85 Scholarships - the definitive breakdown?

WinLoseOrTy

Reaction score
85 scholarships is the absolute max for a season.

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm hoping to get some final clarity on how many spots are available next season and how many recruits we can take.

6th Year Medical (1)
Rodney Smith

Redshirt Senior (6)
Shannon Brooks
Chris Williamson
Winston DeLattiboudere
Bryce Witham
Sam Renner (was awarded scholarship in spring of 2018, will he remain on scholarship?)
Royal Silver

Senior (5)
Tyler Johnson
Tai'yon Devers
Kamal Martin
Thomas Barber
Carter Coughlin

Redshirt Junior (12)
Jason Dickson
Antoine Winfield Jr. (likely to have 3 seasons left via 6th Year Medical)
Coney Durr
Seth Green
Phillip Howard
Calvin Swenson (was awarded scholarship in fall of 2018, will he remain on scholarship?)
Kiondre Thomas
Ko Kieft
Bailey Schoenfelder (was awarded scholarship in fall of 2018, will he remain on scholarship?)
Conner Olson
Sam Schlueter
Ben Davis

Junior (1)
Justus Harris

Redshirt Sophomore (18)
Nate Umlor
Tanner Morgan
Chris Autman-Bell
Trenton Guthrie
Esezi Otomewo
Mohamed Ibrahim
Grant Ryerse
John Michael Schmitz
Boye Mafe
Malcolm Robinson
Kyle Sassack
Blaise Andries
Jake Paulson
Brock Annexstad (was awarded scholarship fall 2018, will he remain on scholarship?)
Demetrius Douglas
Harry Van Dyne
Noah Hickcox
Nathan Bursch

Sophomore (10)
Terell Smith
Daniel Faalele
Thomas Rush
Rashod Bateman
Bryce Williams
Benny Sapp III
Jamaal Teague
Mariano Sori-Marin
Jordan Howden
Zack Annexstad

Redshirt Freshmen (14)
Austin Beier
Nathan Boe
Jack York
Erik Gibson
Brevyn Spann-Ford
Mayan Ahanotu
Abi N-Okonji
Nolan Edmonds
Jornell Manns
Braelen Oliver
CJ Smith
Alex Reigelsperger
Josh Aune
Curtis Dunlap Jr.

Current Scholarship Underclassmen I Did Not Include
Dominik London
Jonathan Femi-Cole
Colton Beebe
Quinn Oseland
Bronson Dovich
Rey Estes

Incoming Players Early Enrollees (12)
Rashad Cheney
Keonte Schad
Jacob Clark
JJ Guedet
Jason Williamson
Treyson Potts
Mike Brown-Stephens
Solomon Brown
Logan Richter
Cole Kramer
Kelvin Clemmons
Brady Weeks

Total Current Scholarship Count For 2019

Incoming Class This Summer/Fall (9)
Tyler Nubin
Nnamdi Adim-Madumere
James Gordon IV
Donald Willis
D'Vion Harris
MJ Anderson
DeAngelo Carter
Cameron Wiley
Michael Lantz

Incoming Transfers (2)
Micah Dew-Treadway
Randall Grimes

2019 Commits Not Yet Signed(1)
Kristian Williams

Total Future Scholarship Count For 2019
90 without Williams
91 with Williams

So we have 5 or possibly 6 spots that need to open up. Does that mean former walk-ons (Renner, Swenson, Schoenfelder, B Annexstad) that were award scholarships in the past we a 1 year thing? Are there other transfers we don't yet know about? Or retirements?

Last edited:

Great analysis! Would be great to see just the numbers by position as well.

Assuming he’s coming back for 5th year (and I have noninfo to say otherwise), hoe could they possibly pull Renner’s scholly? He was consistently playing at a high level for us at DT all year.

We obviously need a few guys to move on. But who??

Thanks for the great post.

You’re onto something here with what this count means for the # of scholarships available for some combination of recruits and/or current players.

Wouldn’t like to see guys like Renner lose their scholarship. He seemed to be a strong contributor against the run, which is worthy of a spot on scholarship.

If I wasn’t typing from my iPhone, it would be interesting to the scholarship grid broken out by position to identify where the staff will focus future recruiting efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for doing this, it’s great. As tough as it is to envision how the roster fills out, the influx in talent is a wonderful problem to have. Might be interesting to note PJ guys vs old regime too.

Apologies I didn’t evolve the thread into a bitch fest on a Fleck extension, attendance woes, or suspensions. I’ll change my best....

I’m sure we’ll lose a few redshirt freshmen and sophomores that want to move back closer to home. It happens just about every year. And from the amount of d-linemen that we are recruiting, it probably means 1-2 are transferring.

There must be a few who plan to either transfer or graduate early. Plus, aren't kids like Udoibok gray/blue shirting?

Someone in the Gophers staff must be sharpening pencils. I can't figure this out no matter how hard I try.

Thanks WinLoseOrTy. There must be a few who plan to either transfer or graduate early. Plus, aren't kids like Udoibok gray/blue shirting?

Someone in the Gophers staff must be sharpening pencils. I can't figure this out no matter how hard I try.

Some big signings in the 2019 class. We are definitely gonna need some more guys to decide to transfer, retire, move on, etc.

Two of this year's scholarships went to a long snapper and a kicker.

The Gophers can never have enough scholarships.

Could be some academic casualties the coaches are aware of.

The two Smiths and Brooks don't count as they are medical redshirts...?

Last edited:

This is Brooks first redshirt. I think you have to have used your redshirt before you can be granted a medical redshirt.

Yeah but I think you can apply for a med redshirt any time you want. If granted, the "real" redshirt is saved. I think. I swear Brooks got a medical...

Some big signings in the 2019 class. We are definitely gonna need some more guys to <b>”decide”</b>to transfer, retire, move on, etc.

FIFY

FIFY

giphy.gif

With the 24 commits listed as of today, I believe Gophs need seven more spots to open up in order to stay at 85.

With the 24 commits listed as of today, I believe Gophs need seven more spots to open up in order to stay at 85.

2 of them, Udiobok and Cooper, are listed as _____ shirts (whatever color the proper term is), so I think it's 22 commits. I think that would be 5 spots (assuming the rest of your math is correct, I'm too lazy to look into it).

2 of them, Udiobok and Cooper, are listed as _____ shirts (whatever color the proper term is), so I think it's 22 commits. I think that would be 5 spots (assuming the rest of your math is correct, I'm too lazy to look into it).

They still count towards the 85.

They still count towards the 85.

I think they will be like Logan this past year- don't count toward total numbers until being assigned to 2020 class.

Are we sure Howden is going on scholarship?

I wonder if the kicker could blue shirt? I believe the rest of the commits have officially visited which would disqualify them.

Blue shirt means he wouldn't be able to compete for the job this fall, correct? Not sure if that's what he agreed to when committing.

But yeah we might have to pull out all the stops. That would be really sad to not be able to give a scholly to Howden and even Annexstad ... I hope that is not the case. Would, sorry to say it, take back scholly from some other guys who haven't been significant contributors on the field this year.

Top Bottom