd bide ourselves some time.

A grey shirt certainly would- I'm not sure if him coming for unofficial visits etc disqualifies his eligibility for a blue though. What constitutes being recruited? He's committed so that would seem to negate his eligibility for a blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A blue shirt is given a scholarship on the first day of practice. So at that time they'd have to be under the 85 to be able to give him one, which it doesn't look like they would be. The real value of blue shirting is if you want to bring in a 26th player and you have a scholarship available (last year the Gophers would have been in that position).

If he gray shirted, then yes, it would only start to count next year.

A blue shirt is given a scholarship on the first day of practice. So at that time they'd have to be under the 85 to be able to give him one, which it doesn't look like they would be. The real value of blue shirting is if you want to bring in a 26th player and you have a scholarship available (last year the Gophers would have been in that position).

With the caveat that you can’t have been “recruited”, per x,y,z definitions. It’s all a load of BS to allow SEC schools to cheat more.

Top Bottom