Doogie talks Pitino fate, interesting Matthew Hurt analysis, skeptical of 2020

I am not dismissing the idea that Matthew Hurt will ever play for the Gophers or that he will play for the Gophers next year, but I am pretty much dismissing the idea that Matthew Hurt will play for Richard Pitino.

So is he saying Hurt doesn't like Pitino?

If you think the Blue Bloods are clean, then I got some ocean front property in Albuquerque to sell you.
The reality is that top recruits will never come to Minnesota consistently. Never have, never will. The other honest reality is that Minnesota has never had a consistently winning program while playing within the lanes of NCAA rules. Tubby was about the best we've had since Clem's earlier days, which were seemingly clean.

Sorry friends, MN is a hard place to win at. Pitino is our best hope to win and win in the right way, IMO.

As for identity--who cares? Just win!

Hoiberg seems like a nice guy. Royce White should ask him for royalties on his coaching career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reality is that top recruits will never come to Minnesota consistently. Never have, never will. The other honest reality is that Minnesota has never had a consistently winning program while playing within the lanes of NCAA rules. Tubby was about the best we've had since Clem's earlier days, which were seemingly clean.

Sorry friends, MN is a hard place to win at. Pitino is our best hope to win and win in the right way, IMO.

That's a cop out.

Wrong. What a defeatist attitude, with fans like you who needs badger trolls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doogie is going to keep on singing that elite level recruiting narrative. Meanwhile there are programs that built true winners, conference championships, NCAA tourney runs with classes ranked between 40 and 60. So much is built on the scouting and development that have nothing to do with internet rankings. Coaches do not look at a internet site and then recruit . Everyone wants the best talent they can get if they meet the criteria. That often means getting your 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice at a position and winning with them. There are some tremendous players on this team now and no reason to go 10-10.

thats all i can read on it.

Unless Pitino is a snake behind the scenes, seems like a pretty good guy.

It's very possible dad thinks Michael should be a Wooden award winner and he's not even starting for that dumb Pitino. I think it's more likely along those lines than Pitino being a snake, two faced or dirty. His fault is that he is sometimes too honest and shares too much truth.

It's very possible dad thinks Michael should be a Wooden award winner and he's not even starting for that dumb Pitino. I think it's more likely along those lines than Pitino being a snake, two faced or dirty. His fault is that he is sometimes too honest and shares too much truth.

This guy is in the know!

2 things on this whole recruiting bit

1. Need to recover from last season and show we can win on the floor. The talent is there. Very few kids want to go to a program who will miss the postseason. Need to get there (which will show the pieces are there for next season given what we lose and have coming in/back currently)

2. Amir continuing to develop and take ownership. He wasn't that way when he came in. If he becomes a true alpha, shows that Pitino can develop a guy and make him a draft prospect or enhance his status. People liked Amir's game but it wasn't NBA material. IF he plays like he did against Nebraska, that becomes a different conversation and for these high tier kids, they want to know they're going to be set up to the NBA, which Pitino hasn't done to this point. Amir is his chance to show that. Additionally, will make Amir go down as one of the greats to play here (again if he stays in this attack mode) as he will start to get the numbers that will put him up there. That, imo, will help leaps and bounds for our instate recruiting if one of the local guys blows up and will give Pitino a chance to do the same with Oturo, Gabe, etc.

If Coyle isn't paying attention to what Damien is doing at North St. Paul, he's hiding under a rock. If I were him, I'd be happening to run into him at one of his games and suggesting to him that, if he ever wants to get into college coaching, hit up his alma mater first. If he had that itch and I were AD, I'd find a way to get him onto the staff in some capacity.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

thats all i can read on it.

Unless Pitino is a snake behind the scenes, seems like a pretty good guy.

I remember hearing a few years ago that the Hurt's dad really liked Rick Pitino. I'm sure it was all rumors, but I remember hearing that. I would love to have both Hurt's enrolled at the U next fall.

If Coyle isn't paying attention to what Damien is doing at North St. Paul, he's hiding under a rock. If I were him, I'd be happening to run into him at one of his games and suggesting to him that, if he ever wants to get into college coaching, hit up his alma mater first. If he had that itch and I were AD, I'd find a way to get him onto the staff in some capacity.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Damian is doing a fantastic job but athletic directors do not force high school coaches onto college coaching staffs. Now if your talking about hiring him as a head coach he can do that.

Damian is doing a fantastic job but athletic directors do not force high school coaches onto college coaching staffs. Now if your talking about hiring him as a head coach he can do that.

Are you saying that high school coaches don't become college assistants? Or that ADs don't hire them? I think ADs are the hiring agent for every coach.

NEVER is a very strong word.

Defensive lineman will never come to gopher football either. Just ask Fleck!

Yea, never in the history of Gopher football did anyone ever say that we would never get a defensive lineman! :cool:

Go Gophers!!

Never said high school coaches do not become college assistants but i can tell you that as someone whose firm represented and still represents coaches that it is rare and that college head coaches hire their staffs. Coyle is most definetly not hiring a high school coach for one of the staff positions here. If Pitino does not hold power over that then his agent did not do their job.

I think there's a way to triangulate what we're getting between Chip and Doogie, and I think it's coherent and makes sense - and more or less jibes with what I've been thinking myself. I do agree with Chip that Richard's safe this year, barring an inexplicable collapse, even if they don't make the NCAAs. That said, his major crisis comes later. It's not hard to see the storm clouds on the horizon considering how poorly recruiting seems to be going for 2019 and 2020. I don't see a long-term improvement in the offing over the 35% conference winning percentage to date, and that shouldn't be considered acceptable at the U.

If that's true, why wouldn't you pull the trigger and move on after this year? If you can see that we're on the decline in recruiting, why wait for the inevitable ? It's the same reason we moved on from Tubby when we did. It's not that getting to the 2nd round of the NCAA's is unacceptable. It's that it was pretty clear that was the peak and it was going to go downhill from there.

If Doogie doesn't think Hurt is coming here then I like our chance even more.

We should be honest here. Doogie is amazingly consistent...

So I like our chances too...

I thought the practice facility and the allure of playing in historic Williams Arena was supposed to have us attract 5 star recruits. If we can't lock down even the best of the local players then this needs to change. There are no more excuses.

Never said high school coaches do not become college assistants but i can tell you that as someone whose firm represented and still represents coaches that it is rare and that college head coaches hire their staffs. Coyle is most definetly not hiring a high school coach for one of the staff positions here. If Pitino does not hold power over that then his agent did not do their job.

Fair enough, but Tubby did get told by Maturi who and who not to hire.

If that's true, why wouldn't you pull the trigger and move on after this year? If you can see that we're on the decline in recruiting, why wait for the inevitable ? It's the same reason we moved on from Tubby when we did. It's not that getting to the 2nd round of the NCAA's is unacceptable. It's that it was pretty clear that was the peak and it was going to go downhill from there.

I've been clear and consistent on this, but I'm happy to repeat. If you're going to stick with him this long, this is the least logical year to cut bait with him in my opinion. You just lost one of the most productive guards in program history, and you're relying heavily on freshmen. Growing pains this year should not be a firing offense. I'd have gone a different way prior to this based on Pitino not having lived up to the hopes the previous administration had when they brought him in. No 5-star recruits in the most productive talent-producing era in state history, a 35% conference winning percentage, and only one NCAA appearance in 5 years. Norwood hired him hoping he'd either be a recruiting whiz or the next Shaka Smart or both. He has been neither. In contrast, although it's too early to project Lindsay Whalen as a hall-of-fame coach, she's immediately got that team 1) playing great defense, 2) exhibiting a consistent identity on both sides of the ball, and 3) understanding their roles and playing to their strengths. Those are the hallmarks of a great coach.

Never say never. There's no reason Minnesota can't become consistently competitive, in which case, top recruits are likey to come consistently.

Pretty funny that people even expect 5 stars after winning. There are about 20-25 per year. Lets say 5 can not get in. That leaves 20. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas take 2-3 average so that leaves 12-14. Villanova, Arizona, Indiana, MSU, UCLA take 1-2 . Now that leaves 3-4 and then comes Michigan, UNC,FSU and OSU. That about does it. UW has had 2 in 20 plus years of great success. UVA has had 1 in the run of unprecedented ACC success over 5 years. The state of Virginia produces a great deal more talent than Minnesota but there are few that stay home. North Carolina produces tremendous talent, hardly anyone stays home. Give me more Murphy's that stay 4-5 years, great coaching and we ill win.

Pretty funny that people even expect 5 stars after winning. There are about 20-25 per year. Lets say 5 can not get in. That leaves 20. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas take 2-3 average so that leaves 12-14. Villanova, Arizona, Indiana, MSU, UCLA take 1-2 . Now that leaves 3-4 and then comes Michigan, UNC,FSU and OSU. That about does it. UW has had 2 in 20 plus years of great success. UVA has had 1 in the run of unprecedented ACC success over 5 years. The state of Virginia produces a great deal more talent than Minnesota but there are few that stay home. North Carolina produces tremendous talent, hardly anyone stays home. Give me more Murphy's that stay 4-5 years, great coaching and we ill win.

Musselman, Dutcher, Haskins, Monson and Smith all signed at least one 5-star athlete.

Musselman, Dutcher, Haskins, Monson and Smith all signed at least one 5-star athlete.

Exactly my point, in 40 years about 7, so one every 6 years or so. And the vast majority of that 40 was mediocrity. Look up the records of those coaches.

Exactly my point, in 40 years about 7, so one every 6 years or so. And the vast majority of that 40 was mediocrity. Look up the records of those coaches.

Bo Ryan's best team had a 5-star player on it, and they wouldn't have gotten as far as they did without him.

Adeptly stated.

I’m not an anti-Pitino guy by any stretch, but 6 years in am still wondering what program’s identity is. Can’t think of one thing we can hang out hat on.

Iowa? Fast pace, score.

Michigan? Precision, free-flowing offense, shooters.

MSU? Pound the glass, run it up your backs on made or missed shot.

OSU? Toughness.

Rutgers? Get after it on D (because of O limitations).

Wisconsin? Low turnovers, smart, won’t beat themselves.

Those are just a few.

MN? Inbound out of bounds plays?

Top Bottom